Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable auto-on audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk has been promising media player fixes since late 2016. We did get a few items fixed last year, like getting the station list to show up for XM radio - but a number of obvious bugs still remain, such as periodically forgetting what media source was selected or turning the audio back on when re-entering the car after it had been turned off. And it's not clear if they've fixed the "shuffle" mode for USB songs (which was playing back the same "random" song sequence every time).

Even if Tesla is focusing on major items like autopilot, NAV 2.0, Model 3, surely they could peel off at least one software developer to fix these issues...

I had this issue with my iPhone. I generally use Spotify for my music, but the MS automatically connects and starts playing some music from the “Apple Music” app. I just “removed/hid” the Apple Music app. So far so good.

It appears they have finally fixed things! Two days ago as I was unloading groceries with the back doors open I realized the audio book I had stopped just before getting out did not start up again. I think the same thing happened a few days earlier but it didn't register at the time. I also haven't had it start playing phone audio or streaming music when I got in the car for awhile. Nor did phone audio start playing after a phone call when it hadn't been playing before the phone call.

I hope this stays fixed...

This frustrates the heck outta me. I listen to audiobooks a lot.
#2 The other problem I have - perhaps slightly related - a lot of the time, when I get to the car and get in, it's playing the audio (both the car and the phone show it as playing, and the marker on the phone shows the time progressing in the track being played) . . . but the sound isn't happening. It's like the car talks to the phone and knows what it's doing, but it just doesn't relay the sound. (So, pause/unpause don't help.) I've found I have to switch to something else (I use Slacker, but radio also works) and right back to the phone - then BOOM the sound is audible.

Hey man, old post but I have this same stupid problem. I've found the fastest way to get sound back (till i figure out what the ACTUAL problem is) is to hit "voice" then click back... so basically the two buttons on the right side of the wheel, it clicks the speakers on for the "ready to talk" ding, then just exit it. BOOM music.

Firmware Version?
Same version here but iOS still starts audio without asking. I think the phone has a lot to do with it since this is also true on my Toyota, and there are complaints in those formums as well. I was hoping Tesla could do better. There is a car-level issue as was well—this just happened: I had the radio on, turned it off with the scroll wheel, got out of the car, got back in the car, and the radio started playing. Off means off.

Same version here but iOS still starts audio without asking. I think the phone has a lot to do with it since this is also true on my Toyota, and there are complaints in those formums as well. I was hoping Tesla could do better. There is a car-level issue as was well—this just happened: I had the radio on, turned it off with the scroll wheel, got out of the car, got back in the car, and the radio started playing. Off means off.

Maybe they're testing a fix in Model S before they roll it out to Model X?

Other than that, I can't explain why it's been working for me. I've done no phone updates. In fact I avoid phone updates as much as possible because new versions of things on phones tend to be bigger and slower or even stop working. It used to happen with both phone music player and phone audio book player, but now it doesn't happen with either. I've rebooted the phone and the car. It could be iPhone vs Android but it seems at least Tesla has fixed it in one case. Hopefully they're working to fix it everywhere.

Try rebooting your car (hold scroll wheels till center screen restarts, then hold the upper buttons till steering wheel screen restarts) in case that might apply a change.