Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to control temp without turning off defogger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheAustin

Model X 90D (Former Model S P85)
Sep 12, 2011
The Hamptons
When I hit the image on the touchscreen (it's not a button! ;) ) for the front Defogger, it does two things: It puts the heat on HI and the Fan Speed on 8 (max)...I figured out how to turn the fan speed down (from the right-hand click-wheel), but as soon as I try to lower the temperature, it shuts of the Defogger...Anyone else having this problem? Anyone figured out a work-around? I'm on version 4.1, FYI...Thanks :)

When I hit the image on the touchscreen (it's not a button! ;) ) for the front Defogger, it does two things: It puts the heat on HI and the Fan Speed on 8 (max)...I figured out how to turn the fan speed down (from the right-hand click-wheel), but as soon as I try to lower the temperature, it shuts of the Defogger...Anyone else having this problem? Anyone figured out a work-around? I'm on version 4.1, FYI...Thanks :)

This is pretty common standard result in new cars. It's a safety issue, sometimes the windows fog up in a split second, like pulling out of a heated garage into cold air.

On the climate controls, Tap the auto on button to open the climate controls, 3rd one down, select the windshield ( and the other vents you want on also) , then set the fan speed to 4 or 5( or whatever setting you like). And you are done. I never use the defog button as the high heat was too much.

Capt601 is correct. The defogger button is for a quick clear, you can adjust the temp and speed as he describes.

Nigel,

In my other cars I can't run the front defroster without setting the vent to outside air.

So in the interests of completeness is the following correct?

Set Climate Controls to ON
Set recirculation to outside air
Set air flow to windshield
Set fans speed to preferred speed

Do you have a preferred temperature setting for our Florida climate?

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:
I have to admit that reading threads like this gives me a bit of a sinking feeling, reminds of of how controlling the defogging in the Leaf required making a serious study of the cars ICE-centric climate control system. Please tell me that you can independently adjust air to any vent, with the heater on or off... being forced into a foot/defog mode in the Leaf leads to frozen feat if you turn the CC off and try and rely on passive air flow, or if you leave the CC on and use defrost, the climate control turns into a black hole of energy consumption and you can easily eat half your range!

I have to admit that reading threads like this gives me a bit of a sinking feeling, reminds of of how controlling the defogging in the Leaf required making a serious study of the cars ICE-centric climate control system. Please tell me that you can independently adjust air to any vent, with the heater on or off... being forced into a foot/defog mode in the Leaf leads to frozen feat if you turn the CC off and try and rely on passive air flow, or if you leave the CC on and use defrost, the climate control turns into a black hole of energy consumption and you can easily eat half your range!

Yes Monkey, you can independently control airflow to the windshield, torso, or feet. They are toggle buttons. Any combination of those destinations can be on or off at any time.

Why document it until the feature actually works as desired?

Because we don't know if it's working as desired. There's too many things where we end up speculating on what's a feature and what's an issue. Customers shouldn't be left to speculate on how the AC should work.

I love both my Teslas, and I'm invested in the company, but it's a little surreal that on this piece of complex high-end technology the best source of information is an independent forum and not the company or product documentation.

[/rant]

I love both my Teslas, and I'm invested in the company, but it's a little surreal that on this piece of complex high-end technology the best source of information is an independent forum and not the company or product documentation.

Don't feel bad, the Prius is the same way. Forums and the Yahoo groups are better for information than Toyota or the dealers. I will give Toyota the nod for better documentation, but you have to go to the forums or groups to find out where the good documentation is. (It sure doesn't come with the car.)

No worries. I was driving in -35 (with windchill, which is technically non-moving objects) and this is the first car I've owned that I can actually keep my feet warm in. I set everything to manual because it's easier to fine-tune that way; I had to use the "quick defrost" icon once because I accidentally changed a setting while fooling around with the steering wheel controls. But this car has the best heating I've ever had. No more waiting 15 minutes before getting warm!

I have to admit that reading threads like this gives me a bit of a sinking feeling, reminds of of how controlling the defogging in the Leaf required making a serious study of the cars ICE-centric climate control; please tell me that you can independently adjust air to any vent, with the heater on or off... being forced into a foot/defog mode in the Leaf leads to frozen feat if you turn the CC off and try and rely on passive air flow, or if you leave the CC on and use defrost, the climate control turns into a black hole of energy consumption and you can easily eat half your range!

No worries. I was driving in -35 (with windchill, which is technically non-moving objects) and this is the first car I've owned that I can actually keep my feet warm in. I set everything to manual because it's easier to fine-tune that way; I had to use the "quick defrost" icon once because I accidentally changed a setting while fooling around with the steering wheel controls. But this car has the best heating I've ever had. No more waiting 15 minutes before getting warm!

+1.

On a related topic, I had a Leaf driver in my car yesterday and he said he'd never had his car anywhere near that warm - he can't afford the range to use his heater!

Thanks capt601 - your suggestion has worked perfectly for me. Love the info gleaned in this forum.

On the climate controls, Tap the auto on button to open the climate controls, 3rd one down, select the windshield ( and the other vents you want on also) , then set the fan speed to 4 or 5( or whatever setting you like). And you are done. I never use the defog button as the high heat was too much.

OK that makes me feel better! there is a reason Nissan is switching to a heat pump in the 2013 Leaf, resistive coil heating eats energy.

Having just picked up my car during a snowstorm, I was bothered by the mandatory hi temp with the defroster on. This solution of manually directing the air flow to the windshield is helpful, but then (I assume) the AC compressor isn't on, as it is with the defrost setting. Is this correct? On every other car I've owned the AC running is the most important part of defrosting.

The top button in the stack should allow you to control having the AC-> ON/OFF/AUTO

Peter

Having just picked up my car during a snowstorm, I was bothered by the mandatory hi temp with the defroster on. This solution of manually directing the air flow to the windshield is helpful, but then (I assume) the AC compressor isn't on, as it is with the defrost setting. Is this correct? On every other car I've owned the AC running is the most important part of defrosting.

I suppose that AC can speed things up; but I find in Manitoba at least it's not necessary. When you draw in cold outside air and heat it up, it will have a lower RH% than your warm interior air. Perhaps if the air outside is quite humid and not too cold AC would be useful.