Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get auto insurance quote for right trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you verify that insurance agent is using the right deatails (e.g. MS 60 vs. 90) when you get a quote? I just spent about 30 minutes with a Liberty Mutual agent. Even using the VIN for my soon to be delivered 60D, she was not clear what kind of trim she is quoting me the price for? The quote for my situation ended up being $1900 per year (living in a Boston suburb).

Given that I have three other cars and properties insured with them (and other threads in this forum), I was expecting a lower quote, around $1000 per year. But of course that's just a gut feel...

She said their system does not even show her the value of the car that is giving me the quote for (e.g. MSRP). She just puts in teh VIN and gets some symbolic numbers for each line item in the policy (for example, in my case it was 64 for comprehensive and that translated to some $$$ for premium cost). She tried to compare the symbolic value against same values for my other car and give me a rough idea, but that was not very helpful. So I'm really wondering is she quoting me for the right trim (she kept referring to the car as Tesla Model S -- that is what she would see on her side).

Any thoughts? How did other folks verify that they are charged for the right trim? Shouldnt the agent be able to tell you the value of the car they are insuring?

Interesting point. I could change from 60d to p100d right now and get same quote.

I'm in similar situations with house and other cars with the person and only info she wanted was vin.

Quoted $146/mo for 60d X

There is no reason to be loyal to your insurance company if they are not loyal/faithful to you on pricing. I just dumped mine, saved money on the auto and home and umbrella. Went from farmers to amica, saving a lot of money.

To quote my farmers agent "there's no status in overpaying". Couldn't agree more!

@Grossie, yup, completely agree. But changing the insurance is kind of besides the point. My concern is whether the insurance companies have the right data for proper assessment of the value of the car, now almost 4 yrs after Model S has been out or they just assume they are all the same (as my agent out it: Sr, you know this is an unusual and expensive electric car!)

There are also a number of Youtube videos of people fighting their insurance to educate them on differences among Model S trims (in one case the individual claimed he lowered it by $700/yr once he proved he didn't have the of the line trim).

The other possibility is that the companies that have serviced MS claims and have experienced the cost of repair and replacements are now pushing up their rates and until market reaches an equilibrium we see wide variations (i.e. more than usual) among different companies!