Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to convince my wife to get a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two kids 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. We currently drive an '08 and 2012 Equinox. I'd like to replace the older Equinox with a Model 3. First she says that it's way to expensive. Then she tells me she wants a Honda Odyssey to be able to haul more people other than our kids in some situations. So considering the cost of the Odyssey, cost isn't the total issue. We test drove a Model S P90D last August. She says we need a van first. I think we should get the Model 3. Am I right or is she? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have two kids 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. We currently drive an '08 and 2012 Equinox. I'd like to replace the older Equinox with a Model 3. First she says that it's way to expensive. Then she tells me she wants a Honda Odyssey to be able to haul more people other than our kids in some situations. So considering the cost of the Odyssey, cost isn't the total issue. We test drove a Model S P90D last August. She says we need a van first. I think we should get the Model 3. Am I right or is she? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lets see:

Odyssey - she's happy.
M3 - you are happy.

Odyssey - she drives?
M3 - she drives? lol.

HMMM......Model Y? both happy?

Looks like a little patience might be necessary for the "both happy" verdict.

I would wait for the next TESLA big announcement before doing anything. Maybe the 31'st of this month?

If the choices are between a compact sedan vs. a minivan, i think you two might be on different pages.

i don't know your financial situation, but if there are no issues with car, you could keep the cars you currently have for longer and enjoy having no car payments and save the money. As Elon says, Tesla will continue to innovate with new features/products every 18-24 months so you will always be waiting for the next best thing.

If money isn't an issue, and you don't want to wait...there is always a new/pre-owned Model X option :) or like the above post stated, wait for the Model Y.

It's simple - take a test drive with mdl 3 and make her drive it.
I guess it depends on how soon OP needs a replacement vehicle. Since he hadn't already reserved one, he wouldn't be able to get one until 2019 at the earliest. With that in mind, if he and his wife are in no hurry to make a decision then, yes, there may be time for demo cars to make it to a local store and opportunity to take a test drive

You still have a lot of time ahead of you (probably a good 12 years) to be hauling around kids so I wouldn't push to get a M3. When our kids were that age we were constantly driving them and 1 friend each somewhere. Assuming you're along for the ride as well that leaves you 1 seat short. Either lease or buy a used Odyssey and in 3 to 4 years buy a Model Y. The lease is a bit risky since we currently have no clue when the Y will be available so if you're okay buying used that might be the way to go.

1. Don't tell your wife that you asked for help to convince her on the Tesla Motor Club. ;)
  2. Buy what makes sense for your family.
  3. Don't try to convince her before the car is available for a test drive.
  4. As prices aren't available yet for the Model 3, it seems premature to discuss affordability.
  5. Further, since specifics of the car aren't available yet either, I'd again wait to have more information before having another conversation.The two cars you're considering are so different, I can't imagine trying to present a compelling reason right now for a Model 3 (especially being compared to a mini-van).
  6. Look into other EV options at the time you want/need to buy a new vehicle. Maybe a Model 3 won't be the best choice, but there might be another option that she likes.
  7. Consider other costs of owning a EV (like upgrading your electrical for example).
  8. Unfortunately, Wisconsin doesn't have any specific benefits to new owners of an EV. Further, until Tesla announces how service will work for a Model 3, you may want to wait. Marshfield is a long way from your nearest service center located in Eden Prairie (180 miles).
  9. Come up with compelling and rational reasons for wanting a Tesla Model 3. Maybe there are other ways of achieving similar results. For example: Is it for environmental impact reasons? Maybe there are other ways to offset the use of an ICE mini-van (solar panels, etc.)
  10. If you haven't reserved a Model 3 yet, it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to get one for 12-18+ months, especially as you're not located on the West coast where deliveries are likely to begin first (and if current Tesla owners are expected to get their Model 3s first).
  11. Maybe one could eventually be a replacement for the second vehicle (the 2012)...?

We would be only able to replace one vehicle at a time. Pay one off and then get the other if needed. I guess I was looking at it as why would we need a minivan when we have an Equinox. It's hard to not want to make the Model 3 our next purchase when it's a Tesla finally in our price range. In the end my wife has final say and if the minivan wins out then minivan it'll be. The Tesla will have until wait next time. Thanks for everyone's input. Sometimes you need outside perspective on things.

Would you dictate to your wife what vehicle to get next if it was primarily her vehicle?
Then why is what is primarily your vehicle being dictated to you?

It's not like you're wanting to get something impractical like a Vette or Roadster. You want a vehicle that's safe, incredibly efficient, and suits your family's needs. At the lower end it costs about the same as the Odyssey. Rent a minivan on Turo the two times a year you need to haul more than the Equinox will handle.

If it were the reverse, and she wanted a Model 3 and you were insisting she get an equal cost minivan you'd be labeled an awful husband.

Sorry, but fair is fair.

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
Would you dictate to your wife what vehicle to get next if it was primarily her vehicle?
Then why is what is primarily your vehicle being dictated to you?

It's not like you're wanting to get something impractical like a Vette or Roadster. You want a vehicle that's safe, incredibly efficient, and suits your family's needs. At the lower end it costs about the same as the Odyssey. Rent a minivan on Turo the two times a year you need to haul more than the Equinox will handle.

If it were the reverse, and she wanted a Model 3 and you were insisting she get an equal cost minivan you'd be labeled an awful husband.

Sorry, but fair is fair.
It would play out like it has in the past. We'd sell the '08 Equinox that I drive. Buy the minivan then I'd get her 2012 Equinox. Unless we buy a Model 3. Then I'd drive the new vehicle. It'll be a decision that waits until pricing of the Model 3 is finally revealed.

We chose the CPO Model S over a minivan because I couldn't wait for the 3. Total cost of ownership should be lower on my Tesla than a similarly priced loaded Honda oddessey. My wife was hesitant at first but since we got the car last June she's driven it more than me by choice.

Also I have 3 small kids and their gear (4 and 2 yr old twins). Yakima skybox for road trips and internal cargo space is no issue.

Plan is to ditch the ice and possibly the S and have two Model 3's. Though we may keep the S depending how the 3's trunk storage ends up.

Assuming you have a garage, tell her she can preheat the Model 3 while it's in the garage. That sold my wife back in 2014 and now both of our cars are EVs.
I have told her all those things. I think one of her biggest hang ups is winter driving and the closest service center for me is Eden Prairie MN. I explained to her about the traction control being remarkable and that there are people in other countries who have crazy winters and only have RWD Tesla vehicles.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a minivan.

I have a LOT of friends that do own one and I can completely understand and appreciate why they usually like them far better than a SUV, especially when their children are younger.
My wife loves her minivan for its utility. Ironically, she didn't get it while the kids were young. It wasn't until we were renting minivans to haul the kids and their belongings to/from college at the beginning/end of each school year that she finally decided to get one of her own.

Prior to our retiring, we both had incomes, so choosing our own cars was never a bone of contention. She paid for hers and I paid for mine. It's not as if we ever brought home a surprise vehicle... we'd talk about what we're planning to get, but we never contested each other's preferences. But, then again, we were never extravagant in our choices. I would not get a Model S or X even if I could pay for it outright (this retiree is not taking on any new debt).