Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to display both percentage and miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Just multiply the % (as a whole number) by 3.1 (if 310mi max) to get miles. Or by 3 to be conservative.

Besides miles is not as accurate as %. It’s an assumption.

An ICE shows a gas gauge as a visual %, not miles (new cars also offer a distance as an educated guess based on previous avg MPG), but you naturally learn about how far you can drive before a fill up. Same idea here.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
We don't have any miles in Canada, so I leave everything on % as a habit and prefer it actually.

The only time I really care about distance remaining estimates is on road trips, that's when I use the energy app's trip display with a navigated destination dialed in. This display shows all the breakdown necessary to alleviate range anxiety w.r.t battery level and distance remaining with a burn-down graph and everything.

Or if you do really like to see range estimates showing as distance as well as %, you can set the displays for distance and when you do a nav to destination you'll always see % remaining at the bottom of the turn-by-turn listing. So can sorta have range and % at the same time.

Also, you can eyeball % pretty easily by looking at the battery charge app (lightning bolt) that brings up the car with big green battery showing. I bet you can guess to nearest 10% just glancing at it.

Other hints, when you tip under < 20% all battery displays flip to yellow instead of green. Then when you tip under, what is it 10%? the battery shows as red. (I never go there.)

Another thing.. get to know your car. My car is rated at about 400km for full charge. So I know each 1% is good for about 4km distance when driving in a rated way. It's pretty easy math to glance at % and multiply by 4 to estimate distance remaining. But I almost never do the mental math..

Once you live in a % world you leave behind a lot of worry. For example, my car still charges to 100% if I want and that's what I see. I don't see or worry about degraded battery, or think about "only getting 96%" of my original capacity. Which you are constantly reminded of if you choose to display distance... reduced range over time.

Last edited:
My BMW is able to display the remaining miles and battery percentage on the dash at the same time. I can't figure out how to do this on my Tesla. Is there a way to display both at the same time?
Yes there is. I have it set up to display the percentage on the instrument cluster, then on the centre screen, constantly show the graph app which shows you range on the right hand side. Best of both worlds. :)

Yes there is. I have it set up to display the percentage on the instrument cluster, then on the centre screen, constantly show the graph app which shows you range on the right hand side. Best of both worlds. :)

That's how I've been doing it too, but it would have been nice if both can be displayed at the instrument cluster. I guess I was spoiled with the BMW.

It's amazing how much more efficient the BMW is. It's somewhere around 25% more efficient with my driving.

Besides miles is not as accurate as %. It’s an assumption.

Accuracy between the two... well, that depends on how you define it. But precision, on the other hand, is definitely better when you choose to display in miles (or km). The granularity of your battery energy readout is 1/3xx miles or 1/5xx km. Percentage only gives you 1/100 granularity.

Nerp. Miles and percentage are different representations of the exact same data and one is precisely as accurate as the other.

"Precisely as accurate"... :)

Nerp. Miles and percentage are different representations of the exact same data and one is precisely as accurate as the other.
% is based on the battery alone. If I have 100% charge, that doesn’t mean I can actually travel 310 miles. There are external factors that will reduce my efficiency.

Your driving style and geography need to be taken into account.

I believe the Nav’s battery on arrival is a more real time guesstimate.

OP, I didn’t realize I was in the Model S forum where you gave two screens and can display both miles and %.

% is based on the battery alone. If I have 100% charge, that doesn’t mean I can actually travel 310 miles. There are external factors that will reduce my efficiency.

Agreed

OP, I didn’t realize I was in the Model S forum where you gave two screens and can display both miles and %.

Yet another advantage of the Model S vs Model 3.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Exactly the same with miles remaining.
With either measure, in exactly the same way.

Agree, that is a forecast, not a real-time representation of measured energy in the battery.

@ucmndd I don’t see how they are the same.

% is the actual amount of usable battery.

Miles is an assumption based on EPA figures. It is not impacted by your previous efficiency.

This is the same as having half a tank of gas, it’s actually there, and the car calculating how far it should be able to travel.

They are different representations of the exact same data.

Percentage remaining = estimated available energy divided by estimated max battery capacity

Miles remaining = estimated available energy divided by a wh/mi constant

They’re both directly derived from how much energy the BMS thinks is available in the battery at any given time.

Reactions: GeoX750

% is the actual amount of usable battery.

Miles is an assumption based on EPA figures. It is not impacted by your previous efficiency.

This is the same as having half a tank of gas, it’s actually there, and the car calculating how far it should be able to travel.

Battery % takes the remaining capacity of the battery and presents it per 100

Rated miles takes the remaining capacity of the battery and presents it per 310 (in your case).

It's the same source data, they're both just as acurate as they other. Rated miles is more granular. Rated miles does not equal actual miles, but so what? Percentage doesn't equal actual miles either.