Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get a Luxury Car Tax Refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I'm not going to bother. Everyones circumstances are different and some might now need a few hundred quid back on the VED of their £50k+ car but given the amount the gov are spending at the moment to keep us safe, the NHS doing what they can, I'll leave that small amount of tax in the gov bank account. When I bought the car I new what I was in for.

I can imagine some may have lost their jobs and need the cash to keep them going for another few days, to those you have my sympathy. Others, some of which probably think footballers should be giving up a chunk of their salary, are making it sound like a moral victory for the man in the street getting one over the government.

Same goes with the deferral of finance payments. The number of people who sounded disappointed when they found out they weren't going to get 3 months free, only deferred, was truly sickening. Thats TOGUK for you.

Personally I'm not going to bother. Everyones circumstances are different and some might now need a few hundred quid back on the VED of their £50k+ car but given the amount the gov are spending at the moment to keep us safe, the NHS doing what they can, I'll leave that small amount of tax in the gov bank account. When I bought the car I new what I was in for.

I can imagine some may have lost their jobs and need the cash to keep them going for another few days, to those you have my sympathy. Others, some of which probably think footballers should be giving up a chunk of their salary, are making it sound like a moral victory for the man in the street getting one over the government.

Same goes with the deferral of finance payments. The number of people who sounded disappointed when they found out they weren't going to get 3 months free, only deferred, was truly sickening. Thats TOGUK for you.
Why stop there? why not go out and buy a new car so that the govt get the VAT and first licence fee on that?
VED refunds and payment holidays due to corona virus are not the same thing. You make it sound as if everyone asking for a refund to which they are entitled is some sort of grifter or tax evader. The DVLA knew this would happen when they introduced the new rate and could have found a way to prevent refunds if they wanted to but chose not to.
If you don't want your money back then that is 100% fine but it seems unnecessary to try to shame everyone who does.
It's also not a very efficient approach. if you think that your money will find its way from the DVLA to the NHS I think you will be disappointed. If you really want the money to do some good you would be better reclaiming it then donating it to your local NHS trust or a food bank.

Why stop there? why not go out and buy a new car so that the govt get the VAT and first licence fee on that?
VED refunds and payment holidays due to corona virus are not the same thing. You make it sound as if everyone asking for a refund to which they are entitled is some sort of grifter or tax evader. The DVLA knew this would happen when they introduced the new rate and could have found a way to prevent refunds if they wanted to but chose not to.
If you don't want your money back then that is 100% fine but it seems unnecessary to try to shame everyone who does.
It's also not a very efficient approach. if you think that your money will find its way from the DVLA to the NHS I think you will be disappointed. If you really want the money to do some good you would be better reclaiming it then donating it to your local NHS trust or a food bank.

Totally agree with your all your points Jason71.

Reactions: bhav

Nearly £300 is a fortune to the Hospice where my money has gone.I say this not to blow smoke anywhere but I for one thank you @Jason71 for your clear and precise advise and not once did I consider you or anyone else doing this a tax dodger.

Reactions: ArunG
You could look at it, in these times of reduced income, every penny saved by the individual is keeping a roof over their head with an extra months mortgage.

I know its a national crisis, but even now government/s are so wasteful with our money. Anywhere you can not pay or claw back money legally then its fine by me

Reactions: ArunG
Jason, you'd fit in well on TOGUK with the self entitled bunch

The gov said there were no refunds, you've found a way to get around the system. I'm sure you're very proud of yourself.

Right, back to work for me trying to do my bit
Facebook not really my thing. Far to much #VirtueSignalling and other BS going on.
I prefer it here where people generally just post stuff to try to help each other out

So I got my M3 LR on 06/02/2020 it was used for 42k and I paid the 320 luxury car tax on the day I collected it.

Am I still able to do this even thought I’ve missed he start of April? I’m guessing I’ll just lose out on the April payment.

so from what I’m reading the process goes
Sorn the car
Tax again in 3-4 days
Profit?

Or

Because I’ve missed the 1st April
I just relicence the vehicle for £0 and wait for the cheque

Yes, you can still do it, before the start of April was just the last time you could do it and save the amount for the month of April.

You have until the end of this month to do it and avoid the paying the amount for the month of May..

Yes, you can still do it, before the start of April was just the last time you could do it and save the amount for the month of April.

You have until the end of this month to do it and avoid the paying the amount for the month of May..

do you have to go through the process of sorning the vehicle or can I just retax it at £0?

how long did you give it between applying sorn and retaxing?
you can SORN one day and re-tax the next. The problem is the online system will not allow more than one transaction every 3 days. So unless you want to wait 3 days between SORN and re-taxing one of the transactions has to be done at the Post Office. doesn't matter which one. Its the SORN that triggers the refund so the time taken for the cheque to arrive will not be dependant on the re-tax date

• Informative
Reactions: AmPiste