Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to enable stormwatch only during off peak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I'd rather run out of power and be the in the dark than pay for grid charging my PWs during peak time. I can't believe there's no way to enable stormwatch only during off peak. Guess I'm going to have to run a chron job to poke the API for stormwatch on and off around off peak.

We get completely free power between 9PM and 9AM each day - and pay higher (than fixed price) rates between 9AM to 9PM.

If Stormwatch is triggered during the daytime, then we're paying for all of the electricity charging the 4 PowerWalls (assuming they were each at 35% charge to get started - that's about 32 KWh of energy - or about $5 at the rates we're paying).

If I notice this is happening and the event (such as a hurricane) won't happen any earlier than the next daytime, I will manually turn off Storm Watch and then turn it back on after 9PM.

However, since this only happens in very rare cases - such as a hurricane or recently during a possible Texas winter storm, having to pay to fully charge the PowerWalls doesn't have a huge impact on our electricity bill.

Though once the PowerWalls are full, during the daytime (if there's sun) we'll be sending all excess solar power back to the grid - and under our plan, we don't get any credit for that...

Again, that won't have a huge impact on the bill for a day or two - and probably better not to worry about that - and instead focus on preparing for the storm...

I just disabled stormwatch recently. I sorta base my reserve on how sunny the next day is and if it's sunny, but windy (causing the stormwatch), even with a power outage, the battery will still recharge and power isn't an issue I've felt.

It's micromanaging the reserve daily though, but after the winter months, shouldn't be an issue I feel...