Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to get a good safety score in city traffic where you are cut off once a day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive in city traffic where I'm cut off once a day. My Forward Collision Avoidance warning is set to early and every drive I get 2 or 3 when someone cuts me off. Every other drive one of them is close enough to count against my safety score. According to this web page, even though I've only driven the car 6 times for 63 miles total, my safety score which is now 69 would require 1,243 of perfect 100 driving before I'd be at a 99.

Seems impossible in the city, I can't turn on autopilot on most of the city streets (not available / too many cyclists / traffic cutting me off to use safely) so all of these other driver behaviors count "against me."

1. Any way to turn off safety score when driving in town by driver / user profiles or some such?

2. Any way to turn off safety score and reset it, and wait until I have a long road trip on the highway, where it will be more likely to be able to get a good safety score? Thanks!

Safety score seems to be all about finding which drivers are more likely to have a collision. That depends not only on the driver, but where he/she is driving. So they want to notice when you get cut off in heavy traffic. Another driver - say in rural areas with less traffic - will get a better score than you, even though you may be the better driver. I think it's all "risk assessment" not merely driver assessment.

That is an excellent point. Lots of chances in the city for someone to cause an accident! And being too safe is itself dangerous (people more likely to swerve around you if you follow too slowly). So, I'm seeing some older posts that you can dis-enroll from FSD beta, then, request to join again after a few hours, and the history will be wiped clean?

And, I read someone who says it only requires 100 miles over 30 days of 100 score to get the invite. Does that still work as of today? I could exit the city, head upstate on a 60 mile drive and head back, and then take the subway / bus / taxi for the next month - and get the 100 miles "clear"?

And, some people say autopilot cruise control doesn't count for FWC if someone cuts in front of you - is that true also for cruise control only (speed not steering)/

And what if someone cuts me off when I'm in cruise control and I brake hard, thus disengaging cruise control? Does anyone know if that counts against me if the FWC occurs during the braking?

I dis-enrolled in the evening and re enrolled the next morning around Sep/Oct. It took about 5 days to be accepted to beta program at the time. I drove maybe 200 miles during that period, mostly highway with autopilot. It's true that hard brakes during AP does not count against your score. You can also use cruise control w/o auto steer for this purpose.

I dis-enrolled in the evening and re enrolled the next morning around Sep/Oct. It took about 5 days to be accepted to beta program at the time. I drove maybe 200 miles during that period, mostly highway with autopilot. It's true that hard brakes during AP does not count against your score. You can also use cruise control w/o auto steer for this purpose.

Thanks! I tried this - dis-enrolled, made sure car was connected to wifi, went away for an hour, and requested to re-enroll. Safety score has reset! I will now get a hat with a feather and drive like I am 87. Fingers crossed no one cuts me off.

My other question:

1. If I'm on autopilot and the car isn't braking quickly enough when someone starts to zoom in my lane such as a cyclist or another car, so I brake and autopilot disengages and the car finishes moving into my lane way too close - does that count against me as a FCW my fault, or does the algorithm not fault me as I avoided hitting someone by reacting quickly?

Thanks! I tried this - dis-enrolled, made sure car was connected to wifi, went away for an hour, and requested to re-enroll. Safety score has reset! I will now get a hat with a feather and drive like I am 87. Fingers crossed no one cuts me off.

My other question:

1. If I'm on autopilot and the car isn't braking quickly enough when someone starts to zoom in my lane such as a cyclist or another car, so I brake and autopilot disengages and the car finishes moving into my lane way too close - does that count against me as a FCW my fault, or does the algorithm not fault me as I avoided hitting someone by reacting quickly?
You are still the driver!! you have to be safe. From my experience, the car will likely reacts before me in most situations, but I still have to be responsible. As I recalled, additional braking after AP tried to slow down did not affect my score.

This is helpful thank you. In NYC there are often double parked vehicles so I have to swing out around them. You can't go around too soon that would be dangerous, and many times on a one-way a car is double-parked across from a fire hydrant so you can't move to the left "in advance" but if nothing is coming the other way you also don't have to slow down much. I have triggered several FCWs that way when driving not on autopilot - the car thought I was going too fast but really I was going 20 MPH slowed to 10 MPH as I deliberately approached the double-parked car before being able to maneuver around and still got the FCW even though clearly to a human I was not being risky. Is there a speed below which FCW won't trigger? I have yet to get an automatic collision avoidance it is only a FCW in the above type of situation, and, FCWs when another car swerves in front of me. Of course from Tesla's point of view they probably should never give anyone FSD beta in NYC, Boston, Rome, Paris, or any of the cities where there are crowded roads and lots of mopeds, cyclists, swerving cars, double-parked ubers, etc., etc.

This is helpful thank you. In NYC there are often double parked vehicles so I have to swing out around them. You can't go around too soon that would be dangerous, and many times on a one-way a car is double-parked across from a fire hydrant so you can't move to the left "in advance" but if nothing is coming the other way you also don't have to slow down much. I have triggered several FCWs that way when driving not on autopilot - the car thought I was going too fast but really I was going 20 MPH slowed to 10 MPH as I deliberately approached the double-parked car before being able to maneuver around and still got the FCW even though clearly to a human I was not being risky. Is there a speed below which FCW won't trigger? I have yet to get an automatic collision avoidance it is only a FCW in the above type of situation, and, FCWs when another car swerves in front of me. Of course from Tesla's point of view they probably should never give anyone FSD beta in NYC, Boston, Rome, Paris, or any of the cities where there are crowded roads and lots of mopeds, cyclists, swerving cars, double-parked ubers, etc., etc.
This is actually the scenario that drives me crazy the most... Going thru a neighborhood near my house... For whatever reason, the spacing is just right such that whenever I pass a parked vehicle, there's a high chance I get a FCW. I don't know what the speed cutoff is, but one time I was near the intersection going up an incline, and I was already slowing to a stop, and was going probably around 5-10 mph, and it lit up a FCW for a car parked next to the stop sign. I got so annoyed, that I started detouring around that place to prevent aggravation.

On a side note, I'm convinced the whole debacle with the safety score and FSD isn't actually to weed out drivers that would be "unsafe". I'm convinced it's actually to filter particular driving scenarios/environments. So for example, all those FCW dings, aren't becuase they think you are unsafe, it's because they want drivers that are from regions where they get as few FCW as possible, for example, so they can slowly train their models to be able to minimize false FCW. At least that's my take. And the aggressive turns, from what I've seen from the dings I've got, doesn't seem to actually correlate with unsafe behavior, it seems to look as if they are trying to filter drivers from regions that don't have to navigate sharp and/or sweeping curves, perhaps becuase they still need to work on their models for recognizing how sharp a turn the car needs to make and how best to approach the turn, etc. There are several curves that I deal with daily, that always seemed to ding me if I drove like a normal person.

On a side note, I'm convinced the whole debacle with the safety score and FSD isn't actually to weed out drivers that would be "unsafe". I'm convinced it's actually to filter particular driving scenarios/environments.

That makes total sense, especially as urban environments are the most challenging. Still, it would be nice to have it for when I'm not in the city. I wonder if drive out to rural upstate New York, dis-enroll and re-enroll, and log a few hundred of miles of throughway, and park overnight, I could get invited with a 100 score? Or does it take at least 30 days or something so a "great weekend" won't be enough.

That makes total sense, especially as urban environments are the most challenging. Still, it would be nice to have it for when I'm not in the city. I wonder if drive out to rural upstate New York, dis-enroll and re-enroll, and log a few hundred of miles of throughway, and park overnight, I could get invited with a 100 score? Or does it take at least 30 days or something so a "great weekend" won't be enough.
I've heard some people say they got in with just a single really long road trip... Altho I think they only accept new people into the beta when they release new FSD updates?