Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to force updates

Coly

Nov 11, 2019
London
So I'm the conduit for this message.... dont know whether it works or not but it does in the US and figured you guys who already have their teslas in the UK could confirm:
Tap the advance button 5 times (or hold it down) forces updates.

Good luck and enjoy

kevuwk

Aug 5, 2019
UK
Forces to check for an update, if there isn’t an update available for your car then it won’t make it happen

ilyak

Mar 16, 2019
Walpole, NH
Opening the Software screen triggers a software update check. This, in turn, triggers a software update if, and only if, your VIN is flagged for one. Pushing, moving, or holding the update slider is irrelevant.

Reactions: lowtek

NorfolkMustard

Apr 18, 2019
M3P w/FSD
I see a lot of people confusing temporal coincidence of two criteria and one outcome for a causal relationship between the second criterion and the outcome.
I thought that but not so sure. You’re suggesting all these people were allocated the update in the 10 seconds or so between opening the software page ( when it checks for an update ) and holding/tapping the “advanced” button on the same page which triggers another ordinary check for an update

BobSpurs

Jul 8, 2019
England
I’m fairly sure the technique for forcing the update worked for me. I had opened and closed the software page probably 6 or 7 times and no updated showed.
I then held it down for about 5 seconds, and lo and behold it started.

ilyak

Mar 16, 2019
Walpole, NH
I thought that but not so sure. You’re suggesting all these people were allocated the update in the 10 seconds or so between opening the software page ( when it checks for an update ) and holding/tapping the “advanced” button on the same page which triggers another ordinary check for an update
They weren't "allocated" an update in that period of time. 36.2.1 went to wide roll-out yesterday and continued today. Their VINs were already flagged for an update; opening the Software page simply triggered their cars to run an update check.

I’m fairly sure the technique for forcing the update worked for me. I had opened and closed the software page probably 6 or 7 times and no updated showed.
I then held it down for about 5 seconds, and lo and behold it started.

When an update check finishes, the car will display a message saying your software is up-to-date (or that you have an update ready to download if your VIN is flagged for one). Until you see this message, the check is not complete. The check itself can take up to 30 seconds during wide roll-outs.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I see a lot of people confusing temporal coincidence of two predictors and one outcome for a causal relationship between the second predictor and the outcome

To me a "lot of people" suggests that it aint coincidence ...

I'll believe it when i have tested it for myself .. (car not here at present)

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
This is completely false. Please stop spreading this rumor. It’s fun for a moment but then all the newbies come to the forums because they wonder why they’re not getting updates on their brand new car and try this stunt.

Stop posting this crap

• Disagree
Reactions: Coly

Coly

Nov 11, 2019
London
This is completely false. Please stop spreading this rumor. It’s fun for a moment but then all the newbies come to the forums because they wonder why they’re not getting updates on their brand new car and try this stunt.

Stop posting this crap
Well done for reading my post where I say I dont know whether it works or not as I dont even have a car to test it. Now it's closer to the top because you posted in the thread. Should have left the post dead where others say it doesnt work

Reactions: VanillaAir_UK

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC