Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Enter and Exit a Model S to Avoid Seat Damage or if you have a bad back...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gang,
Just a public service announcement for those of you who are experiencing premature seat pillar wear from sliding across them when you get into your car (see pic). This is also extremely helpful if you have a bad back as I often do. I actually discovered this method after my back surgery a number of years ago when I had a Corvette. It'll help keep those pesky scuff marks from your shoes off the door sills too. It's a win-win-win!

Anyway, it's been a lifesaver for me when my back hurts and it's got the added benefit of saving wear and tear on your seats and seat pillars. Hopefully it may help some other folks too. Here it is: :)

1. Turn your back to the open door and sit your butt in the driver's seat sideways leaving both feet planted firmly on the ground outside the car.

2. Then lift your feet up and over the door sill, and swivel around in the seat until you are facing front.

3. You get out of the car the same way, only in reverse (swivel sideways, place feet on ground outside the car and stand straight up).

4. Voila! Try it. You'll like it. You'll never go back to the old ways again. :D

seatdamage.PNG

Last edited:
Oddly enough when my back was acting up a couple of months ago I started doing exactly the same thing. I fiddled with the seat adjustments for two weeks and finally found a position that I don't actually find comfortable but for some reason doesn't irritate my back. Then I found it was easier to get in and out if I did what you describe.

Doesn't work in the Roadster though...

> 1. Turn your back to the door and sit your butt in the driver's seat sideways leaving both feet planted firmly on the ground outside the car. [bareby]

You mean 'back to the seat' I'm sure, as I do this myself.

Add step: Kick shoes together to remove as much mud, snow, sand, gravel, etc before hoisting clods into car.
--

I'm not sure if this method is of any use in a Model S.

I had the chance to take a really close look at a Roadster a few weeks ago. I'm 6'3", and my first thought was "How in the hell would I get into that thing, and would my head stick out the roof like it does in a Miata." I'm surprised that the answers were "It's actually possible" and "No." Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know about a bad back.... but i did injure my left hip joint pretty bad getting into my car two weeks ago. there's a weird twisting motion i have to do once my right leg is lifted and sliding in. and a couple weeks ago it tweaked my left hip flexor.

i limped for like 5 days. :redface: