Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When driving along the motorway, I get a few phantom braking incidents for each hour of driving (roughly and on average). I totally understand this happens to everyone so I'm not alone but a few questions.

What's the best way to deal with this in terms of reporting? I sometimes disengage AP even though I don't need to. My thinking is that the disengagement will at least provide a point of interest in the data as to something has happened. I could report the event but I haven't done this so far.

What's the best way to deal with this in terms of driving? When the braking occurs, it almost feels like something is grinding but I guess this is just the system of how it is applying the brakes. Assuming I can catch it early, should I press the accelerator to override the braking? Or should I disable AP?

Overall, it's very worrying and I get quite nervous as there are far too many people in the UK who drive far to close behind me . I don't want to get rear ended due to phantom braking so I often disable AP but this is very annoying. Do others get worried about getting rear ended due to phantom braking to the point where they drive the car manually to avoid this situation?

When driving along the motorway, I get a few phantom braking incidents for each hour of driving (roughly and on average). I totally understand this happens to everyone so I'm not alone but a few questions.

What's the best way to deal with this in terms of reporting?
None really. At one time we thought pressing the steering wheel button and making a bug report actually went to Tesla, but later learned that’s not the case. The report just makes a log entry in the car’s memory that can be accessed by the service folks. After hundreds of bug reports, I don’t bother anymore. There is no direct line to Tesla other than trying to schedule a service appointment for the problem. I’ve done that twice and the car has been deemed working normally in both cases, so no real help there.
What's the best way to deal with this in terms of driving?
Not too many options here and you’ve identified them. Which you use depends a bit upon where you are and how likely you perceive phantom braking to occur. By that I mean if you’re in heavy traffic with tailgaters, you might want to keep your right foot hovering over the accelerator in areas where PB has occurred for you. Without the traffic you can be a bit more relaxed.
Overall, it's very worrying and I get quite nervous as there are far too many people in the UK who drive far to close behind me . I don't want to get rear ended due to phantom braking so I often disable AP but this is very annoying. Do others get worried about getting rear ended due to phantom braking to the point where they drive the car manually to avoid this situation?
I’ve had phantom braking for all of the almost four years I’ve owned my Model 3, and now 100 firmware updates. It gets better, gets worse, gets better and so on. Today, it’s far better than it used to be but still there. As to your last question worrying about being rear-ended, most of us with PB feel that way. To date though, I can’t recall this happening even once. With the loud media just looking for any negatives about Tesla, I feel sure such an event would be very widely reported, and in the fora as well. Perhaps its the rule-of-thumb that a rear-ended collision is almost always considered by law enforcement and insurance companies to be the fault of the person following for doing so too closely.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I keep my foot near the accelerator when on AP. I never disengage it for a PB event and just press the accelerator to keep it moving along.

That being said, I haven't had a lot of issues with it lately, maybe 2 in the last 14 days.

As far as tailgaters, I let them pass. I'd rather have the AP running as often as possible, quirks and all, so if people are tailgating, I get rid of them. That could mean moving over, or barring that speeding up to find an open spot to get rid of them. My car can accelerate faster than just about anyone else out there, so I use that to my advantage to choose gaps. I'm sure some of them wonder why I'm willing to go much higher than the posted speed just to get rid of them.

Reactions: clydeiii
Perhaps its the rule-of-thumb that a rear-ended collision is almost always considered by law enforcement and insurance companies to be the fault of the person following for doing so too closely.
Here in the UK, it is indeed the person at the back's fault. However, the innocent person at the front still has to incur the huge amount of hassle associated with the paperwork and phone calls etc even if it's going through the insurance companies. Not to mention that even a really good repair probably won't put things back to exactly the way things were pre-accident.

Reactions: SalisburySam

What's the best way to deal with this in terms of reporting? I sometimes disengage AP even though I don't need to. My thinking is that the disengagement will at least provide a point of interest in the data as to something has happened. I could report the event but I haven't done this so far.

What's the best way to deal with this in terms of driving? When the braking occurs, it almost feels like something is grinding but I guess this is just the system of how it is applying the brakes. Assuming I can catch it early, should I press the accelerator to override the braking? Or should I disable AP?

Keep your foot on the accelerator. When it brakes, and you press the accelerator, it stops braking.

reporting braking does nothing. Reports are held locally in your car for service techs to view when you physically take your car in. Nothing leaves your car unless you’re part of the beta.

Also, no. I don’t worry about phantom braking getting me rear ended. I use AP 250-550 km a day without worrying. Just be aware.

Reactions: Yelobird
None really. At one time we thought pressing the steering wheel button and making a bug report actually went to Tesla, but later learned that’s not the case. The report just makes a log entry in the car’s memory that can be accessed by the service folks. After hundreds of bug reports, I don’t bother anymore. There is no direct line to Tesla other than trying to schedule a service appointment for the problem. I’ve done that twice and the car has been deemed working normally in both cases, so no real help there.

Not too many options here and you’ve identified them. Which you use depends a bit upon where you are and how likely you perceive phantom braking to occur. By that I mean if you’re in heavy traffic with tailgaters, you might want to keep your right foot hovering over the accelerator in areas where PB has occurred for you. Without the traffic you can be a bit more relaxed.

I’ve had phantom braking for all of the almost four years I’ve owned my Model 3, and now 100 firmware updates. It gets better, gets worse, gets better and so on. Today, it’s far better than it used to be but still there. As to your last question worrying about being rear-ended, most of us with PB feel that way. To date though, I can’t recall this happening even once. With the loud media just looking for any negatives about Tesla, I feel sure such an event would be very widely reported, and in the fora as well. Perhaps its the rule-of-thumb that a rear-ended collision is almost always considered by law enforcement and insurance companies to be the fault of the person following for doing so too closely.
@SalisburySam, I was with you on the bug report. I had done HUNDREDS, only to learn the other day that they are essentially bullshit and the service folks would rather have a documented date/time to reference problems. However, the other thing I did learn the other day after bitching "up-the-chain" about several issues i'm having with a 10-month old Model S and a 2-week old Model 3, is that there actually IS A PHONE NUMBER to speak to a human. However, they damn sure don't make it well known. But if you call the Tesla Vehicle Support Line (877-798-3752) which is used for "emergency roadside assistance" when you select Option 1, there are also Options 2 and Options 3 which get a real, live human being to talk to about car issues. And honestly, I am PISSED that I just discovered this after owning a car for almost a year. Even the very kind woman I spoke with on the phone the other day admitted that Tesla does not do a good job of communicating to owners the availability of assistance that they offer.

I just filed an NHTSA Complaint about the phantom braking because I've now had both my Model S and brand new Model 3 brake on high-speed interstates here in Texas and one of those events almost caused an accident.

reporting braking does nothing. Reports are held locally in your car for service techs to view when you physically take your car in. Nothing leaves your car unless you’re part of the beta.

Also, no. I don’t worry about phantom braking getting me rear ended. I use AP 250-550 km a day without worrying. Just be aware.
I wasn't worried about it much until it happened in both our Model S (10-months old) and Model 3 (2-weeks old) recently and it was so unexpected and one event almost caused an accident. The Model S braked so hard that we were shocked at what was going on. We had FSD speed set at 80mph (75mph speed limit and a 1mph known speedometer error) when the car essentially slammed on the brakes, slowing almost 30mph in no time. It was a half-second before I could get onto the accelerator and push it to the floor before the traffic behind me would've been into my bumper. This was on a local, high-speed toll-road that in this area is 1-lane on each side and there was no escaping if I hadn't got the car sped back up fast enough. Then, yesterday, our Model 3 did the same thing on an open highway going into Dallas with nothing around us. I finally had enough and I've filed an NHTSA complaint.

I did not get my delivery yet and already worried - with these challenges - and others in Tesla almost thought of “pulling the plug on my order - but nothing else as nice for 50k in EV

Just got home from a road trip to Kentucky from Ohio in a 2022 Model Y with less than 3k miles. Had phantom braking quite a few times for no apparent reason. I was able to get through it without incident but my wife refuses to use autopilot for this reason. Expect it to happen and be prepared to get to the throttle quickly.

Reactions: 2101Guy
It's not a guaranteed fix, but others here have said it improved after a camera recalibration. It cannot hurt to try. Here is my regimen:

1) I wash the car and make sure the cameras are clean and dry.
2) I drive to a nearby freeway during the day (or multi lane highway) that has well painted lines.
3) Just before getting on the freeway, put the car in park and go to settings, services, and camera calibration. Reset the calibration.
4) Put the car back into Drive and drive on the freeway/highway in the middle lane (if possible) until the system shows it's calibrated. It should only take 5 miles or so on HW3. May take longer on other hardware levels.
5) Pull off the freeway and check your Autopilot, Navigate on Autopilot, and FSD settings.

It's not a guaranteed fix, but others here have said it improved after a camera recalibration. It cannot hurt to try. Here is my regimen:

1) I wash the car and make sure the cameras are clean and dry.
2) I drive to a nearby freeway during the day (or multi lane highway) that has well painted lines.
3) Just before getting on the freeway, put the car in park and go to settings, services, and camera calibration. Reset the calibration.
4) Put the car back into Drive and drive on the freeway/highway in the middle lane (if possible) until the system shows it's calibrated. It should only take 5 miles or so on HW3. May take longer on other hardware levels.
5) Pull off the freeway and check your Autopilot, Navigate on Autopilot, and FSD settings.
I'll have to try this. My new M3P phantom braked us 3 time within the first 100 miles of our road trip. I was afraid to use it the rest of the trip!

Reactions: Dewg
I'll have to try this. My new M3P phantom braked us 3 time within the first 100 miles of our road trip. I was afraid to use it the rest of the trip!
Depending on how new your car is, you might be running an older firmware. Many people have commented that they didn't get a new firmware update for several weeks after they picked up their new Tesla. I would make sure you're up to date on firmware before running the calibration.

Reactions: alangold