Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to find a stealth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worst case, you can buy an AWD and upgrade it later to an AWD NS* for the same amount of money as finding/upgrading to a stealth when purchasing new. Most people seem to love the AWD NS after upgrading! :)

*Neutered Stealth

Worst case, you can buy an AWD and upgrade it later to an AWD NS* for the same amount of money as finding/upgrading to a stealth when purchasing new. Most people seem to love the AWD NS after upgrading! :)

*Neutered Stealth
True. However, one does loose the 980 motor in the rear and a half a second faster 0-60mph acceleration while paying the same price.

True. However, one does loose the 980 motor in the rear and a half a second faster 0-60mph acceleration while paying the same price.

Haha, definitely, hence the neutered portion of the AWD NS, which is also sometimes referred to, incorrectly, as the AWD+. Neutered Stealth has a much better ring to it, imo. :p:D:D

It's a no-brainer to find a real stealth for the exact same amount of money.

If I ran logistics at Tesla I wouldn’t bother making the stealth anymore.

Secret menu stuff is too much overhead for all parties.

Offering the accel boost option on top of a fork in the rear motor should be ending it.

It’s easy to understand right now.
AWD
AWD+
Performance

And no, heartfelt emails complaining to Tesla about aftermarket upgrades, car cosmetics, unsprung weight of 20 inch wheels, unforged wheels etc etc will not be productive.

Companies approaching 3,000 cars per week production isn’t going to play games.

The ship sailed when it was no longer a different software flash to go from awd to p-.

Reactions: house9 and dww12
I am a believer that all AWD LR are stealth capable locked by software and right now we only got a half upgrade to stealth performance levels for $2000; pretty sure Tesla will offer the full unlocking this year for a fee and streamline the production line. The full performance upgrade fee is only justified by the upgraded brakes/spoiler and wheels IMO.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 2xM3
I am a believer that all AWD LR are stealth capable locked by software and right now we only got a half upgrade to stealth performance levels for $2000; pretty sure Tesla will offer the full unlocking this year for a fee and streamline the production line. The full performance upgrade fee is only justified by the upgraded brakes/spoiler and wheels IMO.

No.

AWD LR made in 2018 and a few months into 2019 have matching rear motors as the Perfromance Model 3. That is the 980.

Currently, AWD LR Rear motor is 990 while the Performance continues to be 980.

While Tesla could have offered the full P unlock to -some- AWD LR, it would be a customer relations nightmare to do so.

Thus, the lowest common denominator option, the .5 Acceleration Boost is offered to all AWD regardless of 980 or 990.

• Disagree
Reactions: msee67
No.

AWD LR made in 2018 and a few months into 2019 have matching rear motors as the Perfromance Model 3. That is the 980.

While Tesla could have offered the full P unlock to -some- AWD LR, it would be a customer relations nightmare to do so.

Thus, the lowest common denominator option, the .5 Acceleration Boost is offered to all AWD regardless of 980 or 990.

Possibly in terms of the customer relation for a short period of time and then it’ll be gone. Maybe the 990 is capable of the 980 performance I don’t know? Anyways it might be wishful thinking and I am ok with it :)

• Disagree
Reactions: 2xM3
No.

are we doing this again? Where is @Knightshade ?

I also doubt Tesla will give more power to AWD or even performance model 3.

I believe Tesla will release more stealth and hopefully will make it part of base of performance. And if one wants wheels, brakes, etc pay extra $5K or so for upgrade. This way potential owners don’t have to bother Tesla to hunt for these.

• Funny
Reactions: ZappCatt and anti
Maybe the 990 is capable of the 980 performance I don’t know? Anyways it might be wishful thinking and I am ok with it :)

It's not.

As covered elsewhere if the 990 were capable of P performance then either:

The 990 is capable AND cheaper- in which case they'd use it in the P too- they don't, they still use the 980

or

The 990 is capable AND not NOT cheaper- in which case why use it at all? Just keep the 980 in everything.

We also know from the EPA data the 990 is less efficient than the 980- so again the only reason the 990 would exist is it's significantly cheaper than the 980- in which case we know from the fact it's cheaper and NOT used in the P that it's not capable of P power levels.

Reactions: 2xM3 and MattUNI
It's not.

As covered elsewhere if the 990 were capable of P performance then either:

The 990 is capable AND cheaper- in which case they'd use it in the P too- they don't, they still use the 980

or

The 990 is capable AND not NOT cheaper- in which case why use it at all? Just keep the 980 in everything.

We also know from the EPA data the 990 is less efficient than the 980- so again the only reason the 990 would exist is it's significantly cheaper than the 980- in which case we know from the fact it's cheaper and NOT used in the P that it's not capable of P power levels.

No one wants to hear your well though out and clear logic.

They want to have the ability to tell people that their car is a P but only software locked.

Bra you can remove the 2 x disagree on my posts I don’t know how you can disagree with my wishes, they are just that, wishes and there is no right or wrong.

This isn’t eBay where a thumbs down will affect your account or make any impact on anything.

There is a difference between a wish and a belief that something is true. I disagree with your belief, which is contrary to reality if that makes it clear.

• Disagree
Reactions: DionG
I didn't even know what a stealth Model 3 was until yesterday, and that was also the day I found out my LR AWD was a Stealth. Picked up my new Model 3 September 29, 2018 in Chicagoland area. It was Q3 end and an absolute madhouse. No one from Tesla said a word about Stealth at pick up, service has never indicated I had Stealth and i didn't know it existed until i went to a TMC forum about the Acceleration Boost because it wasn't showing up as a upgrade option in my account. I received the email about the Acceleration Boost in mid December and was excited to purchase. The utter lack of help from Tesla to resolve led me to these forums. Someone asked if I had a red line under the Dual Motor in my app, which I did. They said that meant I had a P, even though I have 18 inch Aeros. I later confirmed with Tesla that my model is a P74 (Performance LR AWD). Best news of the year! I don't need any upgrades because I already have the baddest 3 on the planet!