TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How to ensure/block access to the car when changing owner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Testwa, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Testwa

Testwa Member

Some questions around changing owner to ensure that the old owner has no access any longer after the car being sold:
    1. Is it possible that more than one user can remotely control the car? If so, is it controlled via the same account or has any individual it's own account?
    2. Also related to first question what has to be checked or done from new owner to ensure that none of the previous owners or users have access to the car any longer? Especially in case when the used car is handed over from private owner directly and not managed by a dealer or Tesla (who might take care of this already).
    3. Where is that managed? Website, App or in-car?

2. tpham07

tpham07 Member

You notify Tesla when you sell your car, so the old mytesla account is no longer associated with that VIN. Therefore when you log into the app, nothing will happen.

3. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

Tesla won't change ownership on the mytesla account until you provide proof of ownership and they can process the request. Depending on how long the bank takes to transfer title, that can be several weeks. In the meantime, you can turn off remote access in the car and it will not allow the previous owner to control the car etc. If you purchase a vehicle from someone who financed through Tesla when they were doing business with TD Finance, the transfer process can take an extremely long time......

• Helpful x 1
  4. whitex

whitex Active Member

Once the car is registered in your name, Tesla should be able to transfer the car to you. If the previous owner does not have another Tesla, maybe you can ask them to give you control of their account (change the name, address email, etc all to yours) and you just set it up as yours?

5. BrettS

BrettS Member

#5 BrettS, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    I recently went through this as I bought a model S from a private owner a few months ago. The first thing you want to do is to have the original owner do a factory reset on the car (Click on Controls, then Settings, then Service and Reset, then click Erase and Reset). This will remove any of his customizations and set the car back to the defaults. The original owner needs to do this, though, as you need to enter the current mytesla email and password to do so. (If the original owner refuses to do so for some reason or it’s too late then you can do it after the car has been transferred to your name, but you will have to wait for that)

Once you have the car in your posssion you can turn off mobile access (Click on Controls, then Settings, then Safety and Security, then turn off Mobile Access), although I think if you do the factory reset above then it defaults to off, but probably worth checking to be sure. This will ensure that the previous owner can’t access the car remotely with his app while you’re waiting for it to be transferred.

Finally, you can submit the ownership transfer request to Tesla. They will require a copy of the car’s registration in your name and a copy of your driver’s license. You can call the 800 number to get the process started and they can tell you how to submit the documentation. You do need to have the car registered in your name, but a temporary registration is acceptable. In my case in florida, I wound up waiting about a month and a half for all the title work to be done so I could do the permenant registration, but I was able to get a temporary registration and a temporary paper tag on the day I bought the car. Tesla had no problem with that for the transfer of ownership and it took about 3 days after I submitted the paperwork before the car appeared in my MyTesla account and I could control it with the app.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1