Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to delay delivery until 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact is MYLR needs Tax Credit to make sense.
I think that is an opinion that varies from buyer to buyer. In my case I am transitioning from a very early 2016 MX. I will miss air suspension but at my age the extra safety features are worth it to me. I also got a great price on my MX from a private party which will compensate for not getting the tax credit. When I placed my order in March there was no prospect of the tax credit anyway.
Tax credit on EV sale/purchase is not the best way to manage it, IMO. If the government really wants help address the environment issue, give credits to people who operate EVs (for example, submit proof of EV operation at tax filing to get credits).

Thanks forums members- delivery delayed till January 2023.
04-13-2022: Ordered online MYLR, white/black, gemini wheels, 5 seats. EDD of February-April 2023
11-15-2022: Texted that EDD is November 21-December 5
11-20-2022: Received text @ 12:20pm that VIN is assigned
Next text at same time: Time to schedule delivery. Go to tesla.com/schedule/reservation # to schedule now.
Being it was Sunday and I did not want delivery till 2023 for the tax credit, I did not answer the text but would call Tesla on Monday morning. (888)518-3752
Third text this day received at 1:36 pm that my pick up from Tesla Center in Vallejo,CA. is scheduled for
11/23/2022 or today!!!!!!!!! This is Sunday remember. Then it said to reply YES or NO to this text. I did not
answer for same reason as above.
11/21/2022: Called Tesla and got an 80 minute wait on hold or a call-back. Took call-back some time later. Explained to
Rep about all 3 text messages in a row with little time to plan. Then I explained about original EDD of February
2023 and he offered a January 2023 delivery but not allowed a second extension. I happily accepted!!!! Got to
keep my $62K price, mobile connector and future tax credit (hopefully). Having a 2023 original EDD seems to
be good for a January 2023 delivery delay.

Reactions: EV Obsession
04-13-2022: Ordered online MYLR, white/black, gemini wheels, 5 seats. EDD of February-April 2023
Next text at same time: Time to schedule delivery. Go to tesla.com/schedule/reservation # to schedule now.
Being it was Sunday and I did not want delivery till 2023 for the tax credit, I did not answer the text but would call Tesla on Monday morning. (888)518-3752
Third text this day received at 1:36 pm that my pick up from Tesla Center in Vallejo,CA. is scheduled for
11/23/2022 or today!!!!!!!!! This is Sunday remember. Then it said to reply YES or NO to this text. I did not
11/21/2022: Called Tesla and got an 80 minute wait on hold or a call-back. Took call-back some time later. Explained to
Rep about all 3 text messages in a row with little time to plan. Then I explained about original EDD of February
2023 and he offered a January 2023 delivery but not allowed a second extension. I happily accepted!!!! Got to
keep my $62K price, mobile connector and future tax credit (hopefully). Having a 2023 original EDD seems to
You can reject delivery once which you just did. The January 2023 is still estimated. Be prepared to get another vin during end of Q4 push. They can’t guarantee a next delivery date when you reject. At least that is the experience many have reported. Maybe you won’t get a vin before 2023, maybe you will.

tech issues with my last reply so hope this make more sense.

I just had a very similar situation and because I'll be on a work trip during my 3 day pick up options I had to put my order on hold for a week. I'm hoping I can get a new VIN and pick up by mid December because I'll then be out of the country for the last week of December.

What does your account show, is your order on hold or did it just give you an updated EDD?

I just called Tesla and my original EDD was October - January 2023. My EDD in the app changed for like the 5th or 6th time and was pushed back to Dec 2-Dec30th. The rep told me that it should be the middle of December, but I don't see that in the app.. I asked when am I getting the vin and when am I getting the code for the mobile charger since I already received an email last month that I should be receiving another email with the charger code.

I will try to see if I can delay it to January since my original EDD ends in January.. Who knows... I see a lot of people getting vins now and I am in the east coast.. So I can potentially put it on hold once I get a vin? And after that when they assign me another vin reject that car as my one time rejection to possibly push out to January? It is so close and I have not even applied yet to get my financing in order b/c I do not want my credit pulled yet until I get a vin.. The CU that I am using has approvals for only 30 days...

The text and email I got from Tesla said my order is on hold until 01/01/2023.
You're right MrBrock, I never thought of that as I took Tesla at their word. You popped my balloon. LOL. Yes, bottom line is that Tesla will be pushing deliverys so Wall Street will be happy and stock prices go UP. I could ending up losing on this one.

Your Order is on Hold​
Hold until
01/01/2023

Reservation Number
RNxxxxxxxxx

If you are ready to take delivery, go to your Tesla Account and tap 'Remove Hold'. You will receive an update when your vehicle is available.​

I ordered March. I wanted it delayed until January. They were delaying my delivery day by day. Someone at tesla was trying to help me. But time ran out and they just cancelled my 8 month old model y order despite just having spent $70,000 on a new Tesla solar roof.
Tesla and/or Elon is careless with employees and customers. As this recession hits they may need to pay more attention to customers as Elons true self is revealed via his actions as owner of Twitter.

I ordered March. I wanted it delayed until January. They were delaying my delivery day by day. Someone at tesla was trying to help me. But time ran out and they just cancelled my 8 month old model y order despite just having spent $70,000 on a new Tesla solar roof.
Tesla and/or Elon is careless with employees and customers. As this recession hits they may need to pay more attention to customers as Elons true self is revealed via his actions as owner of Twitter.
Not sure what buying solar panels or EM and twitter have to do with your issue. You bought a car, excepted the terms and cost then never wanted to collect the order. if you didn’t want it you should have waited to order when you were prepared to take it.

Not sure what buying solar panels or EM and twitter have to do with your issue. You bought a car, excepted the terms and cost then never wanted to collect the order. if you didn’t want it you should have waited to order when you were prepared to take it.
That all sounds great if and when you are ordering something that is delivered in a timely manner. 7 plus months is not timely and things change both in the world and personally. No one thought there was going to be another credit hanging out there either and if one qualifies; I am not sure I wouldn't just cash in my $250 and order another one considering it could be an 11% reduction.

Don't let it surprise you. He has been that way all along. An arrogant bully and increased wealth exacerbates that and it rubs off on his organizations. Loyalty, as a TESLA customer (on my eighth Tesla), has exactly zero clout or rewards. People vote with their actions. It's our only voice. I've canceled my 2023 Model Y and sold over 1000 shares of TSLA. My mentor has done the same. as well as my stock follower friends. Nice cars and it was a nice ride, while it lasted.
Ok, ok, what does TSLA stock have to do with being discounted you ask?? Multiply our sentiments times thousands. OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I'm Dubya. (W).

Don't let it surprise you. He has been that way all along. An arrogant bully and increased wealth exacerbates that and it rubs off on his organizations. Loyalty, as a TESLA customer (on my eighth Tesla), has exactly zero clout or rewards. People vote with their actions. It's our only voice. I've canceled my 2023 Model Y and sold over 1000 shares of TSLA. My mentor has done the same. as well as my stock follower friends. Nice cars and it was a nice ride, while it lasted.
Ok, ok, what does TSLA stock have to do with being discounted you ask?? Multiply our sentiments times thousands. OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I'm Dubya. (W).
I would definitely agree, for example, they stopped providing the mobile charger, majority of deliveries has some issue with the car. If the company was new I would definitely understand but now it's sheer BS. Paying a premium price for a car and dealing with this BS. Seriously frustrating. Should care more about trying to build new variants better and make a perfect example for the Model S, 3, X, Y. Build cyber trucks and others but fix the existing issue first. As well as you are taking more than a few months to build the car take some more and make sure you build a nice car to hand off to your customers. There are better build EV coming in the same price range. So TESLA gotta brace up for the competition.

Reactions: Fairchild
I ordered in May '22 with original EDD of Nov '22 - Feb 23 at the time of order. Current EDD is Dec 8 - 31 so also trying to get delayed to next year. No VIN

I texted my rep asking to delay to 2023 and he simply responded with "Due to your order date, we are not able to place a hold on your account until 1/1/23" which sounds like complete BS. Is there anything else I can do like call a center?

I just called Tesla and my original EDD was October - January 2023. My EDD in the app changed for like the 5th or 6th time and was pushed back to Dec 2-Dec30th. The rep told me that it should be the middle of December, but I don't see that in the app.. I asked when am I getting the vin and when am I getting the code for the mobile charger since I already received an email last month that I should be receiving another email with the charger code.

I will try to see if I can delay it to January since my original EDD ends in January.. Who knows... I see a lot of people getting vins now and I am in the east coast.. So I can potentially put it on hold once I get a vin? And after that when they assign me another vin reject that car as my one time rejection to possibly push out to January? It is so close and I have not even applied yet to get my financing in order b/c I do not want my credit pulled yet until I get a vin.. The CU that I am using has approvals for only 30 days...
Any luck getting it delayed?

I'm pulling the trigger. My price just went down to $57,690.00, break down is below. So glad I ignored the cult chanting "why did you order a car but don't want to take delivery". So many masochist who enjoy Tesla's abuse on this forum.

Model Y $39,990.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive $19,000.00
Tow Hitch $1,000.00
Destination Fee $1,200.00
Order Fee $250.00
Referral Credit -$3,750.00
Car Price $57,690.00