Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to disable vehicle charging during grid outage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new powerwall and solar: I searched the forums, I couldn't find an updated answer (10/2022) to this: how to disable vehicle charging during grid outage? Searching the internet it seems like it should be under settings for the solar but I see no such options even though 2 tesla vehicles are also in the account. Did they remove the option?

Hi, new powerwall and solar: I searched the forums, I couldn't find an updated answer (10/2022) to this: how to disable vehicle charging during grid outage? Searching the internet it seems like it should be under settings for the solar but I see no such options even though 2 tesla vehicles are also in the account. Did they remove the option?

Its under Settings -->EV Charging, however, its very (very) common for certain options to not be there in the tesla app on new installs. It can take a week to ten days sometimes for all options to show up in your tesl account.

The setting I am referring to above doesnt disable charging the car when off grid per se, it sets a limit on how far the car can drain the powerwalls to charge during an outage. Pretty much the same thing, but its not a "yes / no charge the car during outage" setting, its a "save this percentage of power for home use during power outage" setting.

D2D521A0-7845-47AB-A8B9-057AE799FCD1.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
You can't actual set this to 100% as the highest value allowed is 95%. No idea why this is the maximum limit. My only thought is that it would allow more usage of solar during an outage when the Powerwalls get to 100% and the PV would need to be shutdown, so this would increase the load.
I have a suspicion this is done with a frequency shift. The frequency shift to get the solar to back off would conflict with the frequency shift to turn off charging if this were the case. The reason I think this is because the API on the Powerwall reports a "freq_shift_load_shed_soe" value that's the same as the cutoff I set with a "freq_shift_load_shed_delta_f" set to -0.32. The frequency shift for solar curtailment is in the positive direction.

so weird - I have the same settings menu but the EV charging option is missing? Maybe since I don't have PTO yet there's something on Tesla's side they have to activate for this feature? But everything else seems to be fully functional.

Its under Settings -->EV Charging, however, its very (very) common for certain options to not be there in the tesla app on new installs. It can take a week to ten days sometimes for all options to show up in your tesl account.

The setting I am referring to above doesnt disable charging the car when off grid per se, it sets a limit on how far the car can drain the powerwalls to charge during an outage. Pretty much the same thing, but its not a "yes / no charge the car during outage" setting, its a "save this percentage of power for home use during power outage" setting.
Thanks!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a suspicion this is done with a frequency shift. The frequency shift to get the solar to back off would conflict with the frequency shift to turn off charging if this were the case. The reason I think this is because the API on the Powerwall reports a "freq_shift_load_shed_soe" value that's the same as the cutoff I set with a "freq_shift_load_shed_delta_f" set to -0.32. The frequency shift for solar curtailment is in the positive direction.
Interesting, where did you find information that a frequency shift controls the EV charging rate? The closest that I can find is this statement:
Tesla vehicles charging from your Powerwall during a power outage do not need to be connected to your Tesla Account, and no internet connection is necessary to support this charging feature.
This implies that something else is in play other than control from a Tesla server. The supported list includes the Powerwall, App, and Model 3/Y/S/X, but the wall chargers are not listed, so it must be something between the Powerwall and Tesla EV. The frequency seems to be a strange choice.

Interesting, where did you find information that a frequency shift controls the EV charging rate? The closest that I can find is this statement:
I didn't find an explicit statement, but if you access the local API at <powerwall ip>/api/operation, this is an example of the response:
JSON:
{
"real_mode": "autonomous",
"backup_reserve_percent": 36.349999999999994,
"freq_shift_load_shed_soe": 90,
"freq_shift_load_shed_delta_f": -0.32
}
The "freq_shift_load_shed_soe" reflects the setting for off-grid EV charging cut-off. I changed the value in the app to 85, and it was reflected here. My inference is the way the Powerwalls control EV charging is through a frequency shift.

Also, I think the frequency shift is an easy, low-tech way for them to do this control since they already use frequency shifting to control PV generation.