Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to edit ordered vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
So, I ordered my Model S on Friday... and of course I want to make some changes. My wife has convinced me to change color :wink:.

My order confirmation email states:

"We'll release your Model S to the factory in two weeks. Until then, you can make any changes you like."

The email also contains a big "Edit Design" button. Clicking that button takes me to the "My Tesla" page on their website. There I can view my ordered car, but can't see any way to actually edit it. If I scroll down, I see the saved design I used to configure the car I ordered, but if I make changes there, I'm simply prompted to place another order.

I sent Tesla a note regarding this via their customer service page, but no response yet...

So... how do I actually make changes prior to my car being released to the factory?

Thanks.

-sc

Last edited:
Call their reservations number, sometimes the reservation link to edit bugs out and they have to "activate it" You can most definitely change it if it hasn't been submitted to the factory yet (I changed mine about 90 times).

When you go to your reservation page there should be a big button that says 'DESIGN' and it loads up your configuration where you can change options.

My order confirmation email states:

"We'll release your Model S to the factory in two weeks. Until then, you can make any changes you like. We'll release your Model S to the factory in two weeks. Until then, you can make any changes you like."

Huh. That's new. To me at least.

I made a change a few weeks ago to my configuration (added twin chargers). I just emailed Tesla and they called me back that very day.

I may be overstepping, so please say so but I have to ask...

Are you sure she's going to let you drive it after the first week? Sounds like she already taking a shine to it.

Hehe.. you may be on to something... I originally was going to forego the pano roof, but she said "Really? It would be great on a summer day to take it to go wine tasting!"... and she also convinced me that we should go leather seats. Although she did put it a little more slyly: "I may have to borrow it on occasion." :)

As for my original issue... thanks for the folks that suggested I contact Tesla regarding not being able to edit the design. It took them a bit to get back to me, but they did fix the issue. Gonna go to the DC showroom this weekend and hopefully settle on a color...

-sc