Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to deal with a service nightmare?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just retired, bought a new model Y which arrived July 29th and am planning to take a 4,000 mile road trip (my first in 25 years) in a few weeks. My problem is that my Tesla arrived with what looked like a small paint blemish in the charge port area. A few days later I texted the Santa Monica Service center for an appointment. My problem is that the service center has had me either waiting for service, in service (for three and half weeks, completion extended 8 times), and when I finally received it back, I saw that the airbag warning light remained on, and now have to wait for service for another 4 weeks (until September 30th, extended 3 times so far). My month-long road trip is booked (with accommodation paid) starts October 17th. I am VERY concerned that my Tesla won’t be fixed by then, not to mention that I am driving around without airbags. The service advisors have been nice and sympathetic, but don’t explain anything, and won’t give me the managers name to discuss this with. My excitement of a new Model Y has now turned into a stressful nightmare. My retirement dream is being ruined. Is this normal Tesla service quality, and do you have any suggestions for any actions I could take to expedite this?

Our 2021 model Y, came with a blemish that looked like a matt finish about a 2 inch circle. I took it back to the delivery center. Turns out it was a spot where the clear coat just needed to be buffed out. took them all of 5 minutes, Take lots of pictures. you should be able to get the blemish buffed out after your trip if they can't do it now.

Upvote 0
I expected that they would do that. My flaw was only about a quarter inch around (with a narrow trail of paint going down from it for about an inch). After three and a half weeks at the paint shop, where they removed the charge port (and triangular window), they repainted the entire panel and it looks fine. It seemed like huge overkill to me, but they did a good job of painting it. The problem I noticed several hours after delivery was the airbags light being on, and the and the enormous length of time it takes to get around to service it, is what now concerns me, especially since they are vague about whether they will even have the part.

Upvote 0

tjphelan,​

I had a similar delivery issue in Mount Kisko NY. I bought a 2022 MYP in Black. My passenger front door was chipped down to the bare metal in two spots. I tried to bring up the issue at delivery but it seemed the staff was so busy prepping new cars this Sunday, and I was expected to just drive away with whatever I was delivered. After much deliberation with a supervisor I was instructed to make a Service Ticket. This produced an appointment in 2 weeks. All this occurred in and around August 2022.

Initially after an hour into the service appointment they tried to give me my car back with black touch up paint. Unacceptable. I refused this and forced them to send the vehicle to a body shop. They gave me a loner car for a week and I got the car back and it looked great.

After feeling that I had to get down right heavily assertive to get my BRAND NEW CAR fixed, its an understatement to say I was extremely disappointed. First of all The car was delivered dirty with heavy pollen. Futhermore the staff all deferred my delivery protests to the manager, all the while they acted disinterested and all interacted with their phones in my face. Totally unaffected by my concerns with my $80,000 car delivery. UNACCEPTABLE.

In conclusion, the problem got resolved and I thoroughly love the product. However I got off to a terrible start with a brand which I had initially dreamed for years of purchasing. Big changes need to be made in terms of customer care. Its deplorable they wont refer you to the manager. What worked for me was an email to [email protected]. I made it very detailed and illustrated my dissatisfaction with the situation. I would like to think It got them to handle my situation (which isn’t too much different than yours) with much more urgency.

I just retired, bought a new model Y which arrived July 29th and am planning to take a 4,000 mile road trip (my first in 25 years) in a few weeks. My problem is that my Tesla arrived with what looked like a small paint blemish in the charge port area. A few days later I texted the Santa Monica Service center for an appointment. My problem is that the service center has had me either waiting for service, in service (for three and half weeks, completion extended 8 times), and when I finally received it back, I saw that the airbag warning light remained on, and now have to wait for service for another 4 weeks (until September 30th, extended 3 times so far). My month-long road trip is booked (with accommodation paid) starts October 17th. I am VERY concerned that my Tesla won’t be fixed by then, not to mention that I am driving around without airbags. The service advisors have been nice and sympathetic, but don’t explain anything, and won’t give me the managers name to discuss this with. My excitement of a new Model Y has now turned into a stressful nightmare. My retirement dream is being ruined. Is this normal Tesla service quality, and do you have any suggestions for any actions I could take to expedite this?

Reactions: EasyPal
Upvote 0
Just dealt with service again for the first time in a while, and the first time on a non-warranty issue. The interaction sucked. Several pieces of incorrect information conveyed by the service center, long delays, insufficient steps taken to address the issue. Based on articles online and comments in these forums that's apparently par for the course with Tesla and has somewhat soured me to the brand. Before I did not see any other electric cars as being attractive, but now I will be looking seriously at the competitors, especially since the Mustang has been tested with at least similar range, and the Lucid having 500 mile range. As far as how to apply pressure to Tesla you've got me there. Earlier this year they reportedly dissolved their public relations department so I guess that kind of tells you how much of a crap corporate Tesla gives.

Upvote 0
I found a 3-inch diameter brushing patch on the right quarter panel. The car is brand new. Service center does not know what to do. Should I insist them to send to 3rd party paint shop to fix?

Attachments

• Quater Panel paint brushes.JPG
    Quater Panel paint brushes.JPG
    934.8 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
I have the car for 5 weeks. Half of the time, the car is in service (3 times as I found more than a dozen issues). Multiple locations of paint imperfection is counted as 1 issue. To name a few, headlight misalignment, improper installation under glove box, windshield weather stripping, trunk lid misalignment with air buffeting, one bad coat hook, AC/vent clicking noise, blinking passenger airbag indicator, backseat power folding malfunction and right rear rattling. Fremont Service Center sent the car to a 3rd party paint shop to rectify driver door paint. The shop fixed one issue but caused more paint chips around the door handle area.

It's truly a nightmare. Service Center keeps saying "this is the best we can do to address your concerns". But apparently what they can do is not meeting the basic industry standard. I tried the 1-888 number but could find a way to talk to a real person.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

tjphelan,​

I had a similar delivery issue in Mount Kisko NY. I bought a 2022 MYP in Black. My passenger front door was chipped down to the bare metal in two spots. I tried to bring up the issue at delivery but it seemed the staff was so busy prepping new cars this Sunday, and I was expected to just drive away with whatever I was delivered. After much deliberation with a supervisor I was instructed to make a Service Ticket. This produced an appointment in 2 weeks. All this occurred in and around August 2022.

Initially after an hour into the service appointment they tried to give me my car back with black touch up paint. Unacceptable. I refused this and forced them to send the vehicle to a body shop. They gave me a loner car for a week and I got the car back and it looked great.

After feeling that I had to get down right heavily assertive to get my BRAND NEW CAR fixed, its an understatement to say I was extremely disappointed. First of all The car was delivered dirty with heavy pollen. Futhermore the staff all deferred my delivery protests to the manager, all the while they acted disinterested and all interacted with their phones in my face. Totally unaffected by my concerns with my $80,000 car delivery. UNACCEPTABLE.

In conclusion, the problem got resolved and I thoroughly love the product. However I got off to a terrible start with a brand which I had initially dreamed for years of purchasing. Big changes need to be made in terms of customer care. Its deplorable they wont refer you to the manager. What worked for me was an email to [email protected]. I made it very detailed and illustrated my dissatisfaction with the situation. I would like to think It got them to handle my situation (which isn’t too much different than yours) with much more urgency.

Thanks for sharing your experience and information. I will try to email [email protected].

Upvote 0
Unfortunately Tesla service is seemingly an absolute nightmare most of the time.
I got my M3LR in February (UK). And it's been in for service NINE times so far, each time with issues remaining unfixed, and almost every time it's gone in, a new issue has also been created.
Just picked up my car today and seemingly they decided for some reason to adjust the driver side window and it now has a loud hissing whenever driving above 30mph or so. They also didn't actually fix half the issues it went in for.

Guess I'm going in for my 10th service!
I've had a complaint in with Tesla since the 5th service, but all they do is just schedule new service appointments, not offer any actual resolution.
I'm going to have to go to the financial ombudsman as a result soon. It's absurd

Upvote 0
I was cleaning the car and found the same scratches, like someone touched it up (sloppy). Dark grey MY
After several rounds of text messaging exchanges, Tesla Service Center agrees to send the car to a local body shop to repair the paint.

Though there are some remaining issues that Tesla thinks there are "normal", including one side of the rear seat only folds half way with power button.

Upvote 0
I have the car for 5 weeks. Half of the time, the car is in service (3 times as I found more than a dozen issues). Multiple locations of paint imperfection is counted as 1 issue. To name a few, headlight misalignment, improper installation under glove box, windshield weather stripping, trunk lid misalignment with air buffeting, one bad coat hook, AC/vent clicking noise, blinking passenger airbag indicator, backseat power folding malfunction and right rear rattling. Fremont Service Center sent the car to a 3rd party paint shop to rectify driver door paint. The shop fixed one issue but caused more paint chips around the door handle area.

It's truly a nightmare. Service Center keeps saying "this is the best we can do to address your concerns". But apparently what they can do is not meeting the basic industry standard. I tried the 1-888 number but could find a way to talk to a real person.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Try [email protected]. Included images and attachments and timestamps and as much detail as possible. Including the dealership you bought from and the individuals at the dealership that you were working with. That helped me.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Upvote 0
So sorry - I really am. I am going through something similar but not nearly as bad as you. Trade it in or sell it if you don't have the patience as this is a life of car long commitment to deal with Tesla's "we are better than you the consumer" mentality. I feel like when you walk in to a 2-3+ star Michelin restaurant looking like a beach bum when I do anything with Tesla service or sales - that I am "asking for their permission to buy or begging to get service"

It's bad - worst customer experience I have ever had with any manufacturer. At least when you deal with most OEMs you can escalate - threaten legal action, etc. Tesla has the world fooled in to believing they are a good company - and they are for engineering - and that spills in to reputation masks the underlying horrors of customer satisfaction and service.

Reactions: EasyPal
Upvote 0