Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable auto-on audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
I seem to recall this was an optional "feature" not a forced feature.

I'll be listening to a station on TuneIn and the last thing I do when pulling into the garage after a drive is to scroll the left wheel (acting as volume knob) down down down until it goes into mute mode (since there is no way to turn TuneIn OFF that I know of).

Problem is, upon opening door next time I drive, the car has decided, surely I want LOUD MUSIC blaring from whatever station I was listening to. No, Tesla, I do not.

This is also the case if one was playing iPhone music via Bluetooth. Which again, I *always* *always* *always* stop playing before I park the car. And yet, sure enough, next time I open driver's door, car gleefully starts playing something, anything (seems random) on my iPhone. Nuts!

Is there a way to tell the car to stop doing this? If I set the volume to MUTE then I expect that is how the car will be when I get in it next time.

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag and TpGn
Running 8.0 whatever the latest is for classic S85s from 2013.

Turn the volume to a reasonable level and then mute it by clicking the left scroll button?

As for this, that is basically what I am doing, sans clicking the button -- clicking the button for TuneIn pauses the streaming, but that's usually not what I wanna do. Like, if I'm listening to an NPR station and they go into one of their "support for NPR comes from the One Percenter Foundation" or whatever, I quickly scroll the volume to zero which effectively mutes it so I can wait 30 sec and then scroll the volume back up and the commercial ad break has passed -- but if I were to click the knob it would simply "pause" the stream and then when I clicked it again I would still be hearing more about how the One Percenter Foundation is giving so much money for good things and makes the philanthropists feel good yadda yadda and I would rather not hear about that :)

"Latest" and "updated yesterday" doesn't really help. Especially when someone reads this in a month. You may not actually have the "latest" even if you got it "yesterday." Would be easier for folks to check/confirm issue if they had a firmware number to go off of.

"Latest" and "updated yesterday" doesn't really help. Especially when someone reads this in a month. You may not actually have the "latest" even if you got it "yesterday." Would be easier for folks to check/confirm issue if they had a firmware number to go off of.

Oh you guys, always making me go out to the car to check firmware versions :) Car has 8.0 (2.42.40).

Oh, and from the It Sure Would Be Nice Dept.:
It Sure Would Be Nice if the official Tesla phone app revealed the car's firmware version so you don't gave to go out to the car just to check it :)

Reactions: Boatguy
This frustrates the heck outta me. I listen to audiobooks a lot.

#1 I hate how it unpauses the iPhone sound before I've gotten in/sat down. I'm not blasting music, so the problem for me is that I miss part of the audiobook. So, most of the time when I enter or leave the car, I hit the quick-rewind on the phone (which goes back 15 seconds).

#2 The other problem I have - perhaps slightly related - a lot of the time, when I get to the car and get in, it's playing the audio (both the car and the phone show it as playing, and the marker on the phone shows the time progressing in the track being played) . . . but the sound isn't happening. It's like the car talks to the phone and knows what it's doing, but it just doesn't relay the sound. (So, pause/unpause don't help.) I've found I have to switch to something else (I use Slacker, but radio also works) and right back to the phone - then BOOM the sound is audible.

Neither of these was a problem pre 8.x. #2 doesn't happen every time I get in the car, but frequently. I'm not sure if it's related to going to sleep or not - haven't quite figured out why sometimes the sound is on, and sometimes the sound's off BUT the audio is "playing" (silently) (as in, the pause/unpause doesn't help).

But #1 . . . sigh. I used to be annoyed the phone didn't auto-play when I got in. Now it does, but it's too aggressive. It should wait till I get in the car and close the door. I mean, if I close the door without getting in, it pauses - so clearly it has the smarts to do something different, but it wasn't programmed to be quite smart enough.

But #1 . . . sigh. I used to be annoyed the phone didn't auto-play when I got in. Now it does, but it's too aggressive. It should wait till I get in the car and close the door. I mean, if I close the door without getting in, it pauses - so clearly it has the smarts to do something different, but it wasn't programmed to be quite smart enough.
Yep - before I had to manually select bluetooth from the audio sources every time I got in the car (I used the right scroll wheel - but, those morons removed audio source selection as a possible function on the scrollwheel) But, now it's even more annoying - like you I listen to audiobooks and somebody wrote software that bangs the phone's PLAY key as often as f'ing possible.

It's a huge hassle to make a phone call. Press pause. make a call, and the damn thing pushes PLAY PLAY PLAY G;DAMN IT, PLAY PLAY as soon as the phone call ends. No, g;damn it, I paused the thing. STOP! So, when I make a call, I pause, turn the volume down, select USB (because that refuses to remember where I was when I select another source, so when I go back to USB, the damn thing is mercifully quiet). Make my phone call, then reselect bluetooth.

The hassle is that I can no longer change sources from the scroll wheel! And, the bums made the app buttons auto-hide, so it's a multi-step distraction to get the audo app running and then select usb.

It makes you wonder if anyone on their software team, test team, or management team actually uses the software.

I find the radio stays muted upon returning to the car. So you could switch the source then mute it before turning off the car. An annoyance, but maybe a work around. I have firmware 2.48.82

This problem is not limited to Tesla's, our Audi seems to think everyone wants a soundtrack every time they drive. To get around it, we have to switch to a source with nothing connected to it to get it to stay off. My Volt wouldn't remember a mute click, but if you dialed the volume to 0, it would remember that. Sigh.

My Leaf does a lot of the things described above also (auto-starting when starting the car and when ending a call, even if previously paused). Our Toyota Sienna works similarly. I do think they both store the volume from the prior session though, so it will only blare if you left it turned up.

Upon further experimentation, it appears that if I roll the scroll wheel to 0 to turn down the audio it "sticks". If I just click the scroll wheel to mute, it resumes at the prior volume upon restart, at least on the radio. So maybe it is fixed, since I appear to have a newer firmware version than @tinm ? (assuming bigger .numbers = newer)