Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Get Most Current Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new car on 12-23-16. I've only received one update since then. I park my car in the driveway and it appears that my wifi signal may not be strong enough to provide an adequate connection on a regular basis? My last update looks like this: v8.0 (2.50.180). On the screen I see the wifi symbol. I had to get my magnifying glass to see it. <grin> Apparently the symbol has three lines? One was lit until I opened the driver's door and then a second bar lit. This is with the car pulled up within 15 feet of the router which is inside my home office. This is not where I want to be parking my car. With a detached garage the car is pulled around to the back of the house for the moment to figure out what the problem is. I would like to be able to have the wifi connect where I normally park the car. I've read about wifi booster antennas. I'm a bit concerned about sending out a signal strong enough for the bad guys to be able to hack my computer or the car. So what are my options? I'm not a techie so I'm new to this stuff. Thank you.

How to get update: wait. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When Tesla feels like it they'll push the update for your car. Connecting to Wi-Fi will help you get it sooner, but even if you're not connected to your home network it will eventually download over the LTE connection.

Adding a Wi-Fi extender does not make your network or your car any easier to hack. Have a decent password on the network and you'll be okay there. The car will continue to be fine — it'd take a concerted effort to get into it through Wi-Fi (either by spoofing your existing network or tricking you into connecting to an elicit network). Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know who you are, but odds are the bad guys aren't interested in you specifically or your car.

Make sure all of your tire valves are pointed towards Fremont. :)

This question has been asked dozens of times over the 3 1/2 years I have owned Tesla's. You will quickly learn there is absolutely no logic to the timing of updates. I've been on the front end, the back end, and the "never" end (where it seems like everyone gets the update but I never do until the next update is released).

My suggestion? Enjoy your car, and when you are done pour yourself a nice glass of wine and enjoy your life and your family.

You will get that f'ing update some day, but will have had a great time while waiting for it.

I'm having a great glass of wine sitting next to my beautiful wife right now (I know - I need to get off this site ASAP).

Now if I could just get that update to make my AP2 hardware work.

How to get update: wait. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know who you are, but odds are the bad guys aren't interested in you specifically or your car.

That's what they WANT me to think! LOL

Thank you, I had no idea this was such an "ethereal" issue? <grin> The reason I ask is that I've got a new model "S" P100D and want to get the "Ludicrous Plus" update that I saw on the Dragtimes video. The update is: v8.0 (2.52.22) All joking aside, how do the updates get sent out? It would seem that anyone would be able to get an update once it is broadcast?

Make sure all of your tire valves are pointed towards Fremont. :)

This question has been asked dozens of times over the 3 1/2 years I have owned Tesla's. You will quickly learn there is absolutely no logic to the timing of updates. I've been on the front end, the back end, and the "never" end (where it seems like everyone gets the update but I never do until the next update is released).

My suggestion? Enjoy your car, and when you are done pour yourself a nice glass of wine and enjoy your life and your family.

You will get that f'ing update some day, but will have had a great time while waiting for it.

I'm having a great glass of wine sitting next to my beautiful wife right now (I know - I need to get off this site ASAP).

Now if I could just get that update to make my AP2 hardware work.

Congrats on the 100D Isn't it, "mind boggling?" !!! It seems that "maybe" I'm getting to the point that my brain isn't getting quite so "scrambled," when I punch it from a standing start. LOL

All joking aside, how do the updates get sent out? It would seem that anyone would be able to get an update once it is broadcast?

Tesla likes to test updates on portion of the fleet instead of on the entire fleet at one time.

Some updates go to only a small number of cars, while others are much more widespread updates.

There is some computer system at Tesla that decides what cars get what updates, and then those updates are pushed to the cars. When the update is completely downloaded to your car, you get notified, and then it is up to you to install it.

A great tool that you can make even better by adding your data is @HankLloydRight's Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App. You can see what updates are being sent out, how many people received each update, when they received the update, etc. I highly recommend using this site, and adding your data to it.

Tesla likes to test updates on portion of the fleet instead of on the entire fleet at one time.

Some updates go to only a small number of cars, while others are much more widespread updates.

There is some computer system at Tesla that decides what cars get what updates, and then those updates are pushed to the cars. When the update is completely downloaded to your car, you get notified, and then it is up to you to install it.

A great tool that you can make even better by adding your data is @HankLloydRight's Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App. You can see what updates are being sent out, how many people received each update, when they received the update, etc. I highly recommend using this site, and adding your data to it.
Great info! Thank you very much. I will follow your advice. :)

Reactions: Andyw2100