Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to convince landlord to install NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an apartment building in Toronto managed by Minto. Any suggestions on how I might approach them to convince them to have NEMA 14-50 power installed for myself and 2 other Tesla owners in the building? We're open to covering part of the installation cost.

Reactions: KJD
Condo or apartment? When we sold our house to downsize, we looked at some 27 apartments. Hookup of my EV was a criteria. We were lucky as the community manager understood the future. They did my hookup with my L2 charger which I now use with my M3. You could use the argument that they will attack more modern tenants and on the side, with more money as these cars aren’t cheap.

And the consumption of the car is not even a rounding error on the overall building electrical use, unless the building is so old thought they don’t have the infrastructure for it.

1644459172109.jpeg

I feel your pain. I am in a rental condo and I'm trying to get the landlord to install or allow me to install.
But if push comes to shove I can use the 120V and survive daily grind. Use the Level 2's within 1 km for heavier charging when needed or the supercharger 15 km's away.

This is an easy one.

Convince the owner to install pay use chargers. This will be a new revenue stream for the building owner. Unfortunately at times these can be rather expensive if there are great distances to cover in the garage.

A happy middle ground would be you pay for the electrical conduit and wiring, they pay for the chargers and hardware, you pay for use. If you pay for the install the smart chargers can be set up to only work with your RFID card.

DM me if you need more info as my company does these type of installation's.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
This is an easy one.

Convince the owner to install pay use chargers. This will be a new revenue stream for the building owner. Unfortunately at times these can be rather expensive if there are great distances to cover in the garage.

A happy middle ground would be you pay for the electrical conduit and wiring, they pay for the chargers and hardware, you pay for use. If you pay for the install the smart chargers can be set up to only work with your RFID card.

Does your company do conversions? By this I mean that I have a 25amp Clipper L2 on a dryer plug setup in mt parking spot. I've been considering upgrading to a Tesla wall charger. I am currently on a 40amp circuit. Would it make sense to just slap a plug on the wall charger and bolt it to the piller?

It is rough, very situation dependant. I would hope that if you are willing to cover cost that they would go for it but depending on the distance, cost would be in the thousands maybe 5 figures...
Wow could it really cost that much? It's not a very large garage.

I feel your pain. I am in a rental condo and I'm trying to get the landlord to install or allow me to install.
But if push comes to shove I can use the 120V and survive daily grind. Use the Level 2's within 1 km for heavier charging when needed or the supercharger 15 km's away.
I'd gladly use a 120v but I unfortunately don't even have that option. I just figured if I was going to have them install power, might as well be a 14-50. Is the price difference between the two significantly different?

This is an easy one.

What are the best options for pay use chargers? I feel like if I don't do the legwork and lay out the options clearly for them, they'll just say no to avoid having to actually do something (gotta love Toronto landlords).

Wow could it really cost that much? It's not a very large garage.

I'd gladly use a 120v but I unfortunately don't even have that option. I just figured if I was going to have them install power, might as well be a 14-50. Is the price difference between the two significantly different?

What are the best options for pay use chargers? I feel like if I don't do the legwork and lay out the options clearly for them, they'll just say no to avoid having to actually do something (gotta love Toronto landlords).
If the owner is willing to talk, we can provide an estimate.

Not sure I see a dryer outlet in this photo.
Y’a, that was my old house when I had the Volt. My new parking spot in oyou’re apartment building is using the same L2 charger on a 40 amp breaker. This is why I was wondering what is involved in getting a Tesla charger installed using the same outlet. This way I don’t get the building involved.

In my building its around 4k for installation, you provide the hardware, then they have a hefty deposit that pays the monthly fees and the power consumed, you then pay the bill essentially topping up the deposit. When you leave you have to pay to have it all removed. TipTop lofts is similar except they can leave the wiring.

In my building its around 4k for installation, you provide the hardware, then they have a hefty deposit that pays the monthly fees and the power consumed, you then pay the bill essentially topping up the deposit. When you leave you have to pay to have it all removed. TipTop lofts is similar except they can leave the wiring.
Kinda "flat world" thinking, wouldn't you agree? Jeez, why do these building management groups, put the oneness all on us, only to profit from it?