Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to delay delivery until 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ask them to delay, and let them cancel if it doesn't work out only $250 down the the drain, not worth sweating on a purchase this large. What price do you have locked? If current price doesn't look ideal today, can always stick with current car for a while.
I agree. Go ahead If you have cheaper (~$4k+) price looked.

Otherwise, MYLR is already overpriced. No way Tesla can keep fooling everyone with $70k small SUV without the help of Tax credit in 2023.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I agree. Go ahead If you have cheaper (~$4k+) price looked.

Otherwise, MYLR is already overpriced. No way Tesla can keep fooling everyone with $70k small SUV without the help of Tax credit in 2023.
Uh huh...

Proving my point. $51k for pickup truck. It's still way cheaper than MYLR.
"a 30% increase from the truck’s $39,974 price in May 2021."

That's before "added market value" or "market adjustment" fees that Ford dealers are putting on the second sticker. Show me an offer sheet for a $51k Ford Lightning. I'll hold your beer.

"a 30% increase from the truck’s $39,974 price in May 2021."

That's before "added market value" or "market adjustment" fees that Ford dealers are putting on the second sticker. Show me an offer sheet for a $51k Ford Lightning. I'll hold your beer.
Pickup Trucks are much more expensive. Ford Lightining is still underpriced, should be higher.

Gas equivalents pick up trucks are much more expensive than gas small SUVs.

I'm wondering if OP has successfully delayed the delivery. And if so, any regrets when the news came out that starting October there will be no ultrasonic sensors and temporary feature loss: Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision ?
I wasn't offered delivery any sooner, so it looks like I would have already missed the ultrasonic sensors.... and radar has been gone for a while. Surely, if Tesla says vision will be just as good or better sometime "soon", I'm sure it will happen in short order. :)

I hadn't replied for a while. A Tesla rep on the phone somehow had marked the account to say on hold until end of the year. So I thought I was good to go and didn't want to rock the boat.

But yesterday I received an email confirming cancellation if I don't accept delivery in 2 weeks. Argh.

I called and I think was given incorrect information again. They said I can say I'm ready to accept delivery and that will put me back at the end of the queue for delivery December-February. But I was under the impression the second delivery attempt would be in a matter of days not at the back of the queue. Does anyone know how that works?
Before things changed regarding holds, I was on hold for 8 months and when I came off, I got a car within a couple weeks, at the beginning of a quarter no less. I did not go to the back of the 8 month long line at the time (January 2022). Once they put you in for a car, there has to be one built that matches you and that could take a while or no time at all depending on which builds they are working on at the time your order comes up. If there is one already at your DC that was rejected but matches you, you will get one much sooner.

I'm wondering if OP has successfully delayed the delivery. And if so, any regrets when the news came out that starting October there will be no ultrasonic sensors and temporary feature loss: Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision ?
He answered in post #38. He has to accept the next delivery appointment, whenever that is, or his order will be cancelled so your answer is no. Even if a person on the phone says your order is put on hold, Tesla doesn't offer this anymore so the system will still assign you a vehicle.

Because he wants one but can't afford it. So complaining on here that they are overpriced will get to Elon's ears and the price will magically drop to where he can afford one because he said so.
The fact is MYLR needs Tax Credit to make sense. EDD shows that (down to less than 60 days from 7 months wait in July). As long as you qualify for Tax credit, doesn't make sense to purchase at this price. Everyone's situation is different, I am paying cash so interest rate hike isn't an issue for me.

I would keep an eye on EDD and IRS recommendation on tax credit and looming recession. Make smarter decisions.

Reactions: roostY
Buyers are probably driving Tesla crazy. They order a car, and expect to wait for delivery. During that time they read about something new (or rebate) coming to production and want to change their orders to a later date. Tesla has scheduled production to fulfill those orders as placed. What are they supposed to do?
I can tell you what they can do. Tell us what federal incentives they qualify for. Stop dancing around it. Get better at being more accurate with delivery times. It’s a game right now. That’s why a lot of delivery times are showing Dec-Apr 2023. If too many people postpone, Tesla will consider it a cancel and Tesla will collect a lot of $250 order fees. Tesla hasn’t seen a $7500 incentive for years now. So they’re projecting massive orders in January. Which will result in price increases. So you want to lock-in the price now, but actually pick the car up in January. Tesla has quotas to fill. It’s part of the reason the stock went down because they didn’t meet those quotes last quarter. I’m not a fan of EV incentives. I’ll take them but I’m not a fan of them. The car will sell well on its own. And the Biden administration adding $7500 in tax incentives you’re just creating a pool of greed. I think Tesla is going qualify for $3750 and Tesla’s gonna raise the price of the car in January 3000 bucks. just what I think. But I’ve said this before. They have to get better with delivery dates. Here’s another thought that I don’t know a lot of people considered. You may order the car in December and there’s so many orders that you may not be able to fill it until 2024. And there maybe zero incentive at that point, based on the yearly changes to the battery percentage requirements. So I think the best thing tesla can do is just come clean just say look in December if you haven’t placed your order yet I’m raising the price of the car $3000. This is what we’re going to qualify for this year and this is when you can expect your car. Done.

What information are you talking about?
Clarification on how vehicles will be classified, will the Model Y count as an SUV?, how will MSRP be calculated, does it include options?, what countries count for minerals, what is included in "battery components", etc...

They are actively seeking feedback to help them make determinations, so they can release guidance by the end of the year, as they are required to do:

They have released questions related to the tax credit for vehicles: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-22-46.pdf

Reactions: acpd and mongo
Buyers are probably driving Tesla crazy. They order a car, and expect to wait for delivery. During that time they read about something new (or rebate) coming to production and want to change their orders to a later date. Tesla has scheduled production to fulfill those orders as placed. What are they supposed to do?
Who's driving who crazy?

Delivery dates from Tesla that float by 6 to 8 months!!

Yes, poor Tesla with n35% Profit and no charging cable with ban electric car.

My guitar gently weeps.

• Funny
Reactions: acpd and ord3r
I think you can postpone your delivery about a month. Complicated.

I just spoke to a Tesla Person (found a local store that listed some open hours and a phone number, some do not. I called number, asked an automated service for a call-back, took an hour). They said I could put my account on hold until my original estimated delivery date. The person agreed to put an "target delivery date" in the next month, but told me that sometime in the original estimated delivery month I would get a text message telling me I had to take my account off hold. So, from this I conclude that you can push back your delivery date up to a month beyond your estimated delivery date.

Now, the Tesla rep never explained any policy. Further, my "original delivery date" doesn't appear on my order confirmation.
CONCLUSION: CALL THEM. Ask them to explain policy, ask them to work with you to stretch delivery date as much as possible.

Opinions in Response to Posters above:
Thus far my favorite post here includes "Lower gas prices have helped ease demand". In CA the refineries ever and always find newer and more incomprehensible ways to crank up gas prices, including going offline at times of shortages to a__-___k us Californians. Gas is now above $7 in most cities in CA. And I seem to recall that USA has fought like a dozen wars over oil, and every few years like clockwork, oil producers collude to produce gigantic spikes in oil, and therefore gasoline prices, over the historical long term. And I think due to Ukraine war issues, everyone in Europe will want an EV as well ASAP. I think EV demand will remain robust for some time not just in CA, the USA's most populous state, but in many others, and in greater Europe. Just my opinion, but I think it's pretty justified.

(Many very nice looking EVs will come online in the next years, but consider the humongous failures of the ID4 (software) and the BZX4 and all its variants (literally wheels falling off). Not all that is promised will turn out well.)

Now, the Tesla rep never explained any policy. Further, my "original delivery date" doesn't appear on my order confirmation.
CONCLUSION: CALL THEM. Ask them to explain policy, ask them to work with you to stretch delivery date as much as

The problem with your strategy: front-line Tesla people are almost completely powerless, by design. They have no real ability to control pretty much anything. Most of the time they just tell you something to get you off the phone.

Tesla’s gonna get ruthless about this come end of quarter, particularly for people sitting on orders with purchase prices much less than current list. You’ll take a car or they’ll cancel your order, no matter what Todd at the sales gallery told you.

The fact is MYLR needs Tax Credit to make sense.
I think that is an opinion that varies from buyer to buyer. In my case I am transitioning from a very early 2016 MX. I will miss air suspension but at my age the extra safety features are worth it to me. I also got a great price on my MX from a private party which will compensate for not getting the tax credit. When I placed my order in March there was no prospect of the tax credit anyway.

Last edited: