Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get the best times with my 21" wheels (Signature SV104) at the drag strip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Last week I was only being able to do 9.6 - 9.8 seconds at the drag strip. It is frustrating to see other Plaids with 21s running 9.2 - 9.4 seconds.
My 60' times ranging from 1.64 to 1.76 implies the problem is at launch. I didn't hear/feel slippage until late in the evening.
Tesla Plaid Channel has mentioned that his 21" car was not as fast as his 19" car but I do not know how far apart they were. He also mentioned recently to start with recommended tire pressure.
I have the stock Michelin PS4S 265/35/21 in the front and the rears are 315/30/21 because I could not find 295 width.
Last week I was running tire pressure about 3 pounds low. Since then I have done a bunch of 0-60 launches on the street with different tire pressures. There was not a ton of variance but the recommended tire pressure did yield the best average times. I am going out again tomorrow night and will run with the recommended 40 psi.
What else can I do to improve my 60' and ET on these 21s? It is a test n tune so I can try a few different things and appreciate all suggestions. Thanks

Not sure how good the track prep is where you race, but a 1.64 60' will not get you a 9.3-9.4. You will definitely need a 1.4 or low 1.5. Were there other Plaid cars at the track that day running 9.2-9.4 or are you just quoting internet times? If you are just referencing the internet, then my first thought is track prep. The Tesla Plaid Channel normally runs at Bradenton in FL and the track prep there is usually very good. As was also mentioned, what was your battery SOC on your runs? What were your trap speeds? I also assume you are driving around any water they may have in place for slick cars and your AC is off. Both of those have the potential of having you drag water to the starting line.

On a decently prepped track with a 90%+ SOC, you should be seeing at least low 1.5 60 fts and ~150 MPH trap speeds with ETs in the 9.3-9.4 range. I also assume you were in Drag Strip Mode on your passes. The 315 tire you are using is likely a few pounds heavier, but the diameter is pretty close to factory height. If there is another 1/4 mile track relatively close, I might try to go there and see if it's not just as simple as a poorly prepped surface on the track you are running at.

My $0.02.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Went to the local strip in OH this Friday. I have a Plaid S with stock 19's and stock tires. About 6k on those tires. It was my first time really, previously i had a hellcat 2016 M6. Only tried twice with that car since i couldn't hook up, so I'm very green at the track. Arrived @ 97% SOC and ran 9 times. Best run was a 1.51 60' and 9.33 @150.10. That was the 4th run @88%. my best 60' was my 7th run at 83% @ 1.4799. That run was a 9.3 also but 147.3 MPH. I assume that since my 60' was better i had less time to build speed. I can't compare to other tracks since this is all i have but car ran same 9.3's until about 71%. Then I started to see 9.4's

Not sure how good the track prep is where you race, but a 1.64 60' will not get you a 9.3-9.4. You will definitely need a 1.4 or low 1.5. Were there other Plaid cars at the track that day running 9.2-9.4 or are you just quoting internet times? If you are just referencing the internet, then my first thought is track prep. The Tesla Plaid Channel normally runs at Bradenton in FL and the track prep there is usually very good. As was also mentioned, what was your battery SOC on your runs? What were your trap speeds? I also assume you are driving around any water they may have in place for slick cars and your AC is off. Both of those have the potential of having you drag water to the starting line.

On a decently prepped track with a 90%+ SOC, you should be seeing at least low 1.5 60 fts and ~150 MPH trap speeds with ETs in the 9.3-9.4 range. I also assume you were in Drag Strip Mode on your passes. The 315 tire you are using is likely a few pounds heavier, but the diameter is pretty close to factory height. If there is another 1/4 mile track relatively close, I might try to go there and see if it's not just as simple as a poorly prepped surface on the track you are running at.

My $0.02.
No other Plaids there so I'm just going by internet time slips. I'm starting to think it is prep also. My 2 teen sons came out to video my runs and I was shocked to hear the amount of spin. Very obvious outside the car but I didn't hear it inside.

Most runs were above 90% SOC and dragstrip mode was on. There was an incident and the track got oiled which took a while to clean up so I did not get as many runs in as I would like. I did have better times as I reduced tire pressure. Here are 2 slips. The solo run had a lot of tire slippage and was at 39.5psi. The second one I could not hear because of the other car but it was a better 60' and was at 36.5psi. I did not get to try lower pressures as I ran out of time.

IMG_6800.jpeg

IMG_6801.jpeg

That is what I am expecting and I'm frustrated that I can't get there. As far as I know the next nearest track is about 100 miles away with no superchargers nearby so it would be difficult to get there and run with a decent SOC. I'll keep looking for alternatives.

Reactions: gnxs
Why do you leave so early ? R/T has no affect on your ET . You need to use launch control to get better 60' . it takes around 7-8 seconds for the Plaid to have the LC [ cheetah mode] fully ready .

Why do you leave so early ? R/T has no affect on your ET . You need to use launch control to get better 60' . it takes around 7-8 seconds for the Plaid to have the LC [ cheetah mode] fully ready .
I tried it a couple times but times did not improve. I'll go back to LC when I can and try again.

Here is my best slip with LC.

IMG_6805 (1).jpeg