Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to determine if a car has Ludacris/Insane mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think there is a specific VIN digit that tells. There will be a line under the right rear badge.Like so:

Tesla-Model-S-P90D-Ludicrouos-Mode-upgraded-badge.jpg

Last edited:
How long before some one starts producing small chrome bars that you affix yourself? Kind of like all the fake "M " version BMW s or AMG Mercedes but the same bar does show up on your dash when you start the car and that can't be faked. Or just put your foot down hard on the accelerator. :)

Is there an easy way or any vin decoder that may detail weather or not a vehicle has the launch mode on a particular model S or X? What year did Ludacris come out and what years was insane available? Thanks gang
Ludicrous mode came out in July 2015. Option code BP01 = Ludicrous mode enabled. You can also go to Controls and see if it says Ludicrous:
P90D-Ludicrous-Mode-Setting.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Btr_ftw
There are also the rare P85Ds, including mine, that were upgraded to Ludicrous. The VINs didn't change obviously. Only way to make sure is to see the About dialog (by pressing on the T) and, of course, the Ludicrous option in the settings.
I'm not one to cheat at all. I have always been one to pay the price no matter what - so that I can sleep at night. However, I have heard that some folks are going to order every option that "can be" upgraded, but not upgrade it so that their VIN will show the "cheapest" features to their insurance company....then pay cash for all of the upgrades so that their insurance company would never know.

The only problem I've seen with that is that I've seen my insurance company not repair a car to its fully upgraded potential because they were oblivious to "said" upgrades that they didn't know about.