Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Fix Your Tesla’s HVAC Smell (TMC Podcast Clip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a quick PSA from @lUtriaNt on how you might be able to fix the HVAC smell issue in the Model 3 and Y, as well as some context. Hope this helps!

This is a clip from the Tesla Motors Club Podcast #15. The full episode is linked in this article:

Here's a quick PSA from @lUtriaNt on how you might be able to fix the HVAC smell issue in the Model 3 and Y, as well as some context. Hope this helps!

This is a clip from the Tesla Motors Club Podcast #15. The full episode is linked in this article:

I have a 2020 Model Y in Florida. I do get that putrid smell frequently causing me to regularly change cabin filters and spray Klima-Cleaner in the filter space. It is a pain.

This podcast was not helpful. They’re in California with a dry heat and admit they’ve never had the issue before. I’d like to hear someone who HAS had the issue or from somebody from the South or a place of very high humidity offer their solution.
I’m in Rhode Island and have a 2021 MY LR and have been battling the smell since getting the car. I changed the filters twice and use 2 cans of Kool-it evaporator cleaner (one is not enough I’ve found) and that is the only fix I’ve found to work—albeit temporary—the smell returns after a few months, especially after lots of rain and high humidity.
I run the a/c on auto, and just have gotten used to trying to remember to turn on the a/c via the tesla app before getting in the car so that it gives it a few minutes for the nasty smell to clear before I get in.

Reactions: kessel_run
This podcast was not helpful. They’re in California with a dry heat and admit they’ve never had the issue before. I’d like to hear someone who HAS had the issue or from somebody from the South or a place of very high humidity offer their solution.
I’m in Rhode Island and have a 2021 MY LR and have been battling the smell since getting the car. I changed the filters twice and use 2 cans of Kool-it evaporator cleaner (one is not enough I’ve found) and that is the only fix I’ve found to work—albeit temporary—the smell returns after a few months, especially after lots of rain and high humidity.
I run the a/c on auto, and just have gotten used to trying to remember to turn on the a/c via the tesla app before getting in the car so that it gives it a few minutes for the nasty smell to clear before I get in.
We have about 15K miles on our Model Y and gone through 3 cans of the evaporator cleaner, 4th cabin filter, Lysol and 1:10 bleach sprayed into the ducts and condenser. Around 8-9K miles we brought it in to Tesla for service. We STILL continue to have this embarrassing smelly issue.

This is our number 1 reason to get rid of this Y and maybe get a X.