Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to determine if cream interior seats are leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know when Tesla switched over from leather to a vegan material for the cream interior seats?

I'm trying to determine for sure if my 2018 Model S cream interior seats are leather or not. I guess if my seats are not leather, they've done a good job because I honestly can't tell the difference :)

I want to figure this out for sure so I can use a proper cleaner for the material in use.

Thanks for the replies! At delivery I remember someone telling me something about my car having the last batch of leather seats. Could someone definitely corroborate that all 2018 Model S cream interiors are vegan?

Is it "safe" to use a high quality leather cleaner and condition on vegan cream interior seats?

This is what I plan on using on the seats and wanted to make sure it is safe:

https://amzn.to/2MugXUU

All ‘vegan’ seats are the same Ultrafabric material and should be cleaned with water or alcohol (if you need something stronger). The PDF from the Ultrafabric vendor site has been posted several times and includes examples such as counter alcohol wipes from Clorox and the like.

When needed I use Clorox wipes and rinse with a damp (water) paper towel and then dry.

Leather cleaning products should never be used as they are meant for ‘skin’ and not plastic.

2018 is definitely Ultrafabric. My X was made in September 2017 and has Cream Ultrafabric.

Thanks for the replies! At delivery I remember someone telling me something about my car having the last batch of leather seats. Could someone definitely corroborate that all 2018 Model S cream interiors are vegan?

Is it "safe" to use a high quality leather cleaner and condition on vegan cream interior seats?

Water only, and perhaps diluted Simple Green for any stains. They clean up very nicely, and I'm happy to not have leather anymore.

To tell if any seat is leather or fake, push your finger into it and see if it creates little fine wrinkles, or a smoother finish. Fine wrinkles indicate real leather.
Here's a video I just shot showing what I'm talking about.

To tell if any seat is leather or fake, push your finger into it and see if it creates little fine wrinkles, or a smoother finish. Fine wrinkles indicate real leather.
Here's a video I just shot showing what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the replies everyone!So it seems the best way to clean the surface is to use a microfiber cloth and a container of water with a couple of drops of dish soap. I assume Myers Dish Soap is fine?

Is there anything I can put over after cleaning as a conditioner to keep the material supple/soft and not crack or is that built-in to the fabric?

I guess the leather cleaner and conditioner I bought is useless... (?) Could the leather cleaner/condition I bought cause harm?

Could someone confirm that Meyer's Dish Soap diluted with water and microfiber is a good way to clean the cream seats?

I guess I should follow that up by wiping with a clean and slightly moist microfiber to remove any residue?

Another possible quick way - we have both, the real cream (2015) and fake cream (2018). One difference immediately noticeable is that the real leather car had black carpets, vs. the vegan option has matching cream colored carpets (both the mats and the carpets underneath.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Tesla switched over from leather to a vegan material for the cream interior seats?

I'm trying to determine for sure if my 2018 Model S cream interior seats are leather or not. I guess if my seats are not leather, they've done a good job because I honestly can't tell the difference :)

I want to figure this out for sure so I can use a proper cleaner for the material in use.
My 2017 P100D Has cream seats too. Not leather of course. Still looks brand new. Really beautiful Color.