Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get a Hubbell 9540a for under $20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy the Bryant 9450FR off of Zoro.com, it's made by Hubbell and appears to be exactly the same unit with a different name stamped on it.

It's listed at $20.97 but right now until 12/24 11:59 P.M. CST you can use the code READY42019 and get 20% off and if you order $50 or more then you get free shipping

Link
Bryant 50A 4W Single Receptacle 125/250VAC 14-50R BK 9450FR | Zoro.com

Cover plate link
Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems Single Receptacle Plate, 2 Gang, Silver SS701 | Zoro.com

s6iL7XXFTL2hSWrLmRctyg.jpg ncjAOl+TRTWpDEbcyeVE4w.jpg Od6TFNcdQvSbRyhFwAqNLg.jpg CaYfDi7zRhOlJknjRi2YUg.jpg

Merry Xmas!

Last edited:
Buy the Bryant 9450FR off of Zoro.com, it's made by Hubbell and appears to be exactly the same unit with a different name stamped on it.

It's listed at $20.97 but right now until 12/24 11:59 P.M. CST you can use the code READY42019 and get 20% off and if you order $50 or more then you get free shipping

Link
Bryant 50A 4W Single Receptacle 125/250VAC 14-50R BK 9450FR | Zoro.com

Cover plate link
Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems Single Receptacle Plate, 2 Gang, Silver SS701 | Zoro.com

View attachment 363210 View attachment 363211 View attachment 363212 View attachment 363213

Merry Xmas!

I think you need to spend $100 for that coupon code to work?

Here is another option. Order the Nema 6-50 from them instead of the 14-50.
Bryant 50A Single Receptacle 250VAC 6-50R BK 9650FR | Zoro.com
Then you only need to buy 6/2 wire instead of 6/3 so you'll save some there and it will be more flexible/easier to run. You will need the Nema 6-50 adapter for your EVSE from Tesla but it is only $44 or so.
Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

This is especially helpful if you have a long run from your panel to your charging location. The Nema 6-50 does not use the neutral from the panel but neither does Tesla. The Tesla Wall connector does not use the neutral either. So if you upgrade to that later you'll still be covered.

Thanks @gilscales for the tip.

I ordered the Bryant 14-50 and cover plate from Zoro.com. I added some ProCell AA and AAA batteries I needed and got the free shipping. The batteries were a great price as well. Placed the order on Wed afternoon and it was all here the next day. Less than 24 hours later. That was fast free shipping.

I have not seen the $80 Hubble branded outlet to compare (I'll trust your comparison), but this Bryant/Hubble 14-50 is more robust than the ones I've seen at Lowes or Home Depot. Installed it last weekend and the Tesla UMC plugs into it very nicely. Firm solid fit and not too difficult to unplug when needed. Great find.

Reactions: gilscales
I have not seen the $80 Hubble branded outlet to compare (I'll trust your comparison), but this Bryant/Hubble 14-50 is more robust than the ones I've seen at Lowes or Home Depot. Installed it last weekend and the Tesla UMC plugs into it very nicely. Firm solid fit and not too difficult to unplug when needed. Great find.

I would agree.

The electrician whom I had do the install, who was recommended by Tesla, brought a Cooper outlet. He gave me a $10 credit to use mine :rolleyes:. But I'm glad that I did. I compared and it was much more robust than the one he brought.

I had the UMC secured to the wall using a velcro strap so that the socket is seeing no load from the charging brain hanging on it, nor from when I am moving the cable. Between those two things I feel very secure about the install!

Thanks again for the tip @gilscales !