Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to force updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of people confusing temporal coincidence of two criteria and one outcome for a causal relationship between the second criterion and the outcome.
I thought that but not so sure. You’re suggesting all these people were allocated the update in the 10 seconds or so between opening the software page ( when it checks for an update ) and holding/tapping the “advanced” button on the same page which triggers another ordinary check for an update

I’m fairly sure the technique for forcing the update worked for me. I had opened and closed the software page probably 6 or 7 times and no updated showed.
I then held it down for about 5 seconds, and lo and behold it started.

I thought that but not so sure. You’re suggesting all these people were allocated the update in the 10 seconds or so between opening the software page ( when it checks for an update ) and holding/tapping the “advanced” button on the same page which triggers another ordinary check for an update
They weren't "allocated" an update in that period of time. 36.2.1 went to wide roll-out yesterday and continued today. Their VINs were already flagged for an update; opening the Software page simply triggered their cars to run an update check.

I’m fairly sure the technique for forcing the update worked for me. I had opened and closed the software page probably 6 or 7 times and no updated showed.
I then held it down for about 5 seconds, and lo and behold it started.

When an update check finishes, the car will display a message saying your software is up-to-date (or that you have an update ready to download if your VIN is flagged for one). Until you see this message, the check is not complete. The check itself can take up to 30 seconds during wide roll-outs.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
This is completely false. Please stop spreading this rumor. It’s fun for a moment but then all the newbies come to the forums because they wonder why they’re not getting updates on their brand new car and try this stunt.

Stop posting this crap
Well done for reading my post where I say I dont know whether it works or not as I dont even have a car to test it. Now it's closer to the top because you posted in the thread. Should have left the post dead where others say it doesnt work

Reactions: MrBadger
Last time I checked, the button didn't even exist now probably because of the number of holes warn in screens from repeated tapping where it was

The irony of software updates (as the thread has now been revived) is most of the time when people do get an update, they then start to complain that something has stopped working!

This thread feels like a school reunion - ahh the memories.

Personally I find pointing the car towards Mecca and pressing the button 5 times may or may not increase you chance of getting the update, which came as a surprise as I am pretty agnostic about such things.

I can't confirm if the same outcome is achieved by pointing you car towards Rome

• Funny
Reactions: Thp3 and Adopado