Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to delay delivery until 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have reached top of the price range for both 3 and Y. They can only go down in the short term.

Demand shows that. Keep in mine large group of Tesla buyers don't qualify for Tax Credit anyway due to income. Demand is still way down!

Reactions: ord3r
They have reached top of the price range for both 3 and Y. They can only go down in the short term.

Demand shows that. Keep in mine large group of Tesla buyers don't qualify for Tax Credit anyway due to income. Demand is still way down!

Unfortunately, lithium prices are only going up (they've tripled in the last 6 months alone) and EV demand should dramatically increase over the next few years (along with more cars across all OEMs being available.) I'd bet more on a cheaper Model Y via a new model (maybe like a SR Y) before we see a drastic decline in current prices. Hoping to be wrong though.

It has yet to be seen what level of tax credit 2023 Ys will qualify for. Depends on battery mineral sourcing and pack/ module assembly.
Um, there is no question they will qualify based on pack/module assembly since that takes place in Reno, NV. As far as the origin of the minerals, that will be known by the end of the year (hopefully). There is also a purity component for these critical minerals (huh?).

I believe the OP can decline one car but then he has to accept the next or his order will be cancelled. With EOQ coming up, they likely have multiple cars they can assign him so they will only postpone for a day or two, at best he will receive a car EOQ4. If they are absolutely dead set that they don't want the car until 2023, then they should just decline this one and see what happens. As of Jan 3, 2022, base LR MY was 58,990. If OP purchased before it raised from that, it is now $7,000 more. Only $500 less than what the potential tax rebate would give them which becomes only $250 after factoring in the order cost. So if the OP has money available, he can potentially save $250 by waiting until 2023 for a car. With the risk that it will cost $3750 or $7500 more (have to shell out another $250) if the MY doesn't qualify for rebates.

So many armchair macro economists here. It's pretty comical, appreciate the chuckle.
I know these guys are hilarious, check out this bozo:
Elon Musk feels ‘super bad’ about economy, needs to cut 10% of Tesla jobs - JUN 3 2022
Elon Musk says ‘inevitable’ US recession will probably come soon - 21 Jun 2022
Musk Joins Prophets of Gloom with Dire Warnings About the Economy - The Street SEP 24, 2022
What a joke right, almost as funny as forum trolls.

Unfortunately, lithium prices are only going up (they've tripled in the last 6 months alone) and EV demand should dramatically increase over the next few years (along with more cars across all OEMs being available.) I'd bet more on a cheaper Model Y via a new model (maybe like a SR Y) before we see a drastic decline in current prices. Hoping to be wrong though.
It's true that lithium prices have skyrocketed, prices started to go down in May but have now hit a new high. Last report I heard was lithium was responsible for $4k of the price increase, not the full $14, with my point being lithium isn't responsible for all of the price hike.
With the IRA there will be a lithium gold rush in the US and prices will come down, maybe one or two years from now.

I like your idea of a cheaper Model Y, made just to meet IRA requirements

Something needs to be done with the current prices, at 60k Tesla is competing with the Macan. If you've ever driven a Porsche then you know how addicting they are.

I know these guys are hilarious, check out this bozo:
Elon Musk feels ‘super bad’ about economy, needs to cut 10% of Tesla jobs - JUN 3 2022
Elon Musk says ‘inevitable’ US recession will probably come soon - 21 Jun 2022
Musk Joins Prophets of Gloom with Dire Warnings About the Economy - The Street SEP 24, 2022
What a joke right, almost as funny as forum trolls.
Bit of a non-sequitur. Not sure what any of these Elon statements have to do with predicting the price of Tesla vehicles in the future.

We do agree Elon is a bozo.

It's true that lithium prices have skyrocketed, prices started to go down in May but have now hit a new high. Last report I heard was lithium was responsible for $4k of the price increase, not the full $14, with my point being lithium isn't responsible for all of the price hike.
With the IRA there will be a lithium gold rush in the US and prices will come down, maybe one or two years from now.

I like your idea of a cheaper Model Y, made just to meet IRA requirements

Something needs to be done with the current prices, at 60k Tesla is competing with the Macan. If you've ever driven a Porsche then you know how addicting they are.
$4k increase sounds high.

5kg of lithium atoms (minimum) in an 85kWh pack.
Lithium carbonate is $60k/metric ton.
Li2CO3 so by mass:
2x6.94 = 13.88
1x12 = 12
3x16 = 48
13.88/(13.88+12+48)=13.88/73.88 = 18.8% Lithium
So Litium costs $60k/0.188=$319k/metric ton or $319 per kilo
$319*5kg = $1595 per pack.
Even doubling the amount used is only $3190 total.

You do get ~$4k total cost using 850g of LiCO3 per kWh (from random LinkedIn post).

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
$4k increase sounds high.

5kg of lithium atoms (minimum) in an 85kWh pack.
Lithium carbonate is $60k/metric ton.
Li2CO3 so by mass:
2x6.94 = 13.88
1x12 = 12
3x16 = 48
13.88/(13.88+12+48)=13.88/73.88 = 18.8% Lithium
So Litium costs $60k/0.188=$319k/metric ton or $319 per kilo
$319*5kg = $1595 per pack.
Even doubling the amount used is only $3190 total.

You do get ~$4k total cost using 850g of LiCO3 per kWh (from random LinkedIn post).
But cost is cost, not profit. Factor in overhead and inventory cost and yada yada yada and you get $1600 cost equaling much more towards sticker price. Not saying it’s the full $4000 but it’s a lot more than just $1600 that factors into sticker price.

But cost is cost, not profit. Factor in overhead and inventory cost and yada yada yada and you get $1600 cost equaling much more towards sticker price. Not saying it’s the full $4000 but it’s a lot more than just $1600 that factors into sticker price.
Sure, but overhead and processing costs should not vary based on the material cost. Scrap/ waste and inventory carrying costs would scale, but those should only be a small fraction of material price.

It will be a 55k car by end of 2023.
I have not thought it through fully but how would Tesla lower their prices without creating a bunch of cancellations?

If I ordered at the higher price then saw the price had dropped a few weeks later I would cancel my order/re order.

I suppose they could lower the price by small amounts over the course of several months ($500/month?).

Sure, but overhead and processing costs should not vary based on the material cost. Scrap/ waste and inventory carrying costs would scale, but those should only be a small fraction of material price.
Very true but if the cost of the battery reflected in the price of the car is 1.5x battery cost then a rise of $1600 material cost will result in a $2400 rise in car price. Again, I said it doesn’t account for the whole $4000 claimed but a $1600 material price hike that only affects car price by 1600 results in a decreased profit margin percentage. Tesla wants profit margin based on percentage not on a flat price added onto total cost.

Reactions: mongo
I have not thought it through fully but how would Tesla lower their prices without creating a bunch of cancellations?

If I ordered at the higher price then saw the price had dropped a few weeks later I would cancel my order/re order.

I suppose they could lower the price by small amounts over the course of several months ($500/month?).
They can lower the price of existing orders also.

Reactions: ord3r
Very true but if the cost of the battery reflected in the price of the car is 1.5x battery cost then a rise of $1600 material cost will result in a $2400 rise in car price. Again, I said it doesn’t account for the whole $4000 claimed but a $1600 material price hike that only affects car price by 1600 results in a decreased profit margin percentage. Tesla wants profit margin based on percentage not on a flat price added onto total cost.
Yeah, if they are going for a target GM, then $1,600 in cost turns into $2,285 for 30% profit.

Reactions: Mrbrock
I hadn't replied for a while. A Tesla rep on the phone somehow had marked the account to say on hold until end of the year. So I thought I was good to go and didn't want to rock the boat.

But yesterday I received an email confirming cancellation if I don't accept delivery in 2 weeks. Argh.

I called and I think was given incorrect information again. They said I can say I'm ready to accept delivery and that will put me back at the end of the queue for delivery December-February. But I was under the impression the second delivery attempt would be in a matter of days not at the back of the queue. Does anyone know how that works?

Reactions: UtahRider
I hadn't replied for a while. A Tesla rep on the phone somehow had marked the account to say on hold until end of the year. So I thought I was good to go and didn't want to rock the boat.

But yesterday I received an email confirming cancellation if I don't accept delivery in 2 weeks. Argh.

I called and I think was given incorrect information again. They said I can say I'm ready to accept delivery and that will put me back at the end of the queue for delivery December-February. But I was under the impression the second delivery attempt would be in a matter of days not at the back of the queue. Does anyone know how that works?
You wanted a delayed date and got it. Not much to complain about.

Just ask them to delay, and let them cancel if it doesn't work out only $250 down the the drain, not worth sweating on a purchase this large. What price do you have locked? If current price doesn't look ideal today, can always stick with current car for a while.

Reactions: acpd