Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to deal with anti-EV biased friends and their propaganda?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but how can you possibly get to 350 ppm?

[…]

On the other hand, we have plenty of inexpensive ways to reduce the rate at which we're pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.
All it would take is an act of Congress to make a difference (e.g., carbon tax). Sadly, there's no realistic way to even do that. :-(

I’m sure some smart people have thought about what needs to be done, and that this info is available somewhere.

But yes, it seems there needs to be a price on Green House Gases. As soon as we have this price, we can then set it accordingly, so that we can at least stabilize the CO2-level.

So in the US that means getting people to understand that the USA are going to need a carbon tax (so there can be not only a President, but also a congress that understands).

And we might need some economic incentive to see to it that we get all the natural ecosystem CO2-sinks we can find, because we have really been needing them for quite some time. This for example seems to mean reduced deforestation and improved soil conservation.

The most basic place to start? According to this, getting off coal and improving land use seems to be able to get us a long way:

http://www.350.org/sites/all/files/solutions-factsheet.pdf

Also: One historical event that might be useful when beginning to wrap ones head around what a serious effort to engage global warming could mean, may be that the US ceased all domestic passenger automobile production in February 1942.

And retooling to build cars again didn’t start until three years and seven months later when WWII had ended.

Last edited:
I like this:

@derekt75

I don't know exactly how to do to get 350 ppm of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere, but I think that it's a goal that can be achieved. Many times in my life I started difficult things that I thought at the beginning were very difficult to achieve. Then I saw that, by making many efforts, I could manage to get these goals.
I think that the same principle can be applied to the target of 350 ppm.

I like this:

@derekt75

I don't know exactly how to do to get 350 ppm of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere, but I think that it's a goal that can be achieved. Many times in my life I started difficult things that I thought at the beginning were very difficult to achieve. Then I saw that, by making many efforts, I could manage to get these goals.
I think that the same principle can be applied to the target of 350 ppm.

If you want to get down to 350 ppm in the year 2150, that's at least possible. If we stop adding CO2 to the atmosphere, the oceans could absorb a lot of what we emitted in the 20th century, and we might not even need to actively remove it.

but you originally said 350 ppm in 15 years, or a bit more than -3 ppm per year. That means that we'd need to remove CO2 from the air at a greater rate than we've been adding it for the last few decades.

I've got no problem with stretch goals. or as a different Italian said several hundred years ago:
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

but I think some realism is useful.
I hate the cliche of "You can do anything if you set your mind to it," since I think it's demonstrably false.