Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I have a CPO 2013 P85 that I took delivery of this past Tuesday. Just putting the pedal to the floor and testing the acceleration, it definitely does not feel much faster than a regular 85. 0-60 appears to be well over 5 seconds, just by counting while watching the speed. I haven't done something more scientific where I let an app count for me once it starts to feel some acceleration (does anyone have a good app for that on android?), but it feels like that app is going to give me worse news. By my count, I'm looking at 5.5 seconds or thereabouts; it really starts running out of steam around 45-50mph. Looks like the max power output is around 320kw. The power meter in the IC maxes out around there.

Questions:
1) what should the max output power be when stomping on the pedal staring from a stop?
2) what should the 0-60 time be?
3) what state of charge do I need to meet the actual 0-60 spec Tesla gives? Is it only at 100%?

Thanks!

Have you tried to get over 85 mph? It sounds like it still has software limitations on it. If it does not go over 85 it has a software throttle that loaners have and you can call tesla support and they can remove it.

I use the "Dashboard for Tesla" app that is on android. If you find the thread on this board there are codes to unlock it for free for a day and it has a 0-60 timer as a function.

I think the p85 0-60 is 3.9 per a quick googling. ( Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster, Model S P85, Model X & more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats! )

I don't know the max output for a p85, mine is an s85.

It should be noticeably faster than an S85 and not "run out of steam" at 45-50mph. I can punch mine at 70mph and still scare myself with almost breaking it loose. It's actually hard for me to get a full power launch from zero since I am not running sportier tires and they tend to spin. (I am no skilled performance driver or anything)

I would do as above and take it above 85mph to make sure the loaner limit isn't in place.

If that is not the case, then yeah, start measuring and see what you are actually getting. Then off to the service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18 and raphy3
Oh those P85 loaner days when I would punch it at 40 and it would wiggle between 2 lanes. Scared the crap out of me at first, but then had a lot of fun with them. And no, they should not feel like an 85. I've driven many P and non P 85's and I could tell you in 10 seconds of driving it whether it is Performance or not...
OK yeah that was my thought too. I drove a 70D and thought "this isn't very fast" and have been thinking my current car feels like that 70D. The difference should be obvious and not need to be analyzed with a microscope. Just to be safe I'm charging it up right now and won't try again until I have 85-90% SOC.

Get us some power readings. The 320KW scale is the same as the 85 but it's actually pumping out more than that if it's working right. What SOC are you testing? You should get 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds at 90%.

The 85 peaks around 315KW @90%. The P85 is closer to 375 @90%.

Does the display say P85 when you press the Tesla symbol on the top middle of the display?

Yes, the biggest difference is 0-60 between the two, but the P85 is still way faster at any speed above that as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: raphy3
Get us some power readings. The 320KW scale is the same as the 85 but it's actually pumping out more than that if it's working right. What SOC are you testing? You should get 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds at 90%.

The 85 peaks around 315KW @90%. The P85 is closer to 375 @90%.

Does the display say P85 when you press the Tesla symbol on the top middle of the display?

Yes, the biggest difference is 0-60 between the two, but the P85 is still way faster at any speed above that as well.
Thanks for this info. That worries me. It certainly says p85 everywhere in the software and all, but the power meter (i think of it as our stand in for a tachometer) has a max reading of like 320kW. So if it went up to 375 I wouldn't be able to tell since the scale doesn't change when I juice. Honestly I was expecting it to do something smart like autoscale with Max power output. Is there a better way to measure the power? Perhaps the app that was mentioned can do it. As soon as I get out of work I'm going to test these things.

A single motor P85 does not have a user selectable sport mode.
Yeah I don't have many settings to play with. I tried at 86% charge and still same "sluggish" acceleration. Got it out to 95mph on the interstate so I guess loaner or valet mode is not the problem. It definitely feels different yesterday and today than when I first got it. It was breaking loose at jolts to the pedal Tuesday and Wednesday - you could tell its a powerful car - but yesterday and today the traction control doesn't even kick in when I floor it. Time to measure the actual time to 60 and call tesla I guess.

Yeah I don't have many settings to play with. I tried at 86% charge and still same "sluggish" acceleration. Got it out to 95mph on the interstate so I guess loaner or valet mode is not the problem. It definitely feels different yesterday and today than when I first got it. It was breaking loose at jolts to the pedal Tuesday and Wednesday - you could tell its a powerful car - but yesterday and today the traction control doesn't even kick in when I floor it. Time to measure the actual time to 60 and call tesla I guess.

What is your 90% rated miles? I wonder if you have a battery problem that just hasn't thrown any codes yet. My 90% on my 2013 is around 230 with 50k miles. If yours is a lot lower, you may have a bad module.

In my experience, the biggest limiting factor in 0-60 runs for this car is its tires. Most configurations come with all-seasons, and they really struggle for traction at takeoff.

The P85+ loaner I had last month was certainly like this - the all season 19s it wore spun very easily except in a straight line. I'm not sure how much they were limiting it in a straight line, but it felt quite a lot quicker off the line than my X75D, whereas I'm pretty sure my X was slightly faster in an accelerating turn (presumably from AWD traction.)

If this spec chart is to be believed, the P85 indeed maxes out on 310 kW, which is consistent with its original spec of 420 hp. The motor can take more, but the battery output is limited.

In my experience, the biggest limiting factor in 0-60 runs for this car is its tires. Most configurations come with all-seasons, and they really struggle for traction at takeoff.

Yup... I switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's in order to get better traction than the OEM MXM4's. Made a huge difference... was very happy. There should be a very noticeable difference over an S85, but also clearly diminishes with higher speed.

What is your 90% rated miles? I wonder if you have a battery problem that just hasn't thrown any codes yet. My 90% on my 2013 is around 230 with 50k miles. If yours is a lot lower, you may have a bad module.
Let's see the rated miles is 220 at 85% right now. Stopped charging there last night. Rated at 100% when I first charged it was 256. However, it predicts I will get 194 (i guess based on the way I've been driving) and ideal range at 85% is 255. So these seem normal. I guess the 194 number is nothing to worry about and probably comes from me trying to max out the power.

If this spec chart is to be believed, the P85 indeed maxes out on 310 kW, which is consistent with its original spec of 420 hp. The motor can take more, but the battery output is limited.

Interestingly, the HP of p85 got upgraded to like 470 at one point. The 416 number was referring to the minimum depending on SOC IIRC. Others have mentioned that should be able to get close to 400kw output....
I believe I have summer tires on these 21's. Tuesday and Wednesday it jumped all over the place. Thursday and Friday it felt like granny slapped her speed limiter on it. I toggled valet mode on and then off in the app to be sure. I'll go check in the car in a few. I wonder if maybe the TC was off the first two days and that's the difference; I can't remember.
I got the free trial on the dashboard app. Gonna clock 0-60 today and log power. I'll report back to you guys.
if there is something limiting the power output of my battery, I'm going to bug tesla about it, because I paid for acceleration! The butt dyno is not happy :p

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc