Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to deal with Model X width?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve owned multiple large vehicles including a Hummer H3 and a 38’ Motorhome. (Really big and wide!) Take care of your driver’s side clearance and the opposite side will usually take care of itself, such as in your narrow bridge example.

I have driven the X and it feels like a large minivan to me. It is certainly manageable. The only size-related reason for not getting the X is if you just feel it is not going to be an enjoyable size for you personally. You do get used to it, but everyone has their personal comfort zones.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: FatherTo1
I went from a Porsche 911 (and my wife's Mini Cooper S) to the Model X. I didn't have a problem driving it, but parking is still a problem. I usually like two empty parking spaces together when perpendicular parking so I can turn through one of them. I'm fine with a single space if no one is encroaching on the space and I have enough space to come at it close to head on. I've learned to pull into "tight" garages with just a couple inches of clearance on either side with the mirrors folded.

Nonetheless, after driving the Model 3 for a while the Model X seems like a bus. The 3 is actually a fairly big car for us, bigger than we would have preferred, but for me it feels much smaller when driving. The X feels big to me, but is still a pleasure to drive in its own way. We use it mainly for long trips and as a second option locally.

The car is wide and that’s a fact. When you tried to park in a smallest space and noticed both sides of the tires hit the parking space markings, you know it’s wide. You can’t overcome physics, unfortunately.

And that never happens in NewEngland anyway. Maybe if you parked in a compact spot. Which of course you should do with an X. Parking spaces are generally large enough for suburbans and full size pickups. Which also won’t have tires hitting space markings. And the X is not as big as either of those. Now maybe if you lived in the UK or something. Maybe some parts of US or in the city (which I rarely visit).

I went from a Porsche 911 (and my wife's Mini Cooper S) to the Model X. I didn't have a problem driving it, but parking is still a problem. I usually like two empty parking spaces together when perpendicular parking so I can turn through one of them. I'm fine with a single space if no one is encroaching on the space and I have enough space to come at it close to head on. I've learned to pull into "tight" garages with just a couple inches of clearance on either side with the mirrors folded.

Nonetheless, after driving the Model 3 for a while the Model X seems like a bus. The 3 is actually a fairly big car for us, bigger than we would have preferred, but for me it feels much smaller when driving. The X feels big to me, but is still a pleasure to drive in its own way. We use it mainly for long trips and as a second option locally.

I almost never park between two occupied spaces. Not because of size but because of sloppy people and door dings. Sometimes of course you have to and I have no issue swinging in, as rusty as I am at that ;)

It just becomes an extension of you over time with any car.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Took me some getting used to for sure. I turned in my 2016 BMW 750Li to step into my current Model X and the width is something I felt immediately. The 7-Series (long wheelbase) is a HUGE car. I thought it was wide, but the Model X bests it in width by nearly five inches. Super noticeable for the first month or so, but I did quickly get used to it, and now there's no going back haha! Love my X. The BMW "felt" smaller than it was due to some of the tech they packed into the thing (four-wheel steering to tighten the turning radius, plus HD top-down surround view camera system for ease when parking).

Years ago, I was a volunteer firefighter, and took my ex-girlfriend and her nephew down to the station so he could squirt some water, climb the ladder, etc. Had to drive the truck a mile down the street to a hydrant since I'd taken water out of the tank. Backed it into the station, and climbed into my Ford Excursion, and she realized how an Excursion can actually feel small. I still have that Excursion, plus a VW Jetta. Totaled my wife's Mercedes GLE in December, and we're really looking forward to our new MX...it's all a matter of perspective.

Reactions: dmurphy