Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to fit Michelin XT Silicone wiper blades on the 2021 Y's new wiper hardware?

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
One thing I didn't realize was that Tesla updated the 2021 Y's wiper nozzle configuration.

With that said, I recently purchased a set of the silicone Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades which I previously had on my Model 3.
I have taken the wings/tabs off, but I can't get them to fit. Is there any other adapter? Or any other silicone blade brand that is confirmed to work on the very recent 2021 Y's?

Reactions: GeezerSquid

Young Phenom

Mar 21, 2020
Florida
My rain x Enduro ones I had to break a tab off the wiper clip to make it work.

Only took two seconds though once I figured that out. Maybe yours are similar.

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
My rain x Enduro ones I had to break a tab off the wiper clip to make it work.

Only took two seconds though once I figured that out. Maybe yours are similar.
The new Model Y's have a different design.. I think as of around June 2021... They have an extra sprayer that gets in the way vs the pre 6/21 builds.

StanT

Jan 23, 2020
Fishkill
I'm not sure this is the same for everyone, but I bought the Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades for my 2020 MY and the passenger side does not fit. Yes removing the tabs let me put it on the arms (unlike what was discussed above) and they fit on the arms fine... BUT the Michelin wipers make the arm sit higher on the glass- and on the passenger side this means the bend in the arm starts to hit the frunk- now only when its going in and out of its protected area, but still it is going to take the paint off the frunk and arm. But the Michelin Endurance XT does just fine for the driver side, no issues.

Just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking of replacing the passenger side wiper on their MY 2020 with the Michelin.

Reactions: GeezerSquid

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I'm not sure this is the same for everyone, but I bought the Michelin Endurance XT Silicone blades for my 2020 MY and the passenger side does not fit. Yes removing the tabs let me put it on the arms (unlike what was discussed above) and they fit on the arms fine... BUT the Michelin wipers make the arm sit higher on the glass- and on the passenger side this means the bend in the arm starts to hit the frunk- now only when its going in and out of its protected area, but still it is going to take the paint off the frunk and arm. But the Michelin Endurance XT does just fine for the driver side, no issues.

Just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking of replacing the passenger side wiper on their MY 2020 with the Michelin.
I have the same issue with the Duralast Aero blades I just got. Couldn’t figure out what was happening at first.

also, to the OP, even when I broke the wings off if took some finagling to get the adapter to fit in the wiper stalk, so that may be the issue as well. (I have a 2020 so I don’t have the extra nozzle that you have)

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
The adapter fits just fine. It worked flawlessly on my old Model 3. The design is changed and I wonder if Tesla only wants OEM wiper blades to be used for now.

jf64k

May 9, 2020
Los Angeles
What are the OEM blades anyway? Haven’t seen them anywhere. Tesla doesn’t sell them, either.
They sell them...but you have to jump through a hoop or two haha!!

After going to my local SC (where I've ordered OTC parts before) and getting nowhere, I created a service request in the app. In the comments, I said I just wanted to buy the inserts for our two MY's, not have them installed by mobile service.

Got an email a few days later to e-sign to approve the estimate. They had two invoices, one for each MY. Then got an email from the parts guy at the SC saying they'd email me when the blades come in.

Why oh why do they make simple things complicated?? :D

StanT

Jan 23, 2020
Fishkill
I have the same issue with the Duralast Aero blades I just got. Couldn’t figure out what was happening at first.

also, to the OP, even when I broke the wings off if took some finagling to get the adapter to fit in the wiper stalk, so that may be the issue as well. (I have a 2020 so I don’t have the extra nozzle that you have)
So since my driver side worked no problem- I'm going to try a connector transplant :) I'm going to try to take the old driver side wiper connector and attempt to install it over the top of the passenger Michelin wiper.. the issue I think isn't the blade but the huge part on top that the arm needs to connect to- if the michelin snap in part was just 2-3mm thinner...

there may also be a different way too... so in the olden days you could just actually replace the rubber part in a wiper... old wipers had 2 metal thin rods that would slide on either side of the rubber to hold it in... you would replace the rubber by removing the blade, removing the metal slides, getting the new rubber (in our case silicone) and putting the metal slides in and replacing the blade... Not exactly sure what the OEM blade was doing but a blade transplant might work too.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
So since my driver side worked no problem- I'm going to try a connector transplant :) I'm going to try to take the old driver side wiper connector and attempt to install it over the top of the passenger Michelin wiper.. the issue I think isn't the blade but the huge part on top that the arm needs to connect to- if the michelin snap in part was just 2-3mm thinner...

there may also be a different way too... so in the olden days you could just actually replace the rubber part in a wiper... old wipers had 2 metal thin rods that would slide on either side of the rubber to hold it in... you would replace the rubber by removing the blade, removing the metal slides, getting the new rubber (in our case silicone) and putting the metal slides in and replacing the blade... Not exactly sure what the OEM blade was doing but a blade transplant might work too.
Let us know.
Yes, I remember the days when you could get wiper blade refills and just replace the rubber blades for a few bucks rather than pay $20-30+ for the entire assembly. The old way seemed cheaper and easier with less waste, to be honest.

StanT

Jan 23, 2020
Fishkill
Let us know.
Yes, I remember the days when you could get wiper blade refills and just replace the rubber blades for a few bucks rather than pay $20-30+ for the entire assembly. The old way seemed cheaper and easier with less waste, to be honest.
So the connector cannot be removed... so that's a fail. BUT the rubber is fairly easily changed. Now I haven't done it yet with my passenger wiper, but I experimented with the old driver side one (we have the remnants of the hurricane hitting NY with lots of rain- the day to mess up is not today so I'm holding off the real change for a day or so).

That said if you take the tesla OEM wiper then:
  1. Pop off each end
  2. Remove the plastic sheathing
  3. The 2 metal sides holding in the wiper will just slide apart and the rubber will just fall out.
  4. Then same deal on the Michelin- remove the ends of the new wiper
  5. Pop out the metal part that holds the rubber part
  6. Now the metal doesn't come apart, so just slowly pull the silicone wiper out of the metal, slowly so not to rip it.
  7. Fit the silicone one back between the OEM metal slits
  8. Put the plastic back on and then the ends.
Now I couldn't finish my experiment because the passenger size is smaller than the driver experimental one I took apart... so the final proof will be in a day or two when I do it to the real deal- the passenger OEM one. Till then, as they said in the movie "The Ghost in the Darkness"- the theory is sound.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC