Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to defog inside of windshield fastest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
It was Sunny and not to cold today (45F ish). Dropped to 32F by the time I left work.

Windshield was super fogged up on the inside.

I figured I’d use the double tap (red) windshield. Took forever to clear. Forever being 5 minutes.

Please, I don’t want to hear about preconditioning. I leave a different time everyday and I’m focused on work, not the car while at work.

My ICE cars wouldn’t even take this long. I don’t recall the Model 3 taking this long. I do notice that the Model 3 heater was much quicker than Model X in general.

I know Tesla’s (maybe all EV’s) tend to fog up easier and more often than ICE. I’m ok with that. But why does it take so long to clear. Especially where it doesn’t have to wait for heat from ICE.

So what is the fastest way to clear it?

Should I have?

done single tap (blue) on windshield defroster
done double tap (red) on windshield defroster
manually set max fan, windshield only, A/C, fresh air, max heat
manually set max fan, windshield only, A/C, recirculate air, max heat

I have a 7 seater and therefore the larger A/C and have rear turned off.

I've had better luck single tapping the windshield button (blue) to defog it quickly. Strangely blowing seemingly cold air, did the job pretty fast. I don't have exact data and tried the double tap (red) only once... and it wasn't that cold.

Haven't found a better/faster way.

oh right, this is in an S, I'd expect the HVAC setup to be similar to the X.

Also what I've noticed is that if you leave the air flow on a too low setting, it'll tend to fog up very quickly all around. Once I get up to temp inside, I usually like to set it to 1 or 2 but if it's very cold outside, it's not enough.

I sometimes drive near a river during cold, humid weather. At various places crossing the river or lower points of the road nearer the river, I get a lot of fogging. Its not even noticeably foggy outside.

I am constantly toggling the front windshield air/heat to clear this. When there are passengers the whole car fogs up.

One of my biggest complaints of the MX.

Reactions: Paul42
Just to let you know I’ve been managing fine while driving under a pretty wide range of conditions. I usually leave it on Auto but Recirculate on (as much as I can). It seems to decide pretty good on A/C or not. Sometimes it takes time to figure it out, so I occasionally have to boost it, with the blue button or force it to run A/C (which knocks it out if Auto) if it does not do it on it’s own (but often does the right thing).

But this was just at startup I was have trouble with and seemed to be a good layer of moisture. I’ll try just blue button next time. I thought red would be faster. This hasn’t happened to often. But it was just the right temps and dew point I guess.

Single tap "Blue" is the defogger. It turns on the A/C and blows air to the windshield. Turning on the A/C lowers the dew point of the air, and is the best option for clearing moisture off the windshield.
Double tap "Red" is the defroster. It turns on the heater and A/C, and blows air to the windshield. This melts ice buildup.

If it's just fog on the inside of the windshield, the Defogger "Blue" option is probably your best bet. Also make sure your zones are set to "Sync".

One more thing - I saw a video somewhere that mentioned the A/C and Heater can be used to help heat or cool the battery to keep the battery in its optimal operating temperature range. I wonder if this effectively steals heat or A/C from the cabin? Can anyone chime in on that?

• Informative
Reactions: spaghetti
Single tap "Blue" is the defogger. It turns on the A/C and blows air to the windshield. Turning on the A/C lowers the dew point of the air, and is the best option for clearing moisture off the windshield.
Double tap "Red" is the defroster. It turns on the heater and A/C, and blows air to the windshield. This melts ice buildup.

If it's just fog on the inside of the windshield, the Defogger "Blue" option is probably your best bet. Also make sure your zones are set to "Sync".

One more thing - I saw a video somewhere that mentioned the A/C and Heater can be used to help heat or cool the battery to keep the battery in its optimal operating temperature range. I wonder if this effectively steals heat or A/C from the cabin? Can anyone chime in on that?

I figured hot dry air would clear fog faster than cool dry air, that’s why I tried the red defrost button.

Battery has it’s own heater and given that battery is cold soaked I doubt it’s getting any A/C.

I did read on this forum one user with a 5 seater X going through the desert struggling to keep the cabin cool because it was all going to keeping the battery cool.

I use RainX anti-fog on the windshield (interior). It's a pain to apply and get streak free, but it makes defog work 10x better.

Hmmm. I have rain x like product on the outside. Griots Glass Sealer that’s been working pretty good (after requiring polishing to get it clean from factory on the outside). But you do remind me I’m still not satisfied how clean the inside is. I need to figure out how I want to clean inside before considering treatment inside. Don’t really want to use polisher inside. But lack of really clean glass on the inside might be part of the whole issue.

Thanks.