Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to contact Tesla if 2-factor authentication device or app is lost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How to contact Tesla if 2-factor authentication device or app is lost?

Multi-Factor Authentication | Tesla Support says "If you cannot access your registered device or your backup codes, contact us."

However, the "Contact Us" button on Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support requires a login, which cannot be done.
Their chat help only works if you can still log in. I guess you can go to a store and see if they can get a connection to corporate help. You can also try calling roadside assistance and see if they can get you connected. If losing your authenticator, there is a possibility of being locked out of car, so I presume that is a case they might be able to help. The only issue is what verification questions they may ask.
Roadside Assistance | Tesla

I guess if you use an authentication device, then make sure you have backup codes you can access even if you lose your phone.

Was already logged in on the phone app, but there was no obvious way to contact the part of Tesla that could handle this issue from the phone app.

What was needed was calling +1-877-798-3752 (from Roadside Assistance | Tesla ) and then trying the various options until getting to be able to speak to a person who could redirect the call to someone who could handle 2 factor authentication issues. Most of the phone tree (car service, home charging service, solar service) leads to a dead-end for this purpose (instructions to use the app or web site). Only the roadside assistance option was able to get to speaking to a live person.

Go to Tesla's website and click on a vehicle, any vehicle your little heart desires. In the bottom right corner of the page that loads, click on the chat icon. For the How can we help you? question, click Buying Tesla Products 😉 The form that loads will ask for some basic information - name, email, phone, zip - fill it out and click Start Chat. Tell the nice chat advisor you get connected to your predicament and ask who you're supposed to reach out to. This may also work.

How about calling your SC? The only number I have is mine in Tempe, AZ (602-643-0024), but I suspect if you use that #, the call routing system will send you to yours (it keys on your phone number). Follow the prompts to get to your local SC (it will ask what you need, I just say "I want to talk to my advisor"). While they push us to use the app for all service issues, I always speak to my SA before taking HAL in for anything. I'd bet you'll get live guidance following this route.