Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to finance 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With interest rates so low plus the benefit of gap insurance, I'm inclined to finance 100%. One thing - what about the $5000 nonrefundable deposit?

Has anyone financed the whole amount? Did you give Tesla a bank check for the whole amount and later receive a refund from Tesla of your $5000 deposit?

UPDATED: I ended up doing exactly this and it worked out fine. I gave Tesla a bank check for the whole amount and about 4 weeks later received a check back from Tesla for the $5000 deposit.

Last edited:
With interest rates so low plus the benefit of gap insurance, I'm inclined to finance 100%. One thing - what about the $5000 nonrefundable deposit?
Has anyone financed the whole amount? Did you give Tesla a bank check for the whole amount and later receive a refund from Tesla of your $5000 deposit?
Who would loan 100%? On an S? Where's the collateral? I wouldn't (loan anyone 100%)!

I have not completed my purchase yet, but spoke to USAA a few weeks ago about financing post-sale. At the time I was a possible end-of-2012 delivery candidate and so was investigating whether I could pay cash for the car and then finance at a later date to avoid the financing holding up my 2012 delivery.

Anyway, USAA told me that they will finance any new car at 100% of sale price, whether at the time of sale or anytime afterwards, so long as it was a current model year car (that means any 2012 or 2013 car today). BUT, the caveat is that the financing amount was 100% of the purchase price before taxes, not after.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union will finance 100% up to $70k at 1.49%.
First Tech Credit Union will finance 100% up to $75k at 1.9%.
Navy Federal Credit Union will finance 100% no limit at 1.79%.
These are all for 5 years.

Seems risky on the part of the lenders. I wonder if they require you to maintain some sort of full replacement cost insurance? Otherwise, you crack it up, walk away and the Bank loses out.

Seems risky on the part of the lenders. I wonder if they require you to maintain some sort of full replacement cost insurance? Otherwise, you crack it up, walk away and the Bank loses out.

They offer low cost gap insurance, which I will be taking them up on, but it's not required.

Membership and lending requirements (credit score, debt-to-income ratio) are pretty tight. I don't think they're just giving out free money to anyone who walks up and asks for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting back OT, has anyone given Tesla a bank check for the full amount, including the deposit amount? Any issues getting the bank to issue the full amount given your MVPA shows an final amount due less the $5000 deposit?

Borrowing $100,000 at 1.79% would be $1750 a month, and a total of $4600 in interest over 5 years. I'm likely to see a considerably higher rate of return keeping the money invested.

Also, keeping funds liquid and at hand, as well as the benefit of gap insurance, are two extra pluses in my book.

When interest rates on loans are higher than my risk tolerant rate of investment return, I pay cash and aggressively pay down debt. When they are lower, like now, I borrow. Finances are definitely a personal matter. This is a strategy that has worked well for me. To each his own.

Ok, I can finally answer my question definitively now that I've gone through this whole process.

Short answer: Yes, you can finance 100%, give Tesla a check for the full amount, and they'll send you a check back for the $5000 deposit.

It took about 4 weeks to get the check back. Might be because no one else has done this yet, or not very often, or maybe their finance department is just slow about it. Hopefully that part will get faster with time.

100% Financing for 72 months

Hi,
I'm trying to finance $100K for the car (or slightly less than 100%) for 72-months and am looking to get a loan for <1.99%. Have you done anything similar, or do you have recommendations about which banks to contact?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
I'm trying to finance $100K for the car (or slightly less than 100%) for 72-months and am looking to get a loan for <1.99%. Have you done anything similar, or do you have recommendations about which banks to contact?