Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Fix biggest issue in Model 3

Nerdy_Engineer

Brett - The Nerdy Engineer
Sep 22, 2016
Colorado
I've had my Model 3 for a while now, and there has been one thing that annoyed me every time I was in the car. The phone dock is so much harder to use than the phone dock in the Model X. I finally got a wireless phone charger, it now I LOVE the phone dock! So if you're like me, and you don't like having to fiddle with your phone to dock it, definitely check out a wireless phone charger. I went with the Nomad based on their excellent reputation for making high quality wireless chargers. It's by far the best accessory I've found for the Model 3. I challenge you to find a better accessory. Seriously, I'd love to know if there's another accessory that I should get! Haha. Oh, one word of caution, if you have a really tall phone, then it might not work! So measure your phone before dropping a bunch of money on one!

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt

ksb467

May 16, 2018
Atlanta
I've had my Model 3 for a while now, and there has been one thing that annoyed me every time I was in the car. The phone dock is so much harder to use than the phone dock in the Model X. I finally got a wireless phone charger, it now I LOVE the phone dock! So if you're like me, and you don't like having to fiddle with your phone to dock it, definitely check out a wireless phone charger. I went with the Nomad based on their excellent reputation for making high quality wireless chargers. It's by far the best accessory I've found for the Model 3. I challenge you to find a better accessory. Seriously, I'd love to know if there's another accessory that I should get! Haha. Oh, one word of caution, if you have a really tall phone, then it might not work! So measure your phone before dropping a bunch of money on one!

This is 100% spot on. Just be sure your phone accepts wireless charging

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer

DirtyT3sla

Apr 17, 2019
Holly
I was going to get a wireless charger soon, but now I think I may change from the S8+ to the Oneplus 7 Pro and it doesn't have wireless charging...glad I didn't buy it yet lol

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
The only thing I’ve noticed that’s weird with the Nomad is that if I accelerate hard in my P3D, my iPhone screen lights up. Not sure why...

Nerdy_Engineer

Sep 22, 2016
Colorado
The only thing I’ve noticed that’s weird with the Nomad is that if I accelerate hard in my P3D, my iPhone screen lights up. Not sure why...
Interesting. I wonder if the current from the USB outlets drops when accelerating hard which causes your phone to stop charging momentarily. I haven't noticed that in my Model 3, but I drive like a grandma and I don't have the performance model.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
The accelerometer inside your phone activated as if you picked it up.

Hmm. Interesting idea. But not sure that’s true. Anyone else confirm? I can’t physically hold my phone at the angle the car holds it - and wake the screen up by tilting it unless I tilt it a LOT.

And really I pretty much can’t wake it up by tilting if it starts at that angle.

Hank101

Go Tigers!
Apr 19, 2016
Greenville, SC
This is 100% spot on. Just be sure your phone accepts wireless charging
Or, add one of these "Wireless Phone Charging Receivers", like I did. There are many different versions/plug type on Amazon/eBay. Works great.

These will block your phone port from being easily charged wired.
https://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-Wireless-Receiver-Narrow-Side-Qi-Enabled/dp/B01DLYF0Q0

These will allow you to charge both wired and wireless, but will leave your phone with a small adapter plug sticking out.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Wir...eiver+type+c&qid=1558524043&s=wireless&sr=1-4

I just decided to go all wireless with the first Wireless Charger option (hidden behind my protective case) a cheap home wireless charger ~ $10, and use the Nomad in my car.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer

cyril94440

May 23, 2019
Paris
Hmm. Interesting idea. But not sure that’s true. Anyone else confirm? I can’t physically hold my phone at the angle the car holds it - and wake the screen up by tilting it unless I tilt it a LOT.

And really I pretty much can’t wake it up by tilting if it starts at that angle.

lolder

Jun 11, 2016
SW Florida
I find the phone dock very easy to use. I have a case on my non-wireless charging android and I just removed the rubber pad. I don't understand the problem.

Nerdy_Engineer

Sep 22, 2016
Colorado
I find the phone dock very easy to use. I have a case on my non-wireless charging android and I just removed the rubber pad. I don't understand the problem.
Maybe your phone is easier to dock/undock. I had so many issues with mine. It's possible my USB port on my phone is tighter than average because I use wireless charging for my phone at home and work. So pretty much the only time I ever used to plug it in was in my Model 3. I think you'll find that once you get a phone with wireless charging, you'll quickly become accustomed to it and be annoyed at 'old fashioned' charging docks with physical plugs!

lolder

Jun 11, 2016
SW Florida
Maybe your phone is easier to dock/undock. I had so many issues with mine. It's possible my USB port on my phone is tighter than average because I use wireless charging for my phone at home and work. So pretty much the only time I ever used to plug it in was in my Model 3. I think you'll find that once you get a phone with wireless charging, you'll quickly become accustomed to it and be annoyed at 'old fashioned' charging docks with physical plugs!
Wireless charging of phones is hugely inefficient. Even though the individual loss is small, multiplied by the billions the energy amount is staggering. If you have a case it's worse. My Moto X4 must use a stick on and it got warm so I retired it. Maybe if they built a phone with an integral soft case and built in coil in the case it would be better. Transmit and receive coils have to be very close for maximum efficiency.

Nerdy_Engineer

Sep 22, 2016
Colorado
Wireless charging of phones is hugely inefficient. Even though the individual loss is small, multiplied by the billions the energy amount is staggering. If you have a case it's worse. My Moto X4 must use a stick on and it got warm so I retired it. Maybe if they built a phone with an integral soft case and built in coil in the case it would be better. Transmit and receive coils have to be very close for maximum efficiency.
I have the Pixel 3 which has built in wireless charging. However, it's true that any wireless charging is going to be less efficient than plugging in. For cell phones the losses are minimal. But this is one of the main reasons I'm against the idea of a wireless charging parking space for EVs. It would really reduce the overall efficiency of the EV because of the additional charging losses. Also, plugging in an EV is so easy and convenient, there isn't really a need for wireless charging. I know, now it sounds like I'm a hypocrite, but you dock your phone at least every time you get in the car (more if you don't live in California) compared to plugging your car in once a day. So when you run multiple errands in a day you're docking your phone every time.

lolder

Jun 11, 2016
SW Florida
The losses per phone are minimal but worldwide many more gigawatts of power generation capacity will be required. Close intimate contact is required that present soft cases prevent.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC