Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pulled mine off again today. Not having done this for a while I forgot about a couple of points on reinstallation. There are tabs on the rear of chin section which need to fit into slots in the under body fairings. So, it is a two person job. Tilt the bar so that the top is further away from the car than the bottom, have someone down there to check that the tabs slide into their sockets, then rotate the bar backwards to its seated position and redo all the fixings, the 10 mm bolts and wheel well screws etc.

Any changes to the tutorial for a facelift Model S? Anyone have a tutorial for a facelift?
The process should be exactly the same for facelifted cars.
I have a 2013 MS w/ Tech and I had just a black insert where the fog lamps were and no cornering lights. I had a piece of road debris somehow damage one pretty badly. I opted when I placed the order through Tesla parts/service to get the newest version of the lights since the cost difference was so close. The newer version had the fog light and cornering lights so it was a decent upgrade. I had to buy two obviously but they were plug and play and just required a trip to the service center for a software update.
Ok, it sounds like you just upgraded to the higher end fogs with the additional lighting. The "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" was a bit confusing as it sounded like a facelifted upgrade but the fog lights as you described them have been around since inception but getting the LED fog + corner light was dependant of your Model S spec, not build date as Gen 1/2 would suggest.

The process should be exactly the same for facelifted cars.

Ok, it sounds like you just upgraded to the higher end fogs with the additional lighting. The "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" was a bit confusing as it sounded like a facelifted upgrade but the fog lights as you described them have been around since inception but getting the LED fog + corner light was dependant of your Model S spec, not build date as Gen 1/2 would suggest.

Evan,

Please check your messages/email.

Thanks,
Richmond

I stumbled across this old but very useful post - thanks for the detailed instructions. Any idea how the chrome ring on the nose cone is attached/can be removed once the bumper is off the car? Anybody tried to wrap that chrome ring and can comment on the process and end results? Pics would be awesome of course. Thank you!

Now is a great time to take a towel and quick detailer to clean the edges of the bumper and headlights
IMG_5693.JPG

The headlight is held in place by 4 screws, 2 here...
IMG_5700.JPG

...and 2 here
IMG_5701.JPG

Remove the 4 bolts, the odd one goes on the top of the headlight
IMG_5704.JPG

After the bolts are removed and electrical connection separated the headlights are ready to come out. This part takes a little bit of finesse as it is a tight fit between the subframe and the tip of the fender. When removing the headlights you will want to keep the tip of the fender in the bottom of the "crease" or "rut" the runs along the top of the headlight THIS IS THE ONLY WAY to get the headlights out unless you feel like removing the fenders. Keep the tip of the fender in the bottom of the V while slowly and gently pulling the headlight out. As the unit comes out you will need to tilt it slightly backwards. Be very patient and gentle with this process.
IMG_5717.JPG

Here is a pictorial guide for the movement needed while removing the headlight:
IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

Lights Out
IMG_5705.JPG

Congrats
IMG_5712.JPG

I just replaced a LED headlight assy. on my 2016 facelift S. It was about the same procedure but I did not have to take the entire bumper cover off and there is no extra nose piece on the bottom. I did loosen the to front corner fender bolts to get make it easier. The connector was a puzzle on the headlight. After removing the frunk I was able to see that you have to push in with a screwdriver from the side, not the back of the connector.

The reason I wanted to replace it was the DRL/accent light had turned yellow in the bottom inside corner. Out of warranty Tesla wanted over $1500 to fix it so I found a new one on eBay for $150 shipped with a tab broken off the bottom. I fabricated an aluminum tab held in with pop rivets and JB Weld.

The problem now is the new one is a brighter white than the good left one. LOL

I just parked and my bumper was pulled off from the parking stopper thing. It broke my bumper bracket mount. Is that a separate piece or is it connected to something much bigger?

Attachments

• FCE47D6E-84D8-4D69-B3FD-479E1DAC55A9.jpeg
    FCE47D6E-84D8-4D69-B3FD-479E1DAC55A9.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 219
  • C200A386-04C4-4DD4-AB39-005630425DCA.jpeg
    C200A386-04C4-4DD4-AB39-005630425DCA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
There is also a small screw at the top rearmost edge in the wheel well. I assume the bumper will have ripped there as well. This screw is common to most makes of cars and joins the plastic bumper to the metal of the fender. ?No.4 or 5 in the parts diagram.

It might, but can’t say for sure as have not attempted to remove/replace it. It’s actually called middle or centre cooling louvre, which has the horns attached. On this image it show’s screws attached from the front so it looks like there is a possibility. But first remove the frunk to have closer look.

C0826CB7-F432-4F7F-AAB3-5B9F784E64F5.jpeg

And if you look closer there are side brackets that are fixed to the side cooling air duct, so the bumper must come off.