TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to Enter and Exit a Model S to Avoid Seat Damage or if you have a bad back...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bareyb, Oct 29, 2013.

1. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#1 bareyb, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Hi Gang,
    Just a public service announcement for those of you who are experiencing premature seat pillar wear from sliding across them when you get into your car (see pic). This is also extremely helpful if you have a bad back as I often do. I actually discovered this method after my back surgery a number of years ago when I had a Corvette. It'll help keep those pesky scuff marks from your shoes off the door sills too. It's a win-win-win!

Anyway, it's been a lifesaver for me when my back hurts and it's got the added benefit of saving wear and tear on your seats and seat pillars. Hopefully it may help some other folks too. Here it is: :)

1. Turn your back to the open door and sit your butt in the driver's seat sideways leaving both feet planted firmly on the ground outside the car.

2. Then lift your feet up and over the door sill, and swivel around in the seat until you are facing front.

3. You get out of the car the same way, only in reverse (swivel sideways, place feet on ground outside the car and stand straight up).

4. Voila! Try it. You'll like it. You'll never go back to the old ways again. :D

seatdamage.PNG

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Oddly enough when my back was acting up a couple of months ago I started doing exactly the same thing. I fiddled with the seat adjustments for two weeks and finally found a position that I don't actually find comfortable but for some reason doesn't irritate my back. Then I found it was easier to get in and out if I did what you describe.

Doesn't work in the Roadster though...

3. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

#3 palmer_md, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I'm not sure if this method is of any use in a Model S.

4. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Saw a showroom car (Seattle Westlake, last Spring) that had incredibly severe wear on the B pillar cylindrical fabric. The pillar location vs seat location is definitely nonstandard for many people.

5. spentan

spentan Active Member

#5 spentan, Oct 29, 2013
    Lol, I'm 6ft9in tall and 180kg and this is exactly how I get in and out of the model s (and other cars).

6. No Tailpipe

No Tailpipe Member

#6 No Tailpipe, Oct 30, 2013
    Tesla is a company that thinks of everything. I thought the video was going to be a joke.
    But, its actually a public service announcement from Tesla for T A L L people. :)

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> 1. Turn your back to the door and sit your butt in the driver's seat sideways leaving both feet planted firmly on the ground outside the car. [bareby]

You mean 'back to the seat' I'm sure, as I do this myself.

Add step: Kick shoes together to remove as much mud, snow, sand, gravel, etc before hoisting clods into car.
    --

8. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I wonder if there is a stylish cover you could put on that. Something like a dark hard plastic that dresses the area so that it won't wear... that would be nice.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#9 Gizmotoy, Oct 30, 2013
    I had the chance to take a really close look at a Roadster a few weeks ago. I'm 6'3", and my first thought was "How in the hell would I get into that thing, and would my head stick out the roof like it does in a Miata." I'm surprised that the answers were "It's actually possible" and "No." Thanks for posting that.

10. RoverS

RoverS Banned

i don't know about a bad back.... but i did injure my left hip joint pretty bad getting into my car two weeks ago. there's a weird twisting motion i have to do once my right leg is lifted and sliding in. and a couple weeks ago it tweaked my left hip flexor.

i limped for like 5 days. :redface:

11. Crispix

Crispix Member

This thread is depressing. Aching backs and hips? By the time we had enough money to afford a Tesla, we were too old too look cool in it.

12. GDH

GDH Banned

I am 42 and have a bad back.

The car I bought of the store floor had this same issue because of so many people getting in and out of it. Tesla is replacing the pillar.