Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Delay/ hold order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen mentioned that people were able to place the reservation, then place it on hold for some period of months before you’re paired with a VIN. How do you do that?
I placed an order end of March, then noticed they’re estimating June for delivery, but I’d rather wait. I both texted and emailed the sales advisor who helped me during the test drive and haven’t seen any response at all, or changes to the estimated delivery date. I think it’s a ymmv situation, but Is there some trick to getting SAs to respond? Or do I just wait till I get a VIN and they start bugging me for insurance and payment, and delay at that point ?
I’d rather delay / hold the Rez now if possible since the clock starts on the timer once they give you a VIN.

I dont think there is anyone but a SA or someone at their Delivery Center that can do it.

I know at first my SA answered my calls/ email pretty fast (A day or two after sending)

When my VIN was assigned/ prompted to pick up, my SA was no where to be found and responded very late after.

You can try calling your nearest delivery center to your address and have them pull up your RN number and have them put it on Hold.

Other than that, you will need to physically go to a Delivery Center if you HAVE to put your RN on hold.

I would just leave it alone personally and wait til you get a vin and they come CALLING you instead to pick up the car/ make arrangements.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Upvote 0
I’ve seen mentioned that people were able to place the reservation, then place it on hold for some period of months before you’re paired with a VIN. How do you do that?
I placed an order end of March, then noticed they’re estimating June for delivery, but I’d rather wait. I both texted and emailed the sales advisor who helped me during the test drive and haven’t seen any response at all, or changes to the estimated delivery date. I think it’s a ymmv situation, but Is there some trick to getting SAs to respond? Or do I just wait till I get a VIN and they start bugging me for insurance and payment, and delay at that point ?
I’d rather delay / hold the Rez now if possible since the clock starts on the timer once they give you a VIN.
Try this email address: [email protected]. I've a Model Y on hold until July and that's the email address I got a reply.

Upvote 0
I just told them I wasn't ready to take delivery. I delayed from Feb 2020 to Apr 2021, 14 months. I finally took delivery last month.

Upvote 0
I just told them I wasn't ready to take delivery. I delayed from Feb 2020 to Apr 2021, 14 months. I finally took delivery last month.

Try this email address: [email protected]. I've a Model Y on hold until July and that's the email address I got a reply.
K thanks for your suggestions, I just emailed the city_ordersupport@tesla email address I had received some correspondence from during the test drive process, we’ll see if it happens

Upvote 0
Wow wish I knew it could extend that far when the MY LR was still 48990
Fwiw I just chatted with a sales advisory (had to go in person) and they said in 2020 with covid they were a lot more understanding about delays and flexibility, but their latest guidance this year is to be a bit less flexible, they allow one delay/hold, but then you need to take delivery or risk them cancelling your reservation. And I asked about delaying till q4 and they said that’d be getting into December and much tougher.

Which tbh I think is fair, most car companies don’t let you hold a price and not take delivery for multiple quarters, into a new calendar year. Especially as costs of supplies keep increasing.

Upvote 0
I got an email from the local store a couple hours after my reservation was confirmed. I told him that I was going to delay and he said no problem. Currently I am on hold til Q4 but I might push til Q1 2022 (mentioned I was waiting for the tax breaks to come back). Very easy.

1620354064891.png

Reactions: sb415
Upvote 0
Has anyone who cancelled their order had to forfeit more than their $100 order fee?

In the order agreement document, they say that you can loose the "transportation fee" too, but I'm wondering if this is different than the $1200 destination & doc fee. Specifically it says you can loose any fees you already paid, so that would imply just the $100 and nothing more. But anyone have experience or different takes on this?

Text from order agreement:
"At this point, you agree that any paid Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transporta􀀣on fee have been earned. If you cancel your order or breach
this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee"

Full doc

Upvote 0
Has anyone who cancelled their order had to forfeit more than their $100 order fee?

In the order agreement document, they say that you can loose the "transportation fee" too, but I'm wondering if this is different than the $1200 destination & doc fee. Specifically it says you can loose any fees you already paid, so that would imply just the $100 and nothing more. But anyone have experience or different takes on this?

Text from order agreement:
"At this point, you agree that any paid Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transporta􀀣on fee have been earned. If you cancel your order or breach
this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee"

Full doc
Zombie thread!
I'm guessing the "transportation fee" text covers inventory cars that you put a deposit down, are transported to your local store, and then you decide not to take delivery. And it's not applicable to new "from the factory" ordered cars. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
What you want to do is just reject a VIN if you get one assigned before you are ready. When you release a hold your order goes in the end of the queue I think, not to the front of the line. It is mainly for securing pricing. You can probably ask to be put on hold for a month but you will likely find that when you release the hold you will get your vehicle much later than you plan. Until a VIN gets assigned the days/weeks estimate is a complete guess and not something to go be if you absolutely need a car by X date.

Hold does not work out to, “I want to pay for my car on X date, hold my order until then.“ If that is the situation you find yourself in, buying direct from Tesla is not for you. You will need to lol for inventory or used cars for that buying experience. Ev-tsla.com is your friend.

Upvote 0