Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to do peak past midnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Cost Savings because the description said to use to Maximize savings and that is what I want to do. I don't know how Balanced treats the price schedule settings.
I agree gas counts and I also have wood. I don't use gas much, mostly when the heat pump can't recover from the setback when it is very cold or the unit goes into a defrost cycle. I mostly use the wood for the comfort of the radiant heat. I have more trees than I can keep up with.
My point is once the system is installed (with the plan being $0 true-up) you already have the sunk costs. If you are overshooting $0 true-up then the small amount you are reimbursed per kWh doesn't seem worth it and I might as well save the battery cycle life.
Totally agree on true up. But I have a few hopes. First, I have enough that I can cool the house more this winter, and heat it warmer next year. And if I were to ever get an EV, or a friend comes over, I might be ready to charge, or at least might be a good sales point. So I think I can easily use whatever I produce!!

I used Cost Savings because the description said to use to Maximize savings and that is what I want to do. I don't know how Balanced treats the price schedule settings.
I agree gas counts and I also have wood. I don't use gas much, mostly when the heat pump can't recover from the setback when it is very cold or the unit goes into a defrost cycle. I mostly use the wood for the comfort of the radiant heat. I have more trees than I can keep up with.
My point is once the system is installed (with the plan being $0 true-up) you already have the sunk costs. If you are overshooting $0 true-up then the small amount you are reimbursed per kWh doesn't seem worth it and I might as well save the battery cycle life.
Every utility doesn't have a true-up. Ours lets us bank credits indefinitely. We had 4000 kWh surplus credits last year which we rolled over from month to month, allowing us to cover the winter grid usage with summer production.

Also, the Powerwalls are guaranteed for unlimited cycles over 10 years when connected to the grid.

Lol I was hoping the solution would be changing your time zone to Hawaii or something cool involving adding more disconnects.

I just noticed that you changed your profile pic to a disconnect, 🤣🤣🤣. I just picture you waking up from a nightmare, and your significant other saying "honey, whats wrong?", with your response being "......the disconnects..... the disconnects......... the DISCCONNECTS!!!!!" and running screaming out the room.😁

Every utility doesn't have a true-up. Ours lets us bank credits indefinitely. We had 4000 kWh surplus credits last year which we rolled over from month to month, allowing us to cover the winter grid usage with summer production.

Also, the Powerwalls are guaranteed for unlimited cycles over 10 years when connected to the grid.
You're lucky about the true up but it isn't like that in California.
The cycles aren't guaranteed to 100%. I think they are guaranteed to 70% of their rated capacity for 10 years. I'm hoping to be able to use my Powerwalls long after the 10 year warranty. The main thing I wanted them for was backup during an outage.

I just noticed that you changed your profile pic to a disconnect, 🤣🤣🤣. I just picture you waking up from a nightmare, and your significant other saying "honey, whats wrong?", with your response being "......the disconnects..... the disconnects......... the DISCCONNECTS!!!!!" and running screaming out the room.😁

Haha no joke, I've had a dream where I was messing with a blade disconnect and getting frustrated because nothing was happening.

My wife is annoyed by the blade disconnects because they're kind of ugly, but she doesn't care as much as I care. My Boomer neighbor really wants to pull the 200A one on the side of my house though; it faces his front door and he can basically reach over his fence grab the handle. He says it'll be a good test of the Powerwalls.

I really wanted to find a picture of a wall full of disconnects - but all I have is @h2ofun 's picture of his vertically mounted disconnects. I hope he Photoshops a picture of himself with 7 arms pulling all 7 of his blade disconnects at the same time.

Last edited:
Currently I have my batteries set for advanced balanced peak 3 pm to 11:50pm, and non peak from 12anm to 3pm..
Is there a way to extend the peak into the AM morning. Meaning, I want to run off grid for as long as I can per day.
Yes, the UI is a little counter intuitive. What you need to scroll the "end" time for the peak to the left. I've attached an screenshot as example.

I recommend that you spend a couple of weeks with "balanced". Set your reserve to what you want. Set your peak times correctly and stop touching the controls for those two weeks. The system should try to have enough juice to cover your peak usage. Then if if there still energy left and it thinks it can refill that energy with upcoming solar it will also discharge during off peak down to your reserve.

Screenshot_20210311-212654.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes, the UI is a little counter intuitive. What you need to scroll the "end" time for the peak to the left. I've attached an screenshot as example.

I recommend that you spend a couple of weeks with "balanced". Set your reserve to what you want. Set your peak times correctly and stop touching the controls for those two weeks. The system should try to have enough juice to cover your peak usage. Then if if there still energy left and it thinks it can refill that energy with upcoming solar it will also discharge during off peak down to your reserve.

View attachment 643738
Thanks, allowed me to figure out how to get the peak on other side. Needed some of the shoulder to have shown up first.