Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to file complaint against specific employee?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early adopter here, Model S VIN is under 60000. My MCU failed Saturday night and so I discovered the fatal flaw in Tesla’s “do everything from the app” strategy. I called roadside assistance to try and schedule an appointment and was told I would have to wait until Monday to call the car support line. This morning I called and was told that because my husband’s name is on the account, they couldn’t do anything for me over the phone.

Wtf?? I added my name to the account and was told they wouldn’t be able to see it on their end any time soon. I’m not asking for a remote unlock or remote start. I just wanted to make a service appointment so I asked her... even if I’m a scammer, what’s the worst that could happen if she made me an appointment and I was told “Well you could be stealing the car.” I didn’t realize how far the service quality had fallen since I haven’t used roadside assistance since 2016 but this level of stupidity and lack of common sense is just baffling.
Is there a number or email I can use to file a complaint against this employee?

You book all service appointments and roadside assistance through the app as that gives you extreme flexibility to add photos, PDF documents and pick the date/time right there on the screen. They triage all tickets and then contact you to let you know if it can be addressed by mobile service and if not, they will help schedule a service center appointment.

Sounds like your failed MCU will result in a refurbished one that you'll need to pay out of pockets or wait until the Infotainment Upgrade for $2500 becomes available for your VIN

Infotainment Upgrade

To verify if you have been added, you can also log into the Tesla web site and check to see if your name/email has been added as a alternate driver.

Reactions: Watts_Up
You book all service appointments and roadside assistance through the app as that gives you extreme flexibility to add photos, PDF documents and pick the date/time right there on the screen. They triage all tickets and then contact you to let you know if it can be addressed by mobile service and if not, they will help schedule a service center appointment.

Sounds like your failed MCU will result in a refurbished one that you'll need to pay out of pockets or wait until the Infotainment Upgrade for $2500 becomes available for your VIN

Infotainment Upgrade

To verify if you have been added, you can also log into the Tesla web site and check to see if your name/email has been added as a alternate driver.

I did add my name and offered to screenshot the account and email it to verify I had been added but the customer service rep wanted nothing to do with it and refused to work with me at all.

You can’t book anything through the app once your MCU fails bc it won’t connect to your car anymore.

sorry I didn’t realize that wanting to book a service appointment without having my husband approve of it makes me a Karen. I guess I’m just lucky it didn’t brick on the side of the road with my kids in the car.

Brick is not an appropriate term as you used it.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
You can’t book anything through the app once your MCU fails bc it won’t connect to your car anymore.

sorry I didn’t realize that wanting to book a service appointment without having my husband approve of it makes me a Karen. I guess I’m just lucky it didn’t brick on the side of the road with my kids in the car.

Ignore these Tesla fanboys. You haven't done anything wrong. I'd be pissed too if my wife tried to book service while I was away for work and got denied. That makes no sense.

I know you used to be able to book service through the website, but I just looked and can't find it anymore, which is ridiculous.

Tesla has become absolutely terrible when it comes to service, and I doubt complaining will really change anything, unfortunately.

What do you hope to accomplish by filing a complaint against a front-line employee that's just doing what the company told them to? They're not empowered to do anything for you. That's the actual problem.
What are my other options? I will file a complaint with the NHTSA about the actual MCU failure but what is the customer recourse for poor customer service? There’s no post call survey offered and I believe it was this specific employee who lacked common sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
What are my other options? I will file a complaint with the NHTSA about the actual MCU failure but what is the customer recourse for poor customer service? There’s no post call survey offered and I believe it was this specific employee who lacked common sense.
The NHTSA complaint will help everyone, so thank you. Unfortunately, service isn’t Tesla’s strong point, heck, not even a point. I wish it was simple, but you probably just need to HUCA (hang up call again) until someone will help.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Chaserr
It's definitely the one thing I miss about BMW, and even Ford, the makes of my two previous cars before my Teslas. They were generally always available to pick up the phone, and could usually arrange something in a shorter time frame than Tesla can, and generally provided better service, including loaners. Seems Tesla has been on a "cost-optimization" strategy for while now (nice euphemism for what it means for customers). But with the price cuts in Model S, so too has the presige and related perks of owning one been cut as well. We are now relegated to the "masses" regardless of whether we own an S or a 3. Maybe there will be a special direct phone line only for Roadster 2.0 owners?

I just picked up a brand new Tesla on Saturday, btw, to find a roughly 2 square foot patch of roughness in the paint on the left side of hte rear bumper. Nothing they could buff out with the tools they have there, and the soonest I could get an appointment through the app was a week away. I could not believe the issue passed QC. And even when I take the car in I'm not sure how I'm gonna get home. Ubers are off limit in my family due to Covid, So I guess my significant other is gonna have to drive 30 minutes behind me to take me home, and then back to the service center when it's complete. For a brand new car!

And regarding loaners, I'm shocked they cannot make that work. They are spending probably on average $100+ per service appointment for ubers, how can they not do it more efficiently with a fleet of base model 3s?

Anyway, regardless, I do think it's important to get all relevant names added to the account asap after purchasing. That's the main lesson I'm getting here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cerie
Tesla does make it easy for me to assign my wife as a point of contact - and now as a driver as well. So her app with her own login now finally links to my car with all the attached benefits the mobile app provides.

I think I could hit the roadside assistance button even if the connection to the car never completes.

I will say - if this had happened to my wife, I would have received a text/call from her asking for me to resolve this issue ASAP. I hope you get a resolution soon.

You can’t choose service from the app if your car doesn’t connect?

im able to. (Sometimes my car doesn’t connect due to weak signal.)

Yes the menu items are dimmed but I can still choose service. But I haven’t actually gone through the entire scheduling of service when it was “dimmed”. Maybe a later step stops you.

Imgur
You can’t choose service from the app if your car doesn’t connect?

im able to. (Sometimes my car doesn’t connect due to weak signal.)

Yes the menu items are dimmed but I can still choose service. But I haven’t actually gone through the entire scheduling of service when it was “dimmed”. Maybe a later step stops you.
Nope the only thing on my app is a grey out picture of my car with a white bar on the bottom that says connecting... I can look at the app settings menu which has Inbox, Loot Box and Notifications.

What do you hope to accomplish by filing a complaint against a front-line employee that's just doing what the company told them to? They're not empowered to do anything for you. That's the actual problem.

That's not true. I've received help without having to prove my ownership. I would hope my wife would if needed (granted her name is on the owner docs too).

They easily could've used other info to establish it wasn't theft. They just were defaulting to being useless.

Reactions: Cheburashka