Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you had a chance to inspect the new facelift bumper?
Wondering if the mounting tabs are similar to the classic style bumper.
Unfortunately I have not, I will report back if I do.
ucsbwsr,

Were you planning to install the newer headlights? Will they fit?

Nice topic.

P.S. Are you a ucsb grad?

Gauchos! Volleyball player. Class of 2007.

I don't own a Model S, I just happen to build custom high-performance Model S HID headlamps. From what I gather the LED lamps can not be retrofitted due to some structural and possibly electrical changes.

Evan

Could you still paint the inside?

Probably, I have never had a single headlamp in my hands to examine the channel where the lens and housing meet it is probably just like every other headlight which can be pryd open. The internal trim can be painted without any negative impact to the headlight function.
I am eager to get my hands on a pair of LED headlights to do this exact thing. These headlights look really good as-is but I still see potential.

Evan

Just to add some observations, having done both a September 2014 car and a mid 2015 car. In order to disconnect the electric cable to the bumper cover, remove the frunk tub. Dead easy and exposes everything. First remove the carpet liner by lifting the rubber seal and pulling out the carpet tub. Start at windscreen edge. Be careful at the front, you need to disconnect the plugs to the frunk light and emergency frunk release. Next, remove the two 13 mm bolts at the windscreen edge and the two 7mm nuts at the front edge. Lift out the tub carefully remembering the two plugs just mentioned and pop out the grommet carrying the wires. It is just to the left front of the tub. The whole tub just lifts out. Reinstallation is the reverse, but maybe a two person job simply because of the wires and the need to reseat the grommet, while supporting the weight of the tub. This was on the dual motor vehicle. I have not removed the tub from the rear wheel drive, but I understand it is much the same with possibly a few extra bolts.
The reinstallation was easy other than the electrical connections.

• Helpful
Reactions: omarsultan
Hi, is anyone still reading this thread? I very unfortunately caused some bubbling with a heat gun to my front bumper while trying to remove the front license plate. I'm getting quotes from body shops for a repair. Most haven't worked on a Tesla before but are willing to try. And, one wants to charge a fee for a "health scan" to reset the sensors and "clear codes" after removing the bumper. Is this a thing? Should I not use shops that aren't familiar with how to do this? Thank you!

Can someone tell me approximately how much time a disassembly of the 2016 Tesla model S should take by a professional certified body shop? They are trying to charge me over $2,000 just to do an estimate to fix the damage from running into a wall at about 10 mph. They are saying it's because it took over 15 hours to disassemble, which sounds really wrong to me.

Can someone tell me approximately how much time a disassembly of the 2016 Tesla model S should take by a professional certified body shop? They are trying to charge me over $2,000 just to do an estimate to fix the damage from running into a wall at about 10 mph. They are saying it's because it took over 15 hours to disassemble, which sounds really wrong to me.

Complete BS ... get your insurance company involved with the body shop ASAP

Total bullshit. The first car I did using these instructions took about an hour to get the front bumper cover off. With practice, my guess is 30-45 mins tops.

Awesome guide man! This helped me remove the bumper within an hour...swap out my fog/cornering lights with new Gen 2's and clean out the large amounts of leaves and girt that had gotten caught inside the vents behind the bumper. Thanks a lot!

Glad it was helpful.

Regarding the fogs, what is the difference between Gen 1 &2?

I have a 2013 MS w/ Tech and I had just a black insert where the fog lamps were and no cornering lights. I had a piece of road debris somehow damage one pretty badly. I opted when I placed the order through Tesla parts/service to get the newest version of the lights since the cost difference was so close. The newer version had the fog light and cornering lights so it was a decent upgrade. I had to buy two obviously but they were plug and play and just required a trip to the service center for a software update.