TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to easily get bugs off paint?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Jess, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jess

Jess Member

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or not, but I'm having a hard time getting the dead bug marks off the paint armor part of my car. I wash with Griots soap & sheepskin mitt. This alone isn't getting the marks off-even with some elbow grease. Anybody find a product that works?

2. 7racer

7racer Member

pretty easy...

clay bar if they are really stuck on.

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

Easier to remove if they are still fresh. More difficult if they have been allowed to dry over several days.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I just drench the area in waterless wash, keep it wet for half an hour (reapply as necessary), and then just wipe off the bugs with microfiber. They come off really easily after a good soak. I have CQuartz Finest on my car, so that might make a difference.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Basically:

- Fresh is best. Carry a bottle of paint armour cleaner and use it after every infestation.
    - Clay bars are not good for paint armour (that's what I was told by the installer).
    - Soaking helps, so go around first and spray them, and then go back, spray again, and wipe off. Sometimes several cycles are needed.
    - Keep the paint armour sealed with the product made for your particular paint armour. That helps keep the bugs from sticking.

6. BobHodgen

BobHodgen Member

Wet a microfiber cloth in a bucket of hot water. Fold into quarters and lay the wet cloth over the bug splat. Give it a minute or two and the bug splat will come off without scrubbing. This re hydrates the bug juice and makes it wipe right off.

Works great with Florida's love bugs.

7. Jess

Jess Member

Thanks everybody. The bugs are dried on. I don't have time to spray them everyday, so I will try the soaking them in hot water idea.

8. tliving

tliving Member

9. 7racer

7racer Member

this is an auto detailing forum...claybar totally safe. If you never used one before google. It's really easy, just need to know the basics on how it works.
    Clay Bar on Ventureshield Clear Bra? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

10. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

To get current bugs off, simply wash it and gently rub a little more where bugs are.

To prevent future bugs sticking, put on a quality wax or nano coating. The simplest thing to do is use CQuartz Relaod 1x-2x per month. Wash and dry as usual. Then apply reload like you would a spray wax. A little of the stuff goes a long way.

This should help make things a lot easier.

11. First Impression

First Impression Local Vendor - Florida

Serving Tampa, Sarasota & Southwest Florida
    Exactly how Bob Hodgen explained it..You MUST rehydrate the bug splatter do reduce the need of scrubbing the surface, eliminating the risk of introducing scratches to the paintwork. Hot or warm water are key (whenever possible)

12. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

#12 K5ING, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    I have a pilot friend who uses the wet cloth technique on his Beechcraft Debonaire's plastic windshield. He just soaks a bath towel in warm soapy water and lays it over his windshield (and elsewhere as needed) for about 20 minutes. Bugs come right off.