Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get a hand sanitizer stain off of a black leather seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife accidentally smeared some hand sanitizer on our Model 3 back leather seat. Now the area smeared by the hand sanitizer is darker black.
I tried to rub it off using a microfiber towel with water. I got some off but I can still see the darker color from certain angles.

Any advice on a product or a way that can get the stain off?

My wife accidentally smeared some hand sanitizer on our Model 3 back leather seat. Now the area smeared by the hand sanitizer is darker black.
I tried to rub it off using a microfiber towel with water. I got some off but I can still see the darker color from certain angles.

Any advice on a product or a way that can get the stain off?
I don't know what kind of stain, but after I got my car back from Tesla after they swapped the rear glass, I wiped down all the seats with a damp microfiber towel. For the remaining spots, I believe I wet the towel with hot water from the tap instead of cold (wringed out so it was damp, and not dripping), and that removed any remaining spots.

If that doesn't work, page 170 in the manual says:
"Polyurethane Seats
Wipe spills as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. After cleaning, allow the seats to air dry."
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Note the seats are Polyurethane (PU) not leather (Tesla have long moved away from leather due to vegan activists requesting it, the last leather item in the Model 3 I believe was the steering wheel but even that was changed in 2019).
Tesla’s Model 3 interior is now completely leather-free, including the steering wheel

Last edited:
I use Isopropyl Alcohol 70% (rubbing alcohol) regularly on my seats to sanitize with no harm. What ingredients are in that hand sanitizer of yours?

I find certain types of sunblock turn my black seats white and difficult to rub off. Searching for that magic sauce.

I use WD-40 on plastic surfaces to remove residues of the gummy nature… followed up with Windex or a surface cleaner. Just a thought on using WD-40.