Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to dampen road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't need the Supercharger network, and you're not concerned about maximum performance from your EV crossover commuter, check out the Mach-E. It's is much quieter (at least the two versions I tested, Premium AWD and GT Performance Edition). I think the Model Y is a better car in most aspects, but if an EV for HOV lane commuting is your goal, a Mach-E Premium should work fine.

I measured the dB of my Mach-E on the highway it was mid-60s (around 67 dB) but over rough portions of highways the tire noise was horrible and bumped the loudness by 5-10 dB. The stock Premium tires are noisy IMO.

I never measured the dB level when I owned the Y and it felt no more louder or quieter than the MME. Still that's NOT very scientific... lol.

My new RAV4 Prime feels louder on the highway but when I measured it... that wasn't true. It was low-60s in EV mode (it's low 70s in gas mode). I was hearing higher frequency wind buffeting.

Reactions: preilly44
I measured the dB of my Mach-E on the highway it was mid-60s (around 67 dB) but over rough portions of highways the tire noise was horrible and bumped the loudness by 5-10 dB. The stock Premium tires are noisy IMO.

I never measured the dB level when I owned the Y and it felt no more louder or quieter than the MME. Still that's NOT very scientific... lol.

My new RAV4 Prime feels louder on the highway but when I measured it... that wasn't true. It was low-60s in EV mode (it's low 70s in gas mode). I was hearing higher frequency wind buffeting.
I've seen some reports here from Y owners getting Tesla to replace their windshield/roof for wind noise issues and it actually made a big difference. I'm now suspicious that the 2021 MYLR I tested was poorly built in a way that contributed to the wind noise, and therefore could hopefully be fixed by Tesla service, if you could convince them the problem was real.

Even if that one Y I tested was out of spec I still wouldn't dismiss the issue, it's clear from these forums a lot of Ys have wind noise issues from the factory, probably a decent chance of getting a bad one, and I could imagine it taking a lot effort and stress to get Tesla service to take an issue like that seriously and properly address it. (I'm also pretty certain that no Model Y is super quiet, just some may be better assembled than others.)

I tested the Mach-E Premium AWD on the same day and mostly the same roads as that MYLR. Between the two cars I tested the Mach-E was much much quieter everywhere, at every speed and on every surface I tested. I didn't take measurements but the difference was really obvious especially at highway speeds, I have zero doubt that the Mach-E I drove was truly quieter. It felt like the Mach-E had many times more sound damping. The highway sections I drove them on weren't especially rough, but not perfectly smooth either. They were uneven enough to trigger the Mach-E's floaty rear end, which was pretty annoying. If some Mach-Es are fitted with noisy tires, that part is easy to fix at least! (For the Mach-E's floaty suspension, the best fix is to order the GT PE with Magneride. That one I tested on completely different roads, but for sure it rode and handled way better than the regular Mach-E suspension, it was a huge difference.)

Last edited:
I installed a rear cargo cover when I first got the Y but haven't really used it much at all leaving it uncovered. I covered the cargo area with it today for my drive and noticed it was a bit less boomy, not super significant but definitely noticeable, particularly on an uneven patch on the freeway that always normally rumbles for me.

I just read through all of the comments. I'll say this.. My M3 was noisy.. part of the issue is it's a 2019 and was lacking in sound deadening. I spent 150 dollars and added the Frunk /Trunk noise reduction mats. I added the weather-stripping to the Frunk and to the doors. Not the trunk as it makes the trunk almost impossible to shut with the spring loaded opening struts I have.

Before was 76 db.. afterwards same road, same speed, no radio etc.. 64db. Still noisy compared to my Audi I had before this but significantly better. If the tires were not so damn noisy, it would be pretty sweet. The mats killed the high freq noise like the whine from regen and it has muffled sharp road noises. The various weather-stripping has reduced wind noise a lot. Now I can actually hear the person in the back seat when they talk to me.

Like someone said, it will never be a Lexus ( or Audi) which I consider a fault of Tesla and piss poor design. On the other hand, it's significantly better for a pretty cheap price :) So I call it a win. We are now shopping for a Y and I bet I will be doing the same thing for the Y since it will be a used and older version vs the new21/22 with the improvements. But the truth of the matter is we consider both of these Teslas to be bridge cars.. I expect in 2-3 years to get something new and much more refined.

Having extensive efforts and experience in sound deadening this car (2021 LR), putting double layers of butyl, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl with cloth insulation along the head liner, replacing the suspension, there is nothing that can be done. The quality of the car is just crap. The noise mainly comes from the trunk lid which echo's along with wind noise from the stupid one piece design roof. If you notice other cars with wide pano sun roof, they still have metal on all sides which absorbs some of the noise.

As someone said earlier, once Lexus comes out with their electric suv this year I'm gone. Apple carplay, 360 camera, quietness and build quality.

Having extensive efforts and experience in sound deadening this car (2021 LR), putting double layers of butyl, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl with cloth insulation along the head liner, replacing the suspension, there is nothing that can be done. The quality of the car is just crap. The noise mainly comes from the trunk lid which echo's along with wind noise from the stupid one piece design roof. If you notice other cars with wide pano sun roof, they still have metal on all sides which absorbs some of the noise.

As someone said earlier, once Lexus comes out with their electric suv this year I'm gone. Apple carplay, 360 camera, quietness and build quality.
the S and X are much better build quality
it can be done for sure, then again production cost play major affect

I've done much of the same with my M3.. but, people need to remember that the M3 was never marketed as a "luxury" car.. it was always a cheaper Tesla for early adopters while Tesla learned how to design and build EVs at a true production scale. I miss the quiet cockpit of my Audi or even my Forerunner truck. What I dont miss is the gas. So when it's time to move on from my M3 will I get a another? Maybe.. maybe not. My M3 ( 2019 ) build quality really isn't too bad all things considered. No rattles.. no faded plastics or seats.. really nothing falling apart which is more than I can say for some of my past cars after couple of years. Wind noise? yeah. Some.. Road noise..oh yeah.. but I'm hoping some of the new gen EV tires may mitigate some of that.

Respect all that you've done. In my opinion, "...quality..." isn't crap, but possible some built-in engineering flaws with regard to NVH. In my opinion, not "crap," from a still very young car company. FYI, I started with the buffeting in my car, tightened up the hatch pads, added seals to the doors/frunk/trunk. No longer have any issue, other than that the basic geometry/wheelbase/track/suspension don't seem to be dialed in. If Tesla would spend a few million$$$ on building a testing track, they'd benefit, for sure. Ditto for serious cold environment testing.

Lexus might be the way to go, but it won't be cheap, and they'll have their own start-up issues, for sure. We like our 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, which is extremely well balanced in every way. The fussiness of all the useless info in both screens continues to annoy me, as I prefer the spartan, plain MY design. Once I figured out how to access whatever I need, the MY set-up is no more un-ergonomic as any car. They ALL require relearning.

Lexus took an efficient RAV4 Prime and made it less efficient all around (20" wheels, more weight etc) then added $20K to the price. Folks with deeper pockets will enjoy the upgraded infotainment and premium standard features.

I'm probably getting a Solterra/bz4x to see what the fuss is about but I don't expect these EVs to be anything more than "city commuters" with poor range and lack of access to the Tesla charging network.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Respect all that you've done. In my opinion, "...quality..." isn't crap, but possible some built-in engineering flaws with regard to NVH. In my opinion, not "crap," from a still very young car company. FYI, I started with the buffeting in my car, tightened up the hatch pads, added seals to the doors/frunk/trunk. No longer have any issue, other than that the basic geometry/wheelbase/track/suspension don't seem to be dialed in. If Tesla would spend a few million$$$ on building a testing track, they'd benefit, for sure. Ditto for serious cold environment testing.

Lexus might be the way to go, but it won't be cheap, and they'll have their own start-up issues, for sure. We like our 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, which is extremely well balanced in every way. The fussiness of all the useless info in both screens continues to annoy me, as I prefer the spartan, plain MY design. Once I figured out how to access whatever I need, the MY set-up is no more un-ergonomic as any car. They ALL require relearning.

It is crap. I remember someone said they work for a body shop and said Tesla is poorly built and put together. The metal is thin hence people had issues closing the hood and denting it. The carpet is just felt and plastic whereas other cars is mass loaded vinyl with fabric. Interior pillar panels have been warped in my car and there is a loud clunk when turning in the cold, warped battery from what I’ve read. As for Lexus having first year issues, all cars will but the key thing with Lexus IS they will actually address it, have works better service and loaner cars. Lexus has a good reputation for a reason.

I added all the bs door seals, windshield seal and 3D printed hatch stopper, nothing can completely stop the pressure and definitely nothing can stop the road/wind noise because of the glass.

Lexus took an efficient RAV4 Prime and made it less efficient all around (20" wheels, more weight etc) then added $20K to the price. Folks with deeper pockets will enjoy the upgraded infotainment and premium standard features.

I'm probably getting a Solterra/bz4x to see what the fuss is about but I don't expect these EVs to be anything more than "city commuters" with poor range and lack of access to the Tesla charging network.
You sure buy a lot of cars. Is this a business expense for you?

we own 2021 both Y and 3
the Y wind noise is much quieter
3s wind noise sounds like coming from top / front windshield and roof
@jacksterCali When was each car built? Year + month is enough (from the door sticker if you don't remember offhand).

Go test drive brand new 3 and Y if you have time and post your impressions! I can only guess that either your Y is newer than your 3 (even if both are 2021 model year), OR something is really wrong with how your 3 was assembled.

I've driven three different October 2021 Fremont built Model 3's - two demo cars (M3LR, M3P), plus my own that I bought (M3P). All three had the same wind noise levels to my ears (consistency - good). Wind noise is there, it's not the quietest car out there by any means, but it's truly nothing objectionable. I think it's the least wind noise of any car I've ever owned. Less wind noise than my 2013 Model S, and much less wind noise than the very loud 2021 MYLR I tested. That MYLR was a 2021-Q3 car, I didn't check its exact build month.

@jacksterCali When was each car built? Year + month is enough (from the door sticker if you don't remember offhand).

Go test drive brand new 3 and Y if you have time and post your impressions! I can only guess that either your Y is newer than your 3 (even if both are 2021 model year), OR something is really wrong with how your 3 was assembled.

I've driven three different October 2021 Fremont built Model 3's - two demo cars (M3LR, M3P), plus my own that I bought (M3P). All three had the same wind noise levels to my ears (consistency - good). Wind noise is there, it's not the quietest car out there by any means, but it's truly nothing objectionable. I think it's the least wind noise of any car I've ever owned. Less wind noise than my 2013 Model S, and much less wind noise than the very loud 2021 MYLR I tested. That MYLR was a 2021-Q3 car, I didn't check its exact build month.
2/21 Y
9/21 3

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
also saw this posted, decide to test out this method
Solved: wind noise

IMG_8646.JPG

It seem to damp the wind noise a bit.
let me know what your thought.

My 2021 LR Y is quieter than my 2014 S. Not completely happy with the road noise but added together, these mods were noticeable: Sunroof shade, weather stripping kit, carpeted mats with noise deadening material under. Mats for the trunk and frunk with sound deadening under. Rear cargo cover.
19" foam lined stock tires are probably quieter than some wheel/tire set ups. So much demands on the road surface of course. May line the wheel wells, probably won't bother with door panels. Pretty happy, in general. Would consider active noise cancellation system, but too $$$.

My 2021 LR Y is quieter than my 2014 S. Not completely happy with the road noise but added together, these mods were noticeable: Sunroof shade, weather stripping kit, carpeted mats with noise deadening material under. Mats for the trunk and frunk with sound deadening under. Rear cargo cover.
19" foam lined stock tires are probably quieter than some wheel/tire set ups. So much demands on the road surface of course. May line the wheel wells, probably won't bother with door panels. Pretty happy, in general. Would consider active noise cancellation system, but too $$$.

I have a luxury vehicle with active noise cancellation (ANC) and it is noticeable. However it is simple, it's a constant hissing noise if you will, it's like it cancels out the windnoise. I tried it with the Tesla, there was a website with ANC white noise and I streamed it from my phone, no noticeable difference that way.