Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to dampen road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we own 2021 both Y and 3
the Y wind noise is much quieter
3s wind noise sounds like coming from top / front windshield and roof
@jacksterCali Re-reading this description...that sounds like the same location as the very loud wind noise on the 2021 MYLR I tested.

Maybe both the Y and 3 are subject to the same poor assembly issue...just some cars of each, not all of them. None of the 3x 2021 Model 3 I've driven had the issue, but it sounds like (pun intended) some do!

That is super frustrating that Tesla won't take this seriously. There was no such issue with the Model 3s I test drove. If the Model 3 they sold me then had wind noise like that Model Y, I'd be pushing really, really hard that they either fix it or buy the car back. I outright rejected buying any Model Y due to the really poor NVH of the MYLR I drove.

Reactions: jacksterCali
If I had known that they wouldn't have fixed my window noise I would have rejected the car for sure.... took it in twice...they did the recalibrate thing...no help...went for a ride with the lead tech the 2nd time he acknowledged the noise ...said it was quite loud...pointed to the area where he heard it...and said "it s a Tesla its loud" My brother has a 2022 performance Y with the 21 in wheels (i have 18) we drove over the same area on the same day together in both cars...mine is substantially louder

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
If I had known that they wouldn't have fixed my window noise I would have rejected the car for sure.... took it in twice...they did the recalibrate thing...no help...went for a ride with the lead tech the 2nd time he acknowledged the noise ...said it was quite loud...pointed to the area where he heard it...and said "it s a Tesla its loud" My brother has a 2022 performance Y with the 21 in wheels (i have 18) we drove over the same area on the same day together in both cars...mine is substantially louder
@cfbackrow Did the delivery center even let you drive your car before accepting it? Assuming not, I don't see how you could've even known to reject it. That definitely puts you (or any Tesla buyer) in a disadvantaged place in regard to this issue, if Tesla service won't or can't reliably fix it.

If your M3SR is as loud as that MYLR I tested I would seriously push hard to get it fixed, and look into lemon laws or other means of legal recourse in your state if they repeatedly fail or refuse to fix it. That MYLR I tested was just unacceptably bad.

Really sucks that Tesla is trying to weasel out of this issue based on their older cars being consistently louder.

Having wind buffeting noise issue with my 2022 MY as well. I agree with the above. If I had an opportunity to test drive this car I would've never purchased it. It's way louder than my 2021. It sounds like driving through gusty conditions whenever I get above 70mph. The service center says it's normal. They replaced the driver door seal after doing the ultrasonic test and that helped with the road noise but the gusty sound is still there. I'm waiting for delivery of a wind noise reduction kit. If that doesn't solve it I'll waste a couple more hours with another service center visit.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and bluetrep1
Having wind buffeting noise issue with my 2022 MY as well. I agree with the above. If I had an opportunity to test drive this car I would've never purchased it. It's way louder than my 2021. It sounds like driving through gusty conditions whenever I get above 70mph. The service center says it's normal. They replaced the driver door seal after doing the ultrasonic test and that helped with the road noise but the gusty sound is still there. I'm waiting for delivery of a wind noise reduction kit. If that doesn't solve it I'll waste a couple more hours with another service center visit.
please keep us posted after you install the noise reduction kit or SC visit.

They have some expensive device in the service center that puts out ultrasonic sound waves and uses the reflections to detect cabin seal leaks
Interesting, in my 2018 M3 they always did a ride-along, confirmed they thought they heard it too, said it was fixed in my invoice, and never actually improved anything. After 5+ visits, I gave up and now I own a 22' MY that has no wind noise at all which is such a relief.

Interesting, in my 2018 M3 they always did a ride-along, confirmed they thought they heard it too, said it was fixed in my invoice, and never actually improved anything. After 5+ visits, I gave up and now I own a 22' MY that has no wind noise at all which is such a relief.
buying a model Y3 is like playing blackjack
poor QC
i wonder if model S would be much better QC? i’d be pissed if i pay 100k still get that wind buffeting noise

ok I used the painters tape and by process of elimination found that 50-60 % of my wind noise is coming from the sides of the windshield where it meets the A pillars....I have a deep gap all the way up/down this area , looks deep enough for a gasket or rubber seal. I already had a Ranger coming this friday for other issues and I added this.. I'll report back if they offer a solution.... if not I'll either go to a glass/windshield company or try the frostking weather strip

ok I used the painters tape and by process of elimination found that 50-60 % of my wind noise is coming from the sides of the windshield where it meets the A pillars....I have a deep gap all the way up/down this area , looks deep enough for a gasket or rubber seal. I already had a Ranger coming this friday for other issues and I added this.. I'll report back if they offer a solution.... if not I'll either go to a glass/windshield company or try the frostking weather strip

So where the top of the fender and the window pillar meet is a gap, people have stuffed that with foam, which I did as well. I don't know if it made a difference. What you can do is use the roof rubber wind noise kit for like $15 on amazon, people say it doesn't work but worth a try.