Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get rid of swirls on paint after hand wash/drying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As is with most Tesla owners who like to hand wash, I love cleaning and detailing the car by hand. But with hand washing and drying with a microfiber matt come those dreaded swirls on the paint that show. And they show a lot more from a distance in the sun. How do you guys take care of that? Any suggestions?

As is with most Tesla owners who like to hand wash, I love cleaning and detailing the car by hand. But with hand washing and drying with a microfiber matt come those dreaded swirls on the paint that show. And they show a lot more from a distance in the sun. How do you guys take care of that? Any suggestions?

A GreenWorks Cordless Blower does the job for me.

Amazon.com : GreenWorks 24352 24V 130MPH Dual Speed Cordless Blower, 2Ah Battery and Charger Included : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Polishing and waxing will take care of it for the most part. If you are asking how to prevent them when hand washing, then you may already know the proper two bucket method, work from top down with no circular motions (forget what Mr. Miyagi taught you). I preceed this with a power washer rinse-soap cannon touchless wash to get as much grit off as possible.

I take you have a black Tesla...swirls are the most visible... my X is black and despite all the precautions, I still get swirl marks.

As above ^^^^ and air dry/leafblower followed by a good chamois/microfiber towels. Foam canons are great for pre-soke. If you are going to machine polish, recomend a dual action polisher, very hard to damage the paint vs a rotary polisher.

The paint is super soft on a Tesla due to California laws on paints. First thing every Tesla owner should do is Ceramic Coat their cars. It will cost you $800-1000, but for god sakes you just spent over $100k. This means no scratching, no waxing and no swirls. I applied Nanohide™ to mine. But other coatings work well. Nanohide™ is self healing, so that appealed to me. But I like Pearl Nano™, Ceramic Pro™ and Opti Coat Pro™ also. Do yourself a favor, get it done asap.

The paint is super soft on a Tesla due to California laws on paints. First thing every Tesla owner should do is Ceramic Coat their cars. It will cost you $800-1000, but for god sakes you just spent over $100k. This means no scratching, no waxing and no swirls. I applied Nanohide™ to mine. But other coatings work well. Nanohide™ is self healing, so that appealed to me. But I like Pearl Nano™, Ceramic Pro™ and Opti Coat Pro™ also. Do yourself a favor, get it done asap.

I second this. Getting Opticoat Pro was the best decision I made besides getting the actual car. A must have imo.

You could use a detail spray and plush microfiber towel. Go in straight lines.
Better yet put klasse all in one followed by klasse high gloss sealant glaze.

The water and dirt practically slides off. I also use both klasse on the windshield l. Better than rainx.
I have been driving in rain for a few days and except for the bumper it's looking pretty clean.

We deal with this on a daily basis. We have more than 200 Tesla owners now using our Waterless wash system. Depending on how bad the damage is, It may need to be corrected by a rotary buffer and a compound. Many customers come to us to your very issue. We then correct the damage and educate them on our wash method and why it is safer then traditional wash methods in most cases. The attached video gives you an overview. If you have any questions please ask.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
So after 20 months of ownership and 19,000 miles of driving the paint on my Model S looks a mess and I definitely will use a coat when I purchase my next car.. but there are so many choices.. how do I decide?
A good detailer can make it look new again and then you can coat it. Most of the coatings are really good and very similar. I would find a good local detailer that you like and use whatever they recommend. I am looking into this Nanohide stuff myself, that has self healing properties.

this is what works for me in south florida after a lot of trial and error with many, many other products.

Weekly
Wash with: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz
then spray this on (while the car is damp): Meguiar's D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax
Dry with waffle microfiber: Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel
If it is date night, use this as well: Meguiar's D15501 Last Touch Spray Detailer

Every 6 months or so:
Start with this: Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish (using PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher) w/ chemical guys pads
Then this: Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0
or this: Meguiar's G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax

Done

Wheels:
Weekly: Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner
Quarterly: remove wheels, detail wheel wells and brake calipers

39K on the 70
12K on the 90

I use either Aurora 3000 or Meguiar's Swirl-X. The Aurora is a silicone, kind acts like a filler rather than an abrasive The Swirl-X is a super-fine abrasive in a carrier. A soft sponge pad at low (2000 or so) speed on a polisher seems to work well. Wax now and then- Meguiar's Gold or Blue Coral. Do not do this work in sunlight as the polishing materials dry quickly and creates small rocks- not a good situation. LIghtly dust off any residues with a microfiber towel or a california mop.