TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How to fully cancel cruise control without button on stalk

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by azred, Dec 21, 2016.

1. azred

azred Member

#1 azred, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    My cruise control stalk has no button and when I "cancel" it by pushing the stalk forward or by braking, it dims the set speed but does not delete it. So if I have the cruise set to 75, then "cancel" by pushing the stalk forward, and later want to cruise at say 50mph, as soon as I reactivate cruise it wants to go 75. A quit push down on the stalk changes the cruise speed to my current speed. But it seems like there should be some way to fully cancel the cruise setting, as could be done in the old system that had the "on/off" button on the end of the stalk. I've only had the car for five days so hopefully it's operator error. The way I am using cruise is obviously a bit dangerous. I did read the owners manual but of course the constantly changing feature set means the manual isn't very helpful re this question.

2. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

tapping the brake disengages both the TACC and Autosteering features.

also, when re-engaging the stalk, pressing down or up sets the speed to the current velocity, and can be used to incrementally go faster or slower in one mile and 5 mile increments be repeated pressing up or down the stalk.

• Like x 1
  3. azred

azred Member

I think you are telling me to do what I am already doing. My concern is if I am following someone going say 50 and reengage cruise (I only have the dumb cruise, not TACC), the car will try to match the previous speed setting, which could be dangerous if it was say set to 75. I did discover that when pushing down on the stalk the cruise immediately picked up my new, lower speed but that seems like a dangerous way to reengage the cruise.

4. azred

azred Member

So to simplify my question: On a newer Model S without the button on the end of the stalk is there any way to cancel the selected speed such that the car won't attempt to match that "old" speed the next time cruise is activated?

5. Max*

Max* Not Banned

What do you want it to default to? Your current speed? I believe if you push down, instead of pulling the stalk to you, it'll default to your current speed.

If you pull and hold the stalk, it'll default to the speed limit.

It sounds like what you want, is instead of pushing down to default to current speed, that when cruise is off, next time you pull the stalk it defaults to the current speed? I don't think there's a way to do that.

6. azred

azred Member

Right now, if I am traveling 50 and want to set cruise at that level, it first resumes at the prior setting, which if it was 75 or 80 would be dangerous until I move the stalk up or down. Admittedly, it shouldn't be a problem as long as I understand that's how it works but the first couple times I got a rude surprise when the car suddenly accelerated past my current (lower) speed. I thought maybe there was an on/off switch but apparently not with the current stalk. Thanks anyway. I'll try your tips.

7. Max*

Max* Not Banned

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.

To engage cruise control, while traveling 50 (even if you had it set at 75mph before hand) INSTEAD of pulling it towards you, PUSH down. That should set it to the current speed. Not pull towards you (it'll set to 75mph) THEN push down.

8. azred

azred Member

Thanks, I'll try it.

• Like x 1
  9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I am amazed at how many times Tesla has changed the cruise stalk. I have the old, old one with no button and no AP. The manual on the center screen no longer had instructions for it, but luckily my car came with an old paper quick start guide that had the correct directions.

It was a bit of an adventure on the highway while we figured out how to make it work correctly. :) Only downside of the ever changing owners manual I guess.

10. azred

azred Member

I believe one of the neatest features about Tesla is their constant efforts to update and improve. User manual updates may be a casualty especially when said manual is supporting all of the various versions of our cars. This forum is better than any manual anyway.

11. Petra

Petra Member

That shouldn't happen... the appropriate manual version matching a car's features should be installed in each car. Tesla has a very small number of configurations to manage and each configuration can be identified by VIN, so making sure that the update package with the correct manual is passed to the car isn't a hard problem to solve. If the manual is getting mismatched with vehicle configuration, then Tesla is being lazy and doing their owners a disservice. What happens when someone buys a CPO or otherwise used AP1 car but the manual only has information regarding the capabilities and limitations of AP2? Not cool.

12. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

To allay some of your concerns, I did go back and read the manual section on my center screen for cruise control closer. What I missed was the word "newer cars" when talking about cruise stalks without a button. So I was trying to follow those instructions, and I should have been following the instructions for the "button" configuration of cruise stalk. So, the instructions WERE there, just not very clear.

13. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I really miss that button on the newer car.