Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to delay delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a MYLR 7 seater ordered last year. EDD is Jan-March 2023. Put the order on hold until now but has now automatically come off hold with the new year. Reason for holding off isn’t relevant to the post but essentially $7500 wasn’t worth getting current feature set. Don’t qualify for tax rebate so little incentive to take delivery on Jan. Given rumors of HD radar, hw4, USS fix, etc.

As I expected, was contacted today, VIN assigned. I’ve intentionally not completed the “method of payment, etc” steps.

What’s the best way to delay this as much as possible? I’m guessing the SA won’t let me put it on hold any more. How long can I ignore the email to “schedule delivery”? I presume I get one VIN rejection, right? Wondering if I can avoid scheduling delivery and then reject the VIN?

I know it may come to them threatening to cancel my order and I lose $250. But guessing Tesla may be more interested in working with a customer than potentially cancelling the entire order given events over the last month.

Btw I realize the topic of “delay” has been discussed last year. But I feel the dynamics may be different in 2023 (mid Jan hd radar? USS replacement fix, etc). Also really trying to see exactly what the next steps are and how I can drag it out.

Hmmm… not sure if you can change the specs of the car to something more rare? Prob a losing battle. They’ll probably have less pressure on you than they did a week ago, but they’re still operating under the same q1 goals.

Probably someone who’s taken delivery in the last year or so can speak to the specific steps after getting the “schedule delivery” email and options you have.

So rejecting a VIN is the same as placing the order on hold until the previously promised EDD? So if I were to take delivery and see some defect/etc that I wasn’t comfortable with, I’m not allowed to reject the VIN?

Rejecting a defective car might be possible, if it had an actual serious defect that Tesla could not correct at the service center.

I find that to be a high-risk strategy to try and buy more time. If you didn't have a VIN I'd suggest juggling the financing or altering the options to see if that'd shift your spot in line temporarily, but once an order has a VIN, Tesla is building what you ordered and wants you to take delivery. They've been a bit pushy about it lately since backlogs are lower.

You could also transfer your order to someone who don't want to wait for delivery,
which is Jan-Mar 2023 for a 5 seats and Feb-Apr for a 7 seats.

So you could save your $250 and even more if there a big difference with the current price.
My SA told me very clearly it is against Tesla's policy to change/transfer registration. I think it makes sense to block scalpers, but YMMV.

Reactions: AJ..
Tesla has become weary of people delaying taking deliveries when their vehicle is ready. They have no place to store un delivered cars, so need to take the time to go through their lists of waiting buyers or discount them to create more demand.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement, so many will want to keep delaying until all the rumored improvements become reality, so Tesla, understandably, will want buyers to take delivery when their configured car is ready.

If you are not ready to take delivery when available, they allow you to simply cancel your order, lose your order fee and go on your way.

Reactions: Yelobird
Tesla has become weary of people delaying taking deliveries when their vehicle is ready. They have no place to store un delivered cars, so need to take the time to go through their lists of waiting buyers or discount them to create more demand.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement, so many will want to keep delaying until all the rumored improvements become reality, so Tesla, understandably, will want buyers to take delivery when their configured car is ready.

If you are not ready to take delivery when available, they allow you to simply cancel your order, lose your order fee and go on your way.
Very reasonable. Wonder if there will be a point this year as the demand-supply relationship shifts, that they begin to allow people to place their order on hold longer. I.e. don’t make/deliver the car but allow someone to lock the price and avoid losing their $250. Seems better than the person starting from scratch and potentially looking at other EVs when they are ready to renter the market.

So, I am facing a very similar issue. What I am going to attempt to do, is change the color of my car, every few days until my delivery window changes. I know for a fact changing the design of the car could delay the expected delivery date, so I will try and put that into practice. I am between two colors anyways, so thought I would give that a try.

Has anyone tried this successfully?

So, I am facing a very similar issue. What I am going to attempt to do, is change the color of my car, every few days until my delivery window changes. I know for a fact changing the design of the car could delay the expected delivery date, so I will try and put that into practice. I am between two colors anyways, so thought I would give that a try.

They won’t allow changing the color every few days. If your that undecided why not just cancel and wait till you actually made a decision

Have a MYLR 7 seater ordered last year. EDD is Jan-March 2023. Put the order on hold until now but has now automatically come off hold with the new year. Reason for holding off isn’t relevant to the post but essentially $7500 wasn’t worth getting current feature set. Don’t qualify for tax rebate so little incentive to take delivery on Jan. Given rumors of HD radar, hw4, USS fix, etc.

As I expected, was contacted today, VIN assigned. I’ve intentionally not completed the “method of payment, etc” steps.

What’s the best way to delay this as much as possible? I’m guessing the SA won’t let me put it on hold any more. How long can I ignore the email to “schedule delivery”? I presume I get one VIN rejection, right? Wondering if I can avoid scheduling delivery and then reject the VIN?

I know it may come to them threatening to cancel my order and I lose $250. But guessing Tesla may be more interested in working with a customer than potentially cancelling the entire order given events over the last month.
Do they really care ??, Probably just someone get you car anyway - no big deal , just order another

They won’t allow changing the color every few days. If your that undecided why not just cancel and wait till you actually made a decision
I am not changing the color because I am undecided. I am changing the color to organically push my delivery date out because Tesla will not delay it for me. If I cancel my order, I lose the deposit.

I just tried this, and I changed my design to white, which moved my delivery window out from March - May to April - Jun. I am curious if anyone else has done this successfully.

I am not changing the color because I am undecided. I am changing the color to organically push my delivery date out because Tesla will not delay it for me. If I cancel my order, I lose the deposit.

I just tried this, and I changed my design to white, which moved my delivery window out from March - May to April - Jun. I am curious if anyone else has done this successfully.
did your change result in a price increase, or was your original order already at the higher price?

I was told that at the end of the quarter, they push to get deliveries out. If you refuse delivery, you go back in the queue. Since we're at the beginning of a new quarter, they told me that you can delay delivery a week or two.