Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Fix: "There are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle" Error in App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
For those who recently got the firmware update that allows you to access your Homelink doors via the app under "Controls" but get the following message:

"There are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle"

On your car's screen go into settings, then Autopilot and then Summon Settings (must be in park for this to be accessible) and towards the bottom you want to enable the option to open garage doors upon summon. If you have more than one Homelink door programmed you will also want to specify which door to toggle.

That's it. Now when you back out you will be able to toggle this garage door via the phone app.

For many, this falls into a category of "why/when would I use that feature?" so it's not like everyone will use it every day. Like many features though it's nice to have should you ever need it. Personally, I don't use summon and I sure don't trust it to open my garage doors for me but I can now use it to open and close garage doors from my phone.

I searched everywhere and couldn't find why this wouldn't work so I assumed it was a software big that needed to be ironed out. Randomly I got it to work on one of our cars so it motivated me to get to the bottom of why it wasn't working. I was able to find this solution and thought I would post it up here on TMC to possible help others having the same issue.

For those who recently got the firmware update that allows you to access your Homelink doors via the app under "Controls" but get the following message:

"There are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle"

On your car's screen go into settings, then Autopilot and then Summon Settings (must be in park for this to be accessible) and towards the bottom you want to enable the option to open garage doors upon summon. If you have more than one Homelink door programmed you will also want to specify which door to toggle.

That's it. Now when you back out you will be able to toggle this garage door via the phone app.

For many, this falls into a category of "why/when would I use that feature?" so it's not like everyone will use it every day. Like many features though it's nice to have should you ever need it. Personally, I don't use summon and I sure don't trust it to open my garage doors for me but I can now use it to open and close garage doors from my phone.

I searched everywhere and couldn't find why this wouldn't work so I assumed it was a software big that needed to be ironed out. Randomly I got it to work on one of our cars so it motivated me to get to the bottom of why it wasn't working. I was able to find this solution and thought I would post it up here on TMC to possible help others having the same issue.
Thanks for the post. While it Homelink via the app worked fine for three cars, we still had one that would always open the wrong door. It sounds like we probably have the wrong garage door selected for that car. I'll double-check it tonight!

Mine didn't work for a while and then started working without that feature enabled. Go figure.
I read somebody else post the same thing and that's what got me trying it on the car that it didn't work again in the first place. I just assumed after the first update that the update was broken until somebody posted exactly what you did and that's what made me try our other car. Once I got that to work I knew that it could potentially be a sitting on my end I had control over and kept digging.

Thanks for the post. While it Homelink via the app worked fine for three cars, we still had one that would always open the wrong door. It sounds like we probably have the wrong garage door selected for that car. I'll double-check it tonight!
Good luck! You were one of the driving forces to me getting to the bottom of this mystery once you said you were able to get it to work in the first place. That post is what caused me to try it again on our other car which yielded successful results. At that point I knew that it worked and it was probably some sort of operator error. In this case I won't accept full responsibility because that's sort of a dumb requirement since not everybody who would take advantage of it uses summon but I'm just glad it was something that I was able to change on the user end.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker