Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to determine which Linux kernel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
I heard on the latest Ride the Lightning podcast (I highly recommend that podcast to my fellow Teslaphiles) that Tesla recently started updating the Lynx kernel from 2.6.36 to 4.4.36.

How does one determine what version kernel their car is using?

My car is on 8.1 (17.26.76).

It's "Linux". And for the most part end users / owners don't really need to know this as it doesn't affect us directly.

Bruce.

Yeah, I noticed the typo (stupid spell check). But for some reason this forum does not allow folks to edit their posts so I get to look dumb in perpetuity. :)

As for knowing what version, I may not need to know but being a science geek I want to know.

BTW, did you notice we both joined the list on the same day and have close to the same number of messages? What are the chances?

No clue. Only stepped in to say Mel and Tom with Talking Tesla are where it's at if for no other reason than to hear Mel, someone apparently smart enough to have studied medicine and practice it, completely butcher people's names.

Yeah, I noticed the typo (stupid spell check). But for some reason this forum does not allow folks to edit their posts so I get to look dumb in perpetuity. :)

As for knowing what version, I may not need to know but being a science geek I want to know.

BTW, did you notice we both joined the list on the same day and have close to the same number of messages? What are the chances?
You don't have an edit button?
View media item 116981

You don't have an edit button?
View media item 116981

No. Just checked again and here's what I see:
edit.jpg

When you start a new thread, you only have 10 minutes to edit your first post (unlike other posts where you have up to 60 minutes to edit). Also, you can't edit your thread title whatsoever. Paying members, though, have additional privileges for editing.

You can use the REPORT function to ask a moderator to correct the spelling for you in the title and first post.

• Informative
Reactions: Patrick W

Heh, sorry. I guess I'm overreacting to some people who have gotten (IMO) overly excited about new Linux kernels for basically no demonstrated reason.

And about out joining date and number of posts, I guess that just shows we both spend too much time here on TMC (a certain person sitting next to me who wishes to remain anonymous agrees with me).

Bruce.

Reactions: boaterva
Heh, sorry. I guess I'm overreacting to some people who have gotten (IMO) overly excited about new Linux kernels for basically no demonstrated reason.

I get excited as it shows that Tesla is actually committing some resources to things besides just the flashy new AP type stuff. Stuff that will presumably benefit us "Classic" owners, or even the AP1 folks who also seem to have been abandoned by Tesla since AP2 was announced.

Also it was originally announced that with a new kernel would come an updated browser, something that's about 4 years past due. Unfortunately that's since been moved back.